G/O Digital Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2019

2.6
G/O Digital President and CEO Tim Fagan (no image)
Tim Fagan
Pros
  • "I've been in multiple roles at G/O over the past four years and am incredibly thankful to be working for this company(in 21 reviews)

• "G/O Digital is a fun environment with really talented people(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "You will NOT learn anything beyond the very basics at G/O Digital(in 24 reviews)

• "Little room for advancement (in fulfillment) unless you're close friends with a team lead or someone in upper management(in 15 reviews)

1. "Acct. Management - Time working at G/O was Great!"

5.0
    Former Employee - Platinum AM

I worked at G/O Digital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Solid Colleagues and always room for growth and Leadership was solid too for the most part. Including the CEO. A lot of people say nasty things and truthfully listen to what you will, but their previous CEO Tim would get in the trenches and work hard at helping everyone in every way he could.

Cons

Some office Admin were kind of rude and there was a disconnect with Fulfillment and Client Services, which tends to happen in companies. The Mindsets of each division are different. Fulfillment delivery/Red Reports etc. and Retention, growth, ROI upsell/cross-sell. Once you understand that, then it's easy to compromise and come together as one.

"CEO Incompetence"

2.0

I worked at G/O Digital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great fellow employees Good benefits

Cons

Tim Fagan ran the company into the ground forcing massive layoffs. But he still has a job. Typical corporate America. Complete mismanagement from the top to the middle.

"It was good and then it wasn't"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at G/O Digital full-time

Pros

Motivational CEO - had a way of telling a positive narrative

Cons

That narrative didn't end up being true

4. "Marketing"

I worked at G/O Digital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Location and potential advancement.

Cons

To many buyouts and company restructuring.

"G/O Company"

2.0
    Former Employee - Digital Media Specialist

I worked at G/O Digital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, decent training before you start, good benefits, covered/garage parking, Tegna discounts

Cons

Many cliques in the company, work really hard to not get promoted, felt I was dragged along, a lot of talk about promotions and raises, too many transitions and the company did not handle transitioning from Gannett to Tegna well (TON of layoffs)

Continue reading

"Turn And Run - Far, Far Away"

I worked at G/O Digital full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. The people. Since everyone is at a relatively young age, we all get along really well. We all also have the same thing in common...we hate it there. I can probably count on one hand the amount of current employees that are happy there. 2. They will take literally anyone that is willing to work there, whether they have experience or not. They just need bodies in seats to push buttons. In fact, the less experience, the better because then they don't have to pay you as much. So if you like to be told how to do your job from someone that has no idea how to do it themselves, this is the perfect place. 3. Free snacks in the break room. (Although some are expired). 4. You get to leave at the end of the day.

Cons

1. Lack of confidence in the company or in management. You can file complaints with audio/video evidence of poor management and nothing will be done about it. 2. No opportunity for growth. If you were lucky enough to be provided with an outline of the career path, count your blessings. Make sure you have it documented and signed by both parties. If not, they will claim they never outlined or promised a career path in the first place. 3. Lack of training. Their training program is essentially a 'Sit & Stare". If you stare at the screen long enough, then you might figure out how to do your "job".

Continue reading

"I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I’m working"

I have been working at G/O Digital

Pros

You might get laid off. In terms of actual work it’s the easiest job you will ever have. Oversight is minimal and expectations are low.

Cons

Middle management and team leads are sycophantic and ineffectual. Their sole job seems to be finding new ways to slow down formerly efficient processes. People are regularly “managed out” and any issues are dealt with passive aggressively instead of directly. Nothing can be discussed in confidence. Every “private” meeting you have, be it with management or HR, will be discussed with other employees. It’s a return to a high school social structure including popularity contests, gossip, and sucking up to get a “good grade”. No investment in employee growth. Management would rather award false accolades and pat themselves on the back than actually acknowledge what it is that their employees actually do. Ever seen the movie “Office Space”?

"Listen to Jack Donaghy and shut it down."

Former Employee - Fulfillment in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at G/O Digital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the people. Well, those who haven’t gotten out and experienced freedom and way more money yet. Turnaround is so high that I’m not sure who works there anymore. It’s an easy job because you’re not held accountable for your actions. Did you spell the client's name wrong and run ads for an entire year while never once looking at it and racking up $20k in spend? No worries! Your manager will just blame the Account Manager or client. Work laptop that you can take home. Kind of nice but you have to give it back when you’re fired or figure out you’re too good for G/O.

Cons

Work Relay - the task/project management system. Someone decided it would be a fantastic idea to fire all the Project Managers, probably because they didn’t know what they did, and get this fancy new “automated” system for managing tasks and projects. The problem is, the people developing the new system never worked in the old one and didn’t quite understand the fulfillment process. It is full of bugs. You can’t organize your tasks. Sometimes you can enter all your information into a task and when you try to save it, it just deletes it (fun!). Tasks are also automatically assigned to it is impossible to gauge workload from a manager's perspective. But that really doesn’t matter because managers have no idea what the process is. But they’ve invested literally millions of dollars into it so they’re never gonna give it up and admit their mistake. Management. They used to be good. And I have no idea what happened in the last year+ to make things so bad. I think the problem is is that they don’t manage. They want so badly to be your friend and don’t know how to be a manager. There is no constructive feedback, ever. Everything is fine until you make a mistake that they can’t sweep under the rug and then you’re micromanaged until you eventually quit. But you can push your limits pretty far until there is any sort of punishment. I saw an employee literally HIT a manager and it was never reported and nothing happened. Management also has fallen pretty out of touch with the product so that makes giving feedback hard too. Can’t really develop your employees if you don’t know what’s going on with your product. Empty promises. They love to talk about career development and all the wonderful things you can do at the company but 99% of the time, that never happens. Their mindset is that you should do the job (for an undetermined amount of time) before you’re even considered for a promotion. Which I somewhat agree with but there needs to be follow up. Not just do the job until “Finance” says they have the budget to promote someone. I saw an employee do a job test for a month and never got feedback. That’s because management thought he was too valuable at his current position to even consider moving him to a different department. Don’t believe all the talk, they’re not going to actually promote you. Sorry. Being at the mercy of the markets. G/O is under the company Tegna which has sales teams/markets all over the country that sell all the products Tegna offers, G/O Digital being one of them. G/O has a set of rules aka deliverables which dictates what is offered in a product. Those are supposed to be set but they’re more or less a light suggestion at this point. All they have to do is threaten to cancel and they’ll get whatever they want. Want to change your ads every few days for no good reason? DONE. Decide you want multiple goals even though you’re thousands of dollars under the threshold? DONE. It would be one thing if it was the actual client wanting these changes but 95% of the time its the sales teams playing specialist and thinking they know what’s best. The DCSMs need to do a better job managing these relationships and not letting the specialist get walked all over. Also, let them cancel and stand up for once. These accounts are already mad if they’re threatening to cancel. Odds are you’re going to spend more in paying your employees to meet their demands than what they’re actually spending. Ever hear of service creep? Big problem here.

"Steer Clear"

I worked at G/O Digital full-time

Pros

Some of the people and free snacks

Cons

Everything - management, compensation, getting pigeonholed into nontransferable skills/responsibilities...the list goes on and on. Do yourself a favor and just don't.

"Telemarketing Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at G/O Digital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Younger crowd with high energy

Cons

High pressure phone sales with minimal lead support

Found 156 reviews