G&S Business Communications Reviews in Raleigh-Durham, NC | Glassdoor

Raleigh-Durham, NC Area

4.5
Luke Lambert

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great work/life balance. Enjoyed my time with G&S"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at G&S Business Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with some solid benefits (lots of vacation, pays well, amazing insurance, 401K contributions). The office is always buzzing and the scope of your job is very structured and adhered to. Work/life is perfect - you work 8 hours, you go home. No weekend work. Beautiful office in a great part of Raleigh. Respected in my position. It was the hardest job I have ever left (and only did so because of a chance to 'live the dream' and go non-profit) and would go back.

Cons

Lacking in culture which is a difficult place to be a creative. But the leadership team is working really hard to change it so I see great things out of HR/company engagement. I honestly do not have cons here - there is a client or two I didn't love working for (that was for my own personal reasons) so I jumped on other projects and it wasn't a big deal.

Advice to Management

I don't have any, I mean - the CEO sent me a birthday card. As in the TOP LEVEL of this company recognized the 'little guy' and made a point to connect. And the VP/top dog in Raleigh is just a really amazing person. I loved the HR department and the project managers are seriously amazing.

2. "An oldschool company with a mixed bag of workers"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Gibbs & Soell Raleigh office has an employee base primarily of young twenty-somethings just out of college. If this is your first job out of college, you'll definitely get the work experience you need to move on to a mid-level PR role within two years, and you'll be surrounded by peers your age. If you're not a great writer, this place will cultivate those skills. The PTO plan was great.

Cons

If you're at the Raleigh office, you'll more than likely have only one client, and the work can get pretty dull and repetitive. The management is really the luck of the draw-- some are amazingly kind, care about your career growth, and will be mentors to you. Others are micromanagers who will not hesitate to deploy intimidation practices. After a couple years of working here, I do not think there are many new skills you could learn, since the work is so repetitive. You will get promoted if you do what you are told, but it's not an environment that fosters creativity. Pay isn't great but is about what you can expect for a PR firm.

Advice to Management

If you want a company with a high-turnover rate, keep doing what you're doing. If you want to create a strong reputation and get tenure with talent, get with the times and let go of old business practices. Make the office a fun, open place to spend your 8-5. Seek out bold, independent thinkers-- these people and their ideas will set you apart as a firm.

"G&S is moving ahead"

I have been working at G&S Business Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

G&S has changed exponentially since I started working here summer of 2014. The company is constantly looking to expand their client base with a focus in energy and companies with technical/science backgrounds. While there is definitely a single client in the Raleigh office who almost everyone at the agency touches on at least once or twice, they're doing everything in their power to make sure we're not a one client company. With G&S, you will be in a cube but you will be encouraged to COLLABORATE. With expanding digital and creative departments, teams are constantly engaging with other coworkers to find the best way to handle things. While clients can be hard to convince (this isn't rare in the PR industry), anyone at G&S will be willing to sit in on a pitch or meeting to help backup your strategy if they were involved with planning. If you're looking for a job where you're not forced into doing the same thing every day, this is the job for you. I've gotten a chance to work on a multitude of projects ranging from digital, trade shows, event planning, media relations, point-of-purchase displays etc. One of my favorite things about this job is the hours. You are free to work 7:30-4:30, 8-5 or 8:30-5:30 and can work from home if you have a sick child, dog, or just need to be at home (this isn't an every day thing, but an as needed thing). If you're a JAE or an AE, expect to get about 18 days of PTO for the year. They will allow you to work from home if you are sick and can function so that you don't have to work every day and you get one day a month where you can leave at lunchtime.

Since we have offices in Chicago, Raleigh and NYC, they'll usually let you move from one to the other if you want to move.

Upper management has been very transparent and is easy to talk to.

Lastly, new office in North Hills soon for the Raleigh location.

Cons

Since clients are largely technically based, this could get boring to some people.
    If you start right out of college, you pretty much have to wait a year to become AE and raises are typically small (but around industry average).
    Your time at G&S can be amazing or very dull based on the manager you get to work with. Most managers are G&S are great and allow you to do your work (and present it as yours) but I do know of some that aren't as great.
    Cubes
    Easy to get pigeon holed if you don't speak up with other interests but as long as you do, they will usually find a way to accommodate you.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to expand, include and improve. Notice the managers who are clear favorites and find ways to encourage their best qualities to other managers. This is a huge factor in determining someone's experience at the office.

4. "Great place to work with"

Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Junior Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at G&S Business Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome work environment, great people and lots of opportunities for growth

Cons

Noteworthy clients, but very specialize and can be a bit technical/boring for certain people

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The agency is really doing well.

5. "Ch-ch-ch-changes"

Current Employee - Public Relation Specialist/Junior Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The company culture is really authentic. The people here are so kind and know how to have a good time. From what I've heard, this year has been a big change after rebranding as G&S Business Communications. I'm getting amazing experience and growing as an individual. The office is moving to an amazing new sky rise in North Hills this summer. I really see this company growing and evolving into something special. Supervisors are really flexible and really care about helping you grow into the professional you are meant to be.

Cons

Quick-Paced, Closed environment (soon to change)

"Junior Account Executive"

Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

I worked at G&S Business Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of young people fresh out of school - convenient office location - entry-level received own office with plenty of space

Cons

Closed off / isolated office, people just stayed in the office, lack of community - work could be boring at times - lack of transparency from the top down

Advice to Management

Create a more exciting culture and atmosphere, then the work might not seem as boring with exciting things in the office.

7. "Not glamorous but incredibly accommodating"

I have been working at G&S Business Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job security, incredible management, work acknowledgement

Cons

Not very exciting work and sometimes overwhelming

Advice to Management

Keep expanding opportunities

8. "Diverse tasks, excellent work/life balance, large group of young professionals."

I have been working at G&S Business Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours for a PR company are the best I've ever heard of. I rarely work past 5pm. Benefits--PTO, health, dental, etc. are pretty good. The company is growing quickly and is very highly rated among major global PR companies. Management is doing more and more to broaden its services and clients, increase number of employees, and strengthen internal culture.

Cons

Salary is low. Good or bad work experience depends on supervisor and team structure--some are better than others. If you like to work on multiple clients in multiple industries, G&S probably isn't for you. Most people work with one client, and it's an agriculture business, which many people are uninterested in.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries to decrease turnover. Also be careful about who's hired; some people come off very unprofessional and unqualified, which can be discouraging for other employees internally and gives a bad impression to clients.

9. "A Great Place to Start a Career in PR"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Office equipment, travel opportunities, the people, the variety of tasks, enjoyable work.

Cons

Too light of workloads for new employees, and too heavy for seasoned employees, lack of good new employee training program.

Advice to Management

Better communication, transparency. More emphasis on work-life balance.