G2 Inc. Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Software Engineer

4.8
Paul Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Having the ability to effect change from within is crucial and G2 provides a great place to do that" (in 5 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance is still valued" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "There's not a lot of hand holding going on here with career development and no onerous HR processes related to it" (in 2 reviews)

• "Tea options for the Keurigs and maybe a beverage fridge for non-soda drinking choices to supplement the awesome kitchen" (in 2 reviews)

1. "Family Culture and Challenging Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jessup, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Jessup, MD

I have been working at G2 Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at G2 a little over a year and have nothing but amazing things to say. Having worked at both start-ups and large enterprises, G2 is the best of all worlds. It is a family culture where people know you and look out for one another on both a personal and professional level. The often-disguised toxicity of a "fast-paced" environment is non-existent which allows engineers to push boundaries without overwhelming stress and impossible expectations. The engineering talent is incredible and humble, and the work is challenging and appealing. Teams are engaged and solve tough problems with teamwork. Leadership supports new initiatives and new approaches to move the bar forward. Their approach allows processes to adapt to the problem and grow more organically between different teams. Having the ability to effect change from within is crucial and G2 provides a great place to do that. Benefits, both traditional (health, 401k, etc.) and non-traditional (education, team-building, company events) are equally amazing.

Cons

If you prefer a more rigid environment or large hierarchies, G2 is probably not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing - looking after your people and bringing challenging work and talented people to the table.

2. "Great People, Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at G2 Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A people first company, G2 values it's employees and will give you the opportunities IF you ask for them. It's a company where YOU make the best of your employment and make good friends in the process.

Cons

Smaller company, so some of their processes are less defined. In some cases, that can lead to disorganization.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Never relinquish the employee first mentality.

May 1, 2018 – Lead Resource Manager

I think you hit the nail on the head with your review. We encourage our internal moves process so asking about new opportunities at G2 key. In other companies that is frowned upon. We don't see that... More

3. "G2 is a Software Engineer's Dream"

Current Employee - Cloud Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD
    Current Employee - Cloud Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at G2 Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

G2 attracts highly qualified, talented engineering talent to work on in-house and customer solutions, and so far as a new employee, I have found that we have amazing colleagues who are deeply vested in helping the team succeed. I am learning new tools and developing expertise in domains that I have wanted to get into for several years; that it is finally happening on funded work is awesome. The culture is rich here, and fun as well. I love coming to work.

Cons

The downsides are minimal at this point from my perspective. Tea options for the Keurigs and maybe a beverage fridge for non-soda drinking choices to supplement the awesome kitchen? Seems like I'm having to really reach on this one.

Advice to Management

Never lose the drive and passion that Paul and the rest of the team continually show, especially as we are now no longer a "Small Company".

Jan 18, 2018 – Lead Resource Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are very grateful! You highlight much of we aim to achieve every single day. We will continue our drive and passion in support of our customers... More

4. "Great People & Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at G2 Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

G2 Inc. is a company full of great people, from our CEO all the way down to our newest engineers. Management is very accessible and understanding. The culture here is focused on innovation and bringing the best solutions to our customers, while at the same time, allowing employees to follow their own passions. Benefits are top notch too!

Cons

There's not a lot of hand holding going on here with career development and no onerous HR processes related to it. You really need to be devoted to your own progression here. Luckily, the generous and flexible training budget makes that easy.

Oct 27, 2017 – Lead Resource Manager

Great review, thanks! The "cons" are pretty well spot on. Career development requires both of us to work hard.
    Our training/education budget is generous you are right. $10,000 per year can go a... More

5. "Smart people working for all the right reasons"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Annapolis Junction, MD

I have been working at G2 Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open, creative, innovative environment. Technology people from all walks of life working on some meaningful, challenging work. Family values and open door policies across management. Strong benefits and compensation. Large number of contracts for a smaller company with plenty of position flexibility.

Cons

if you are not intrinsically motivated you may struggle with the pace and drive of the other engineers. Various typical pains while dealing with mostly federal gov contracts.

Jun 30, 2014 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to write this review!

My big take away from your comments are being "Intrinsically Motivated". You hit the nail on the head! At G2 we deliberately hire candidates... More

"Small Company with Large Company Overhead"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MD

Pros

plenty of contracts. Management pays you while you are on the bench between contracts. flexible hours. Fully stocked fridge w/free sodas, snack, fruit, etc. Game room. Happy Hours

Cons

Lots of overhead, which leads to lower than industry standard pay. There are other companies of similar size that do not have as many people on overhead (aka non-billable folks) and pay much more while still providing similar benefits/atmosphere

Advice to Management

Lay off people that arent billable. Pay your talented employees above the standard. If you want the best, then pay the best.