G2 Reviews | Glassdoor

G2 Reviews

Updated Jan 23, 2020

3.9
G2 Co-Founder and CEO Godard Abel  (no image)
Godard Abel

"Have really enjoyed my time at G2 so far, excited for the future"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Really great product / platform - it's constantly improving which makes it "easier" to sell -Fulfills a need in the software industry -Brand awareness has never been higher...in almost every conversation I have, the prospect knows G2 (was not the case when I started at the company). Marketing team is killing it. -Executive team has had success growing other companies, it's comforting knowing the company is very stable -Executive team does their best to be very transparent. Have monthly all-hands and SKO's twice a year. -Everyone in the company is accessible - if you need help from C-level, VP, etc you can usually reach them pretty easily. They will almost always help on deals if you ask which I appreciate. -On the sales team(s) there is a good amount of internal promotions to leadership positions. The outside hires have been outstanding. -Great benefits / perks -Offices are awesome (Chicago and SF)

Cons

-The pay for sales is average. I don't feel "underpaid" but I do know other Chicago/SF companies that pay more for similar sales roles. -We have a very tough interview/hiring process, which I can appreciate, but frustrating when we are behind on hiring goals -There are some teams (not mine) that have expressed their frustration in being micromanaged

Advice to Management

Love working at G2, truly feel lucky to have gotten in when I did. Keep being transparent with your employees and let's take this thing to the moon.

G22019-10-22

"Can be a career maker"

Former Employee - RVP of Enterprise Sales-Chicago in Chicago, IL

I worked at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Ability to expand creativity -Work in a fast past environment -Peers that are smart, driven and want to win -401k match is great -Benefits are great -Hard work goes noticed, I was one of 5 sales reps to ever get promoted to VP. -Awesome support from product marketing team for sales.

Cons

-Typical growing pains of a fast past startup which leads to miscommunication at times. -Onboarding training was lacking and needs to be revamped.

Advice to Management

The main battle of software/services reviews is a big battle with a lot of room to run. I think there could be more focus on that before taking on other battles.

G22019-10-12
  3. "Wish I got here sooner"

Current Employee - Enterprise Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Leadership knows what they are doing - the G2 family of entrepreneurs is team of tried and true experts * Customers want the product, are excited to work with G2 * Traditional tech perks are elevated here, especially in the new beautiful office: gym, lunch, breakfast foods, snacks, cold brew, kombucha, beer, wine, healthy foods * Management cares about individual growth, and provides tuition assistance and great lifestyle support (maternity/paternity leave!)

Cons

* 401k match not until 2 year cliff * Company is growing quickly, and average tenure of staff is (assumingly) dropping younger and younger. Common for blitzscaling

Advice to Management

* Create 30-60-90 day plan for onboarding, get new hires activated more quickly

G22019-10-11

"Awesome place to grow your career, despite growing pains"

Current Employee - Employee Success in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Access to executives and senior leadership, benefits are awesome, people are very intelligent, fast moving business, lots of opportunity to try new things and explore your career.

Cons

A lot of the growth changes impact people who have been around for a while (eg outside hires installed as the new boss, structural changes, unprofessional behavior that was OK with a much smaller company is no longer tolerated); Some teams seem to be burning out while others are clipping along; some teams are more siloed than they should be; budgets are not at all transparent so buying things is like asking your dad for money; certain senior leaders appear out of their depth and instead of being open about this, they appear to shut down and get defensive.

Advice to Management

Empower front-line managers to make more decisions without having to get senior leadership approval; talk more about real things at the team (department) level rather than just relying on front-line managers to communicate things they are unclear about; think about structuring teams with less hierarchy (more team-of-teams, less “insulation” by hiring tons of VPs and then directors).

G22019-10-07

"Fast Paced, Challenging Work & Amazing People"

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Lots of opportunity to make an impact quickly and continually take on new things because we’re growing so fast - G2 continually invests in their people through new trainings and resources - Clear vision for the direction of the company and leaders with a proven track record - The people here are amazing - kind, intelligent, and fun - Lots of momentum in the business, we’re on an incredible trajectory!

Cons

- We’re growing quickly so there is still a lack of process at times - Given the speed and growth, it can be hard to stay in the know about what’s happening in other teams

Advice to Management

- Keep investing in your people and helping them grow - Continue focusing on providing transparency for your users and employees

G22019-09-30
  6. "great company to work for"

Current Employee - Content Marketing Associate

I have been working at G2 full-time

Pros

competitive salary, unlimited pto, work from home capabilities, stocked kitchen, fun events

Cons

nothing really to say now

G22019-10-04

"Overall Poor Work Environment"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at G2 full-time

Pros

G2 has a good product line with strong buzz in the marketing technology vertical. They have experienced rapid growth and are currently attempting to scale in advance of a hopeful future IPO.

Cons

I believe the CEO’s strengths are product conception and development, and his record with companies at an early stage is strong. I don’t think leadership of a company at a more mature stage is in his wheelhouse, though, as he is given to various fantasies of flight which change the course and direction of the firm on an almost weekly basis. The firm is an HR nightmare waiting to happen. It is well known the sales leader won’t interview candidates over the age of 35. There are only a few people over 40 in a company of almost 400 people because they use a testing screen that filters out candidates who aren’t as close to the college experience of taking SAT-style questions.

Advice to Management

If you hire people with functional expertise in a certain area, give them space to bring that expertise to bear in that position. Spend a bit less time hawking new age motivational philosophies and more time truly embracing the values that you go over every all hands meeting.

G22019-09-26
  8. "Good so far!"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist

I have been working at G2 full-time

Pros

- Great benefits - Engaged, motivated teams - Free lunch 4 days a week - Lots of opportunities for growth - Strong culture

Cons

- Company's definitely in a growth spurt and ironing some stuff out - There could be a little more diversity

G22019-09-26
  9. "Great Environment to Learn and Start a Career"

Current Employee - Targeted Outreach Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Overall excellent work culture of support and encouragement to continue to learn and improve. The values are absolutely a representation of the people at the company. Everyone is incredibly welcoming and happy to help you. They take great care of employees with excellent benefits and perks to top it off. Very much so the tech start up feel with lots of young people who are excited to come to work every day. The mission is very genuine and transparency is abundant.

Cons

Can't think of anything.

G22019-09-24
  10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Outreach in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

G2 is great at giving you perks. They have catered lunch 4 days a week, unlimited PTO, flexible hours, you can work from home anytime you want, and more. The health insurance is also good and affordable. The overall company is younger, it still has a tech start up feel to it, even though they are out of that phase. It is easy to move up and there is a lot of room to grow.

Cons

The managers never seem to know what is going on. You have to do a lot of managing up. It's hard to know when things are happening because communication isn't always clear. They could feed us 5 days a week but they won't. The sales team is favored greatly over the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more, and give them fair pay.

G22019-09-24