G2 Reviews | Glassdoor

G2 Reviews

Updated Jan 10, 2020

3.8
G2 Co-Founder and CEO Godard Abel  (no image)
Godard Abel

"Terrible Communication"

I worked at G2 full-time

Pros

Convenient location, lunch all but one day of the week

Cons

Very, very boring work, don’t work here if you want to feel fulfilled

Advice to Management

I worked here as a temp. One day, I ask specifically what official hours are, and am told that as long as I make it 8 hours a day, I am fine. Then I get a call from my staffing agency that I should go in at 8 am. But because before that I had been going in at 9, (and sometimes later, but I didn’t do this thinking it’d be a problem) I was let go because of “attendance issues”. Basically employees can’t be bothered to communicate directly with one another. If you have a problem with someone, tell them! Don’t just fire them! People have bills to pay

G22017-12-20
  2. "Great Culture"

I worked at G2 full-time

Pros

Amazing team with a common goal to change how software buyers utilize information to make purchases.

Cons

They like to bring in talent from other major organizations. Difficult to get promoted within.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open throughout the organization.

G22017-11-14
  3. "Best tech company in the mid-west!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

+ Incredibly intelligent + humble leadership team + Awesome product and perks + Wicked friendly and group-focused culture.

Cons

- Office is great, but could benefit from a bit more colors / designs.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

G22017-10-15

"A company that invests in you - If you are invested in it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company takes into consideration what you are interested in and passionate about. Many examples of co-workers moving from one role/team to another role/team to pursue something they have a strong interest in which is awesome and unique in my mind. You are not limited to your role and there are opportunities for growth not only in your track/department. The growth stage right now also allows for a lot of team lead/management opportunities for those who excel and have leadership abilities. G2 only hires the cream of the crop. Aptitude, proven experience, and culture fit (as aligned with the values) are the things that the hiring managers are looking for. The company is rooted in very specific KPI's and core values. Everyone should know what they are working for and towards, as well as how to act. Success and those who embody the values are celebrated- team trips and employee awards are examples of the award systems for team and individual performance. The executive level team and the board are both very experienced entrepreneurs and tech experts. They have the knowledge, skills, and track record to grow a successful company. Some of the employees have followed each other from the same companies in the past, which signifies leadership expertise.

Cons

A lot of training involves observation and learning on the fly. It's great not having to sit through monotonous onboarding but nobody is going to hold your hand. Having to "figure it out" is common and may be uncomfortable for some people. In addition, being critiqued is very common. This is not a company for those who cannot handle negative/critical feedback well. The company is moving from the generalist roles to specialist roles, and not everyone is going to enjoy that - which is a typical growing pain for the size of the company. Coasting is not an option at G2. Hard-work and continually improving is important across the board. Everyone doesn't get a trophy for just coming in to work. Most roles are typically not going to be a 9-5 job. Management seems to be aware of who is investing their time in the company and those are the people that will reap the long-term benefits. Creating a diverse workforce is an ongoing concern for some team members- everyone wants to work with their friends but the best teams involve new and different perspectives that come from diverse backgrounds. Overall, the company is an amazing opportunity for people that are looking to work hard, invest in the mission and company, and constantly be challenged to do better.

Advice to Management

I have concerns around accelerated growth. Ensuring that we are equipping middle-managers to be the best as those people are going to have the direct impact on the lower levels and processes.

G22017-04-19

"Legit BDR team"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Where to begin. Mac Laptops. Free lunch everyday except Wednesday. Visionary CEO. Start up culture-- ask questions, challenge inefficient processes/practices, respect ideas at all levels. Expectations are transparent. Leadership CARES. Corporate Stewardship, check. Workplace equality and respect, check. Competitive pay with incentives. Literally, I took a base salary cut and I'm making more now because they give you the autonomy to do your job. No scripted phone calls. Great industry and competitive solution. The list keeps growing and growing why G2 Crowd is legit. Cool coworkers. Fun times. Everyone is willing to help and listen.

Cons

Ramp for meetings set, no ramp for activities. Sometimes we run out of vegetarian entrees so get to lunch on time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and recruiting and hiring talented and authentic people.

G22017-04-24

"I didn't realize that one could actually love their job"

Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2

Pros

I came from a job where they discouraged new ideas and micromanaged you until your soul was crushed. This place is the exact opposite. They coach you and deliver everything you need to succeed. Whether it's the best sales software or simply asking "how can I help?" The culture is amazing here too. Cubs games, events, dinners, free lunches 4 days a week and even beer pong in the office at times. We have a neat office downtown in the loop. People are friendly and most live in the city so there's a lot of weekend hangouts too. The best part of being an AE is you are pitching to C-Level and VPs of software companies. These people are way smarter than me and I learn from them every day. I have also been able to expand my own personal brand by working here because I have CEOs reaching out to me on a daily basis.

Cons

Since I have worked here, and all the free lunches we have had, not once has it been pizza. If you want a job, like yahoo, where you do just enough to get by - pass. Hard work is rewarded here. Also, you can't bring your dog to the office, but that's more of a building restriction.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

G22016-09-29

"Exciting Sales Environment with lots of Growth"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are great. Working here you are surrounded by dozens of very bright and motivated colleagues. Being a growing company I get the opportunity to work both with younger people and more experienced leaders. I work in sales and have gained exposure working with tons of different software companies - dealing with everything from small businesses to enterprise giants in any industry. At accounts I get to work with directors all the way up to c-level employees. Mostly inside sales but a lot of opportunities to travel to events and in-person customer/prospect meetings.

Cons

With all the growth and initiatives G2 Crowd takes on, it is very fast-paced (which is great for me personally), but this leads sometimes to a lack of communication between departments and slow response times to requests.

Advice to Management

Continue hiring smart motivated people, work on more cross-department collaboration projects

"Great Place to Grow"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at G2 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic culture and environment to establish yourself as a professional and grow your network. All members of the staff have varying backgrounds with unique connections. The perks are great without being out of control as it it appears they are at some start ups. Hard work is recognized and all ideas are heard. Lots of opportunity to take on tasks and challenge yourself.

Cons

Sometimes we don't have tacos on Tuesday. Would not recommend for someone looking for a standard 9-5. This is a start up and you need to be ambitious and willing to take on tasks and face adversity. Days can be longer at times when tasks need to be completed.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Your availability to speak to all members of the staff is greatly appreciated. It would be nice to hear the reason for any shifts in direction when they occur.

"Great place to work!"

Community Builder in Highland Park, IL

I worked at G2 for more than a year

Pros

Awesome coworkers Fun atmosphere makes working enjoyable Casual attire

Cons

Independent contractors didn't have many perks within the company but that is usually the case at all companies.

G22016-09-14

"Good culture, but growing pains"

I have been working at G2

Pros

Decent culture. Free lunch + snacks every day. Company mission is one that is easy to get, and easy to become passionate about.

Cons

Uncertainty about roles/responsibilities. Large sales team can be somewhat cliquey. Surprisingly high number of communications breakdowns. Not everyone seems to be valued equally. Location isn't the easiest to get to. The company also seems to spam a lot of people via email. (You can see some people's complaints if you search for them.)

Advice to Management

Push people on team - even if they're a founder and/or have been around a while. There seems to be a varying level of accountability.

G22016-04-20