GAI Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 26, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Gary DeJidas, P.E.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good points, and Bad at Homestead, PA"

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Homestead, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Homestead, PA

I worked at GAI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous PTO; health insurance is company owned and there are many deductible choices; most employees are overtime eligible; atypical client base with strong environmental permitting bent; growth and financial management of the company is impressive; office facility in Homestead, PA is well-beyond any consulting firm office I've ever seen.

Cons

Over-aggressive internal demands for profit and need for justification of every hour of overhead time; excessive internal organizational changes; general queasiness/uneasiness for employees as a result of stringent business demands; Company in general is not very experienced with typical design-bid-build projects; internal jockeying and politicking over personnel and projects; layoffs and firings.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to make employees feel they're less disposable and make it a better, comfortable working environment.

"A Small Company with Unrealistic Goals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at GAI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are a diverse group of people with technical backgrounds.
    The CEO is a good person but the upper management under him will destroy all his hard work.

Cons

Management, it's that simple. Upper management does not accept the fact that GAI is a small employee owned company and act like this is AECOM or HDR, etc.There is a constant emphasis on growth instead of strengthening the company as is. With that said, there have been so many layoffs that the proof is in the pudding. Upper management does not respect the employees or the clients that make them money, yet they expect GAI to grow. The middle management is also set up like a large company. There are so many managers that do nothing except milk the budget and then the highly skilled staff gets the axe. At this rate there will be lots of unskilled managers with no designers and therefore GAI will continue to sink because all the skilled employees will be working for the competition. Shame on you for your giant egos. Management continues wasting money on new offices instead of broadening their potential clients and working with realistic goals. Once again this is a SMALL company.

Advice to Management

Go back to the basics. Meaning a Project Manager with a host of skilled workers. This idea of a PM who does little work with a manager supervising this person and another two managers with one or two people on the team obviously doesn't work for a small company. There are so many managers supervising one or two people that it is absurd the amount of unskilled overhead costs. Check your egos and admit that this is a small company and maybe you can save GAI.

3. "environmental technical leader"

Current Employee - ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNICAL LEADER in Masontown, WV
    Current Employee - ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNICAL LEADER in Masontown, WV

I have been working at GAI Consultants (More than 3 years)

Pros

a great place to work

Cons

there are no cons. excellent company

"Great Environment"

Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician in Homestead, PA
    Former Employee - Helpdesk Technician in Homestead, PA

I worked at GAI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. My manager always had my back. My supervisor was really flexible with my hours while I was in school - very accommodating.

A lot of exposure to high-end technology. All my coworkers were friendly and helpful. The new CIO is a hard charger, and knows what he's doing.

The Homestead location is great. The company is big enough to have a good IT department, but small enough that you can recognize all ~300 employees in the building by name & face in only a few months. Everyone was pretty pleasant.

Regular (minimum of monthly) employee events, even if it's as small as just a cake & ice cream for that month's birthdays. Several large events annually.

The company is really growing. They provide in-house education & professional development, frequent "Lunch & Learn" sessions, and varying tuition reimbursement programs.

GAI is an employee-owned company, so after two years, you have the option of buy stock.

Cons

The IT department seems to be passed up for a lot of benefits. Of course it's an overhead department, but every other department (including executive and HR) have benefits on par with everyone else in their respective industries.

Namely, the pay was far subpar; there were limited technical training or professional development opportunities; and there was no career progression in place even though IT management requested it many times. Pay, training, and career progression were great for every other department - but IT seemed left behind.

Pay is the only reason I left the company.

Advice to Management

Take care of the all employees - including small departments and remote locations.

"You're just a number"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Garden City, PA

I worked at GAI Consultants full-time

Pros

When the office was in Garden City and Mr. Gigioia was at the helm, the Engineers were very good. The field experience was valuable.

Cons

The new CEO and his cohorts forced Tony out. They bought a huge new building in the Waterfront and coincidentally, our 401k's were now being managed by the same bank that gave them the loan for the new building (the new CEO just happened to be on the board of directors at that bank in Florida...another coincidence I guess). Our fund costs went up and the performance went down. The nepotism was almost laughable if it weren't so infuriating. Empty promises to the employees, managers joking with each other how horrible they can treat their underlings, the Managers' egos were through the roof. They are so much better and use every chance to show it.

Advice to Management

Everyone else is not as impressed with you nearly as much as you are impressed with yourselves. What a shame.

"I wish I had never accepted the position"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Canton, OH

I worked at GAI Consultants (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great, hard working people doing their best under less than ideal circumstances

Cons

Disconnected, unrealistic middle managers who are so focused on minutiae and protecting their "turf" that they lose sight of what work really matters. They think every office should be run like the office in Pittsburgh, which is totally unrealistic, especially for the satellite offices. The people who work hard are expected to just work harder and the people who do the bare minimum are allowed to skate. Blind obedience to middle management is mandatory. Laborious procedures that make even the smallest task a painful undertaking. No appreciation for the people in the field who are actually DOING the work.

Advice to Management

Stop tossing around buzzwords and giving lip service to the goals of the company and start appreciating your greatest asset, YOUR PEOPLE. Customer First is fine for marketing but retaining your good people needs to be a much higher priority. You've already lost too many and it doesn't seem like anyone has noticed.

"Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GAI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a number of outstanding dedicated employees.

Cons

Strategy seems to be under bid projects and make employees donate time to keep projects profitable. They take advantage of employees. Very poor Life - Work Balance.

Advice to Management

Strategically pursue work...don't chase every RFP that is issued without pre-positioning for that work.

8. "Senior Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GAI Consultants full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to work at

Cons

The company is getting to big

Advice to Management

getting too big

"You can do better."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morgantown, WV

I worked at GAI Consultants part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Payed well for Part time/intern. The people I worked with in office were amazing.

Cons

Initially when I interviewed with GAI they promised me certain perks, however when I went to use some of the perks they denied me and denied saying they had offered the benefits to me. When I showed them written proof that they had in fact offered me the benefits, Management/HR still turned around and said NO and also told me "They lie in interviews". I was one of three in my office that that happened to. I couldnt even make that up if I tried.
    Their benefits and compensation is very much sub-par compared to competitors.
    They make you go to meetings during your breaks and/or wont pay you to attend the mandatory meetings.

Advice to Management

Be accountable for your actions. Start caring. A good employee is a happy employee.

10. "anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at GAI Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional company with down to earth people and open-minded.

Cons

I can't think of any yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.