GAME Digital Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
GAME Digital CEO Martyn Gibbs
Martyn Gibbs

Pros
  • Great business with great people who want to do well (in 7 reviews)

• Game is a fast paced working environment with no two days being the same (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Desicions quickly get overridden by head office (in 11 reviews)

• There is no work life balance at all, staff are expected to be on-call 24/7 and can't even take any holidays (in 4 reviews)

1. "Game Group"

Former Employee - FT Tablet/Computing in Elyria, OH
    Former Employee - FT Tablet/Computing in Elyria, OH

I worked at GAME Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great company to work for

Cons

would be a new experience

Advice to Management

good job.

2. "Great job while you go to college"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Very relaxed, and friendly atmosphere. Lots of discounts on products.

Cons

Long hours, with few growth opportunities.

3. "It's alright"

Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at GAME Digital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love video games, you're better off working here. :) The money was decent and the employees are great to work with! Managers will differ from each store.

Cons

Customers and management aren't that good, but it's a living.

5. "not bad"

Pros

Was A great Place to work

Cons

Downsizing got alot of peoples jobs gone to many left without

Advice to Management

focus more on the customer and less on moving to phones and tablets

6. "Positive"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at GAME Digital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good management, hard working, reliable.

Cons

Bad customers, negative, low key

Advice to Management

Pay more

7. "Good for starting warehouse work"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I worked at GAME Digital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hours in summer, pay isn't too bad for the job required, very friendly staff in the warehouse, relaxed environment

Cons

Idea's aren't always listened too, creativity is limited by people higher up in the business

Advice to Management

Listen to staff more and be more flexible around ideas. Work with staff rather than telling them what to do, people will be more willing to aspire to more if not hindered

8. "Okay for Retail"

I worked at GAME Digital part-time

Pros

Good discount (if you enjoy video games), overtime pay for any overtime over contract hours, free merchandise when new games are released (mostly t shirts)

Cons

Usual retail things; very focused on working to targets, can be very stressful over Christmas period. We found that we were given too many hours over Black Friday when we didn't need them as much and were then rationing hours over Christmas.
    The only full time staff are the managers, even the Senior Sales staff members are on around 24 hours per week.

Advice to Management

More recognition needs to be given to staff who consistently hit or surpass target - there's no real incentive otherwise.

9. "Good insight into retail"

Former Employee - Seasonal Team Member in Bridgend, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Team Member in Bridgend, Wales (UK)

I worked at GAME Digital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Game Discounts,
    Free and discounted stuff from Sony/Microsoft
    Competitive Workplace

Cons

Occasional bad customers,
    Store Leaderboards don't take floor work into consideration,
    contract was ended early

Advice to Management

Ultimately it was a great time of working, with the one exception that my contract was ended a week early thanks to hours not being given, and i was only given a days notice of this.

10. "Great Job, fantastic staff but.."

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, Scotland (UK)

I worked at GAME Digital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are what make and breaks the job. If your into games or just have a general interest this job may be right up your alley, but be warned it's primarily about sales and targets

Cons

The salary is not great in the slightest, no commission, no overtime or any bonuses of any sort. Not to many cons

Advice to Management

My manager was amazing all the supervisors were so approachable, I really feel as though my experience was very high end. But, I have heard other stores don't have that same experience

11. "Far from fantastic, but has its good days."

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Boston, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Boston, England (UK)

I have been working at GAME Digital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount. By far, if you are into the business then this is definitely the best thing about the job. 20% off most items and 5% off consoles.

If you are working in a store with like-minded individuals then expect to have great chat. This can be said for many jobs but I have met someone who I'd consider one of my best friends in Game, which is of course a specialised retailer.

The sense of fulfillment when you make off with a great sale. In busier times, hitting a bunch of attach and cares makes you feel amazing and for me personally boosted my confidence tenfold. I feel that within Game I have gained a huge amount of people skills that will help me in my next venture.

Cons

Despite how I may have listed a lot in the pros section, for me the cons outweighs them way too much.

First let me start off with management. I had 2 managers to start, 1 was decent enough but came off as lazy by being consistently upstairs. The other however was a bully. And unfortunately I was one of his targets. Without getting too personal, I'll say he was pretty untouchable. I'd spoke to many other managers about my concerns and they just fed it straight back to him, despite knowing how he was. Point is, if you don't suck up to management or become a minion then don't expect to get anywhere fast.

It can get insanely boring. In times where there are no customers the job can be straight up painful. Its okay to face up and tidy when it's dead, but unfortunately this isn't something you can do all the time. The store I worked in was small also, so that didn't really help.

Game has lost touch. I remember it being about the games, but now it's unfortunately all about the attach and cares. I understand the need for it, but this isn't something that should be an issue. I mean, it's a shop about games and unfortunately over half of its staff (in my store) knew nothing about them. They merely sell things as if it were any supermarket. How can it be specialised if it's supposed experts have no clue? Training in the area should be something mandatory,

Advice to Management

Take note of your staffs concerns. If a manager is genuinely upsetting a colleague then don't leave it at that. Whether that person is part of a higher team or not it's shouldn't go ignored.

Get back in touch with your beginnings, understand that games are more than just a product. Hire staff only who genuinely care about the product, desperate or not, the long run will make it all worthwhile.