GAME Digital "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

GAME Digital Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Apr 29, 2019

3.2
GAME Digital CEO Martyn Gibbs
Martyn Gibbs
Pros
  • "Majority of the team are great people who love the brand(in 13 reviews)

• "Staff discount is good, and sometimes game developers will give you extra discount on launch days(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Head office make poor decisions regularly(in 26 reviews)

• "only find out your rota a week in advance(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "I am "Ironman" and the Real Regional Manager for Game Digital in London"

Current Employee - Regional Manager London and M1 in London, England

I have been working at GAME Digital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Been working for Game for over 18 years and thought I would let everyone know why it is such a great company to work for after seeing another post the claims to be in my role. So here goes, on top of the great product that we get to sell and immerse ourselves, working at Game, the greatest reason why i have been an employee at Game is the constant challenge and development the business provides. I have had the... privilege to develop and train many managers in my career at game and many individuals have gone on to other roles in other businesses but down to the opportunities they had at game. The development i have received over the past 18 years has been considerable starting off as a deputy manager to now a credible and successful regional manager. I have seen lots of change over the past 18 years and like all businesses that adapted to the changing technology Game has really helped me come through these changes for a positive result. Lastly i want to raise the topic of TIME, it is a company that embraces all employees to be aware of there work life balance, i have been through some tough times personally and at every point the business was considerate and supportive along the way. This is always sticks with me that a business is like this and i have seen this with other individuals that i have worked alongside and where i have had to support an individual also. Overall a great place to work, with great people, product and an exciting future for our business as we venture into e-sports, new technology and future challenges that await.

Cons

There is little to no cons I can think off working for Game. Is retail and challenging. There is change happening in many businesses. It is has always been a challenging business to work for, but in the sense it creates challenge for us to solve and move forward. Successful individuals that can plan, that are organised, have great direction, understanding of the task ahead and are good at managing change do well,... but i can see the managers that don't have these qualities getting frustrated and looking at others not themselves to why they have failed.

Advice to Management

So finally to the management keep looking after the people in everything you do. Have a clear plan for the future that involves the business thriving and customers fueled up for all there gaming needs.

GAME Digital2019-04-29
  2. "Going round in circles"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basingstoke, England

I have been working at GAME Digital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Majority of the team are great people who love the brand. They are beginning to come round to a new way of thinking when it comes to the team training. Social events can be great fun.

Cons

The business has filled important roles with people who have worked their way up from stores and have very little understanding of what they're actually doing. There can be a very territorial attitude and people don't always rely on the skill and talents of others, believing they can achieve everything themselves. Salary is poor for a business of this size. Constant redundancies mean that the smaller teams are... working twice as hard.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who have experience in their field. Don't build teams around those with lack of knowledge and put them in positions to challenge those who have worked hard to perfect their field.

GAME Digital2019-02-26
  3. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Birmingham, England

I worked at GAME Digital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun environment with great people to work with, Peek gets busy but if your in the right team its a lot of fun with giveaways

Cons

Harder to move up within the company as it becomes more focused on biggest one off stores than many small community stores. Also seems that higher management is based on friendship levels more than sales and management skill

Advice to Management

Look after the ones that improve your sales and work hard for you, not the ones who you get on got to the pub with

GAME Digital2018-10-03
  4. "Great business"

I worked at GAME Digital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Exciting industry, great people, very innovative and fast moving.

Cons

Can be emotionally lead

GAME Digital2018-01-31
  5. "Great fun"

Former Contractor - Sales Advisor in Dartford, England

I worked at GAME Digital for more than a year

Pros

Great people, decent discount and quick hours.

Cons

Very tedious and boring in the morning.

Advice to Management

N/A

GAME Digital2017-11-12
  6. "Decent"

I have been working at GAME Digital full-time

Pros

-Great people -Great discount for staff

Cons

-Terrible pay -Hard to work for a company people love to hate

Advice to Management

None

GAME Digital2017-07-18
  7. "Horrific"

Former Employee - Seasonal Temp

I worked at GAME Digital part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some staff are great people. You can wear trainers. About it.

Cons

You are a number and a profit margin. If you're on a close you're doing an extra hour of work for 0 pay regardless of what time you actually finish. Absolutely no consideration that you have a life outside.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings. Reward them when they excel. Give them a break once every, oh i dont know, year?

GAME Digital2016-12-23
  8. "A love/hate affair"

Store Manager in Basingstoke, England

I have been working at GAME Digital

Pros

Some great people across all levels of the business A good strategy CEO

Cons

Mistakes by store teams costing the business hundreds of pounds is dealt with disproportionately compared to mistakes from the office, resulting in losing thousands. Questionable Business decisions that contradict HR's view on how to treat staff.

Advice to Management

Incentive store teams to stick around. Reward & Recognition does not happen enough

GAME Digital2016-11-06
  9. "Sales Assistant"

I worked at GAME Digital part-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Great environment if you are into games. Discount was good as well. Enjoyable for part time work

Cons

Management could be better. Not much incentive to sell as no commission. More experienced temporary staff would be an improvement around xmas period.

GAME Digital2016-04-17
  10. "Great People, Great Business, Great Fun"

Field Manager

I have been working at GAME Digital

Pros

A relax environment were you can work autonomously to deliver results with the support and guidance when needed from great people at all levels of the business. The opportunity to push yourself outside of your comfort zone to achieve and develop both professionally and personally

Cons

Very busy at Xmas period work life balance can be difficult at this time.

Advice to Management

If your passionate, committed and want to succeeded then Game will give back in return what you put in. A forever changing environment means you can never get bored.

GAME Digital2015-07-27