GATX Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
GATX Chairman, President, and CEO Brian A. Kenney
Brian A. Kenney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Look the other way if you want to succeed; otherwise, get out."

I worked at GATX full-time

Pros

Coworkers, there are some genuine people throughout the org. Benefits are competitive.

Cons

Sr Management. Employee engagement survey is a waste of time.

Advice to Management

There are three things happening here. One - Sr Management is an entire generation re-living the mad men days. Getting promoted only because its the good ol' boys club and, "I got your back if you got mine" mentality while the other gender gets the work done with no recognition. Second - Its a popularity contest. Overlook the pretentious behavior, just grin and giggle, then make all the mistakes imaginable and never get fired. In the mean time, everyone else has to do extra work in order to get anything done, AND done right. And third, internal promotion nightmare just to meet quota. Pushing out the 30-40+ tenured employees, not enforcing any planning on how to retain the knowledge those employees held and replacing with the younger generation, who get promoted too soon and quickly float to the bottom with bad decisions. Unfortunate for them, they just lack the management skills to support their team members. Future doesn't look bright! "A bad manager can take a good staff and destroy it, causing the best employees to flee and the remaining to lose all motivation."

"A job not a career"

I worked at GATX full-time

Pros

Good work life balance. Opportunities to occasionally work remotely. Competetive health benefits.

Cons

No opportunity for growth. Have to be "liked" to get ahead, male centric culture. Vacation time is not competetive. Inconsistent treatment of employees. Some make chronic mistakes and are rewarded and some make one mistake and are gone.

Advice to Management

Take a look outside of GATX at other companies and try to learn from them to improve culture, morale, and equal treatment of employees. Provide opportunities and rewards equally regardless of gender and/or personality and looks.

"Losing good employees"

Pros

Benefits are the best thing

Cons

Micromanaged and unlowal to dedicated employees

"Foreman"

Pros

Benefits are good and you get a good amount of vacation to start with. You also get a yearly bonus as well.

Cons

Company is in constant change and doesn't pay well for what they expect of you.

5. "Hearne "HR""

Current Employee - Welder in Hearne, TX
    Current Employee - Welder in Hearne, TX

I have been working at GATX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and okay benefits and good employees on "off-shift" only in each department. Pretty laid back working style. Work, follow rules and job for life

Cons

We used to have an HR manager that truly cared about us. He was different than any other HR manager we have ever had. I know a lot of us who talk about him all the time and wish he was here. He would go see employees in the hospital if they were personally injured to see if they needed anything. He built an volunteer committee that got employees involved in giving back to the community. He would do what's right and stood up for people when needed. He would butt heads with Production Manager/Plant Manager because he was not a part of the good old boy club. Once I was told he went and bought an employee who was out on leave groceries and took them to his home...I was told he knew this employee did not even care for him but always took care of people who needed it. One time about 2 years ago I text him after midnight with a problem and he immediately responded. He was amazing and now that he's not here this place sucks! I was also told that he would tell new hires "thank you" for all that they do because all their hard work pays his salary and that's why he took care of employees. We have a union here which I belong to but they are worthless and people would just go to him for help. I asked him why he left and he did not want to discuss, but teared up cause it was hard for him to leave he said...I asked why he said because of all his team members....so many of us miss him cause now have nobody and we can't say anything due to sr employee retaliation. Stuff he did for all of us was just amazing and dang it I wish he come back...rumor was his boss asked him to do something unethical and he rather leave then do what's wrong.

Advice to Management

Go get our old HR manager back - he took care of all of us, this is who we need back.

6. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at GATX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

okay benifits and nothing much

Cons

not sure of other divisions, but dont join IT if you have other opportunities even for less pay. They are very fast in firing and not good environment to movein. all old timers. so dont waste your time. no career oppertunities here either

"GATX is a real "old school" company. Not a good company if you're looking for upward mobility."

Pros

Internal online training opportunities are available, but only if the manager approves it. If you're in the right "clique" you will definitely succeed.

Cons

If you're in the "clique" you get the right projects, support, mentorship and exposure to help you succeed. Only those in the "clique" get promoted and believe me those are the same names that you see all the time. Others have been in the same position forever. If you're looking for diversity in management positions, forget about it!

From my experience, they offer online training, but only allow you to train for things in your area, and only with management approval. If you want to self-train for another department your manager knows and won't approve it because it doesn't apply to your current job. With this being said, you will never acquire skills to move on or be promoted.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees even if it means the non-verbal communication. Offer more opportunities for the "regular" people. Give them the opportunity to learn about what other departments actually do. Let them train online, on their own time, for positions outside of their own area.

"HR"

Pros

Good work life balance and benefits

Cons

Poor leadership in HR department. Sr mgmt is incompetent and rewarded for that behavior. Negative culture

Advice to Management

Change the HR leadership

"Manager"

I worked at GATX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Company had good benefits, and has bonus annually. They have been managing the business great for many years.

Cons

They have continue to change there operations management to improve the business so if you like continuous improvement this maybe the place for you. They are not the company they once where, no carrying for your employees any more. They are losing there customer service value. The cost of there overhead is going up more then what they are producing.

Advice to Management

You always charged a premium for you railcar leases based on the service you provided. I think once your service is no longer there so will the 99% utilization will no longer be there in the future.

"Chicago"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at GATX (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work hours, great location, no micro managing

Cons

People who've worked for the company for years are passed by on new job opportunities which are given to new employees, There is no room for advancement unless you know someone.

Advice to Management

Stop overlooking those employees who have been loyal, dedicated and been with the company long term and give them opportunity to advance in the company.