GATX Reviews | Glassdoor

Brian A. Kenney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GATX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great culture, benefits, big on volunteering/giving back to the community, good work life balance

Cons

Unfortunately there's no free lunch

2. "Great"

Current Employee - Railcar Mechanic in Colton, CA
    Current Employee - Railcar Mechanic in Colton, CA

I have been working at GATX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company pays well, offer 401k and Pension. United Steel Workers Union. Full Medical benefits.

Cons

I havent started yet but this job is my dream job and once i start i will not be easily rattled.

"Field services"

Pros

Good benefits. Good people to work with for the most part. Very safety orenitated seem genuinely concerned that no employees are injured at work.

Cons

Always looking for employees mistakes. The sole purpose of the managers visit is to search for mistakes made by the employees. There is no positive reinforcement. Makes it difficult to enjoy going to work. They use check lists to try and make sure foreman and workers are doing there jobs. You are always watching your back wondering what you will be written up for next.
    Wages are nowhere near where they need to be for what they expect. High turnover of employees.

Advice to Management

Quit micro managing allow your employees to do their jobs. Increase wages

4. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at GATX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

okay benifits and nothing much

Cons

not sure of other divisions, but dont join IT if you have other opportunities even for less pay. They are very fast in firing and not good environment to movein. all old timers. so dont waste your time. no career oppertunities here either

5. "welder"

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Plantersville, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Plantersville, TX

I have been working at GATX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No weekend work or after regular hours

Cons

there is no overtime at all

Advice to Management

Train Foreman and manager better

6. "Fleet Manager"

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at GATX full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Professional, allows for suggestions in any area of the business, Continuous Improvement,
    yearly reviews, also yearly bonus's based on company's earnings for the year as well as your personal yearly review. Great Railcar division!! More but can't list all

Cons

poor communications from HQ- Chicago office to other offices...ie: SF, HOU...
    Didn't include employees from the other offices on special projects, although the employee's in SF wanted to be badly.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GATX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had a highly positive experience working at GATX. Company recognizes and rewards high performers and offers great work/life balance. Employees have many opportunities to give back to the community through Make-a-Wish, Big Shoulders and other volunteer opportunities.

Cons

Similar to any other business, GATX faces down cycles. Though we are in one now, GATX has a strategic approach to managing through it.

"Chicago"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at GATX (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work hours, great location, no micro managing

Cons

People who've worked for the company for years are passed by on new job opportunities which are given to new employees, There is no room for advancement unless you know someone.

Advice to Management

Stop overlooking those employees who have been loyal, dedicated and been with the company long term and give them opportunity to advance in the company.

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GATX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture
    Good benefits
    Good hours
    Ethical manner

Cons

Micromanaging
    CEO not a great leader.

Advice to Management

Focus on building more of a team spirit.
    Mention some of the positives, not just the negatives

10. "Hearne "HR""

Current Employee - Welder in Hearne, TX
    Current Employee - Welder in Hearne, TX

I have been working at GATX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and okay benefits and good employees on "off-shift" only in each department. Pretty laid back working style. Work, follow rules and job for life

Cons

We used to have an HR manager that truly cared about us. He was different than any other HR manager we have ever had. I know a lot of us who talk about him all the time and wish he was here. He would go see employees in the hospital if they were personally injured to see if they needed anything. He built an volunteer committee that got employees involved in giving back to the community. He would do what's right and stood up for people when needed. He would butt heads with Production Manager/Plant Manager because he was not a part of the good old boy club. Once I was told he went and bought an employee who was out on leave groceries and took them to his home...I was told he knew this employee did not even care for him but always took care of people who needed it. One time about 2 years ago I text him after midnight with a problem and he immediately responded. He was amazing and now that he's not here this place sucks! I was also told that he would tell new hires "thank you" for all that they do because all their hard work pays his salary and that's why he took care of employees. We have a union here which I belong to but they are worthless and people would just go to him for help. I asked him why he left and he did not want to discuss, but teared up cause it was hard for him to leave he said...I asked why he said because of all his team members....so many of us miss him cause now have nobody and we can't say anything due to sr employee retaliation. Stuff he did for all of us was just amazing and dang it I wish he come back...rumor was his boss asked him to do something unethical and he rather leave then do what's wrong.

Advice to Management

Go get our old HR manager back - he took care of all of us, this is who we need back.