GBH CPAs Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 1, 2017

4.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Enjoying my time at GBH!"

Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at GBH CPAs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work with professional co-workers! Great work/life balance. The partners are cognizant of our personal needs and accommodate us when possible.

Cons

Paying the tolls on the Beltway!

Advice to Management

Keep the continuing education coming!

"Former employee"

I worked at GBH CPAs full-time

Pros

I really enjoyed working for GBH for the several years I was there. The executive management of the firm are really good problem solvers and leaders. The overtime was not unreasonable. The firm puts a lot of effort into making the firm a good place to work for employees. There are considerable opportunities for employees to grow professionally at GBH.

Cons

I had a positive experience working for GBH - I didn't have any cons worth noting.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the firm.

"Good"

Pros

It was an ok place nothing special Idk if I'd work there again. Other than that it's a cool place to work

Cons

not many cons about this company. Not sure if anything is going to prove but It's definitely a start.

Advice to Management

N/a N/A N/A

"Tax Senior"

Current Employee - Tax Senior
    Current Employee - Tax Senior

Pros

The firm is not professional & incompetent. Managers and shareholders treat their staff very poorly. One junior auditor was sick and went home early and was told by management that he ruined hi chances to be promoted.

Cons

The tax department is run by an incompetent family who does not care about quality work. If you are not a relative their is no way you will promoted. Tax dept is worse than H&R block.

Advice to Management

Pay you tax people more money. Tax managers earn the same pay as audit seniors. Fire tax shareholder and her incompetent family. Treat your employees like people.

5. "Audit Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at GBH CPAs as an intern

Pros

Friendly work environment, Helpful management, seniors and managers. They let us take responsibilities and gave us opportunity to work in real life big projects.

Cons

Due to the type of business, sometimes the interns have to wait for the clients to send documents and information to work on.

"Great experience as a Tax intern in GBH!"

Current Intern - Tax Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Tax Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at GBH CPAs as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment.
    The firm provides good opportunity for interns to learn and gain experience.
    Top management care about their employee.
    Flexible working schedule.

Cons

The firm may need more space when it is growing. The cubicles are small.

Advice to Management

As a tax intern focusing on individual tax return, I got a lot of experience. But I hope I could also have the opportunity to do the business tax projects.

7. "A Great Place to Grow"

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Houston, TX

I worked at GBH CPAs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started as an audit staff at GBH CPAs in the early years of the firm. Right from the start, this firm established a culture of commitment to teaching and enhancing employee growth through mentorship. The managers and partners I worked with all took a vested interest in my career growth and invested valuable time in expanding my career skill set through training, one-on-one teaching, and encouraging business networking. As a woman in a historically male dominated field, I was initially concerned about the opportunities available to me as I advanced in my experience at the firm. After being promoted to senior and assigned to manage increasingly challenging jobs, it was clear that the sky is the limit at this firm if you are willing to commit the time and effort required to succeed in the public accounting world. Although I eventually chose to leave the firm to pursue a different career path, I consider my time at GBH CPAs as the foundation of all of my subsequent business success. Throughout my career, the professional connections I made while working at GBH have proven to be incredibly valuable resources. I believe their recent merger and continued growth make this firm an excellent choice for anyone looking for an equally challenging and rewarding work environment.

Cons

There are hard deadlines that must be met, and it will require long hours at times. This is not isolated to this firm, but just the nature of a career in public accounting. In my experience, the long term benefits reaped from making this commitment far outweigh the intermittent time demands.

"Great opportunity to gain quality experience in a growing regional firm"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at GBH CPAs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked at GBH in the initial years, I have watched the firm grow from a handful of experienced professionals to a contender as one of the best regional audit and tax firms serving both public and private markets.

In 2007, the firm managed to grow and prosper in spite of the 2008 economic downturn. This was in part due to the leadership of the firm and the focus on audit efficiency, quality, training and client service. The leadership all had Big 6 experience and they took the time to build a firm that would last. In conjunction with my peers, we developed training and processes to allow the firm to bring in new staff and build the confidence in them to be successful as CPAs. There were certainly some rough days in the beginning, but as I have learned throughout my career, that can always be expected when you are trying to build something great. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. For some, they enjoy the challenge as they know it comes with higher reward and gratification. For others, they prefer that nothing change and are content with status quo. Neither is right or wrong and each is a matter of choice. I have been in both positions throughout my career and can attest to the fact that the only constant is change.

Having lived through multiple mergers and acquisitions, I can also attest to the fact that nothing works out exactly a expected and that it takes the right outlook to come out on top. Things also seem to take twice as long as planned, but as long as you understand and believe in the vision, eventually you will come out the other end successful. I lived through the initial vision of GBH CPAs and was rewarded for it in both experience and success. I suspect the current merger will have it's growing pains and not all the pieces will fit together initially. In watching now from the outside, I do believe in their current vision of offering both audit and tax. The synergies of their merger with manifest themselves eventually given it only happened earlier this year. It took us three years to meet some our initial goals and be able to look back with a sense of achievement.

For those with patience who want a rare opportunity to grow a firm and put their own mark on it, this is a great place to work and be part of a growing firm. Whether it be through organic growth or mergers of complimentary services, the firm offers an environment to learn more than just tax and audit. It offers an environment to gain critical thinking skills with exposure to a variety of real world business, audit, accounting and tax issues.

Cons

As I tell all those looking to go the CPA route, the initial years are a commitment. GBH CPAs is not unlike any other quality CPA firm. There will be busy times when sacrifices have to be made, which is a personal choice. Those who sacrifice are generally rewarded whether it be immediately or later on in their careers. The first few years in any CPA firm are the formative years and with the right attitude, you will survive. I would not recommend working at GBH CPAs if you are not willing to accept the challenge of change and adapt. Becoming a CPA is also a personal commitment, which is why not everyone is able to achieve this milestone in their career.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to employees as you grow and communicate your vision regularly and concisely.

"GBH has a lot of work to do."

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Houston, TX

I worked at GBH CPAs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GBH is a rapidly growing business. They went through a merger with Prather Kalman in January 2014 and doubled in size. Medical/dental benefits are great.

Cons

The company needs more employees for the amount of work they have. To be candid, the work/life balance doesn't exist. This firm has a "Big-4" mentality, since the partners all come from Big-4 backgrounds. Face time is very important here.

Advice to Management

Work/life balance needs to be improved.