GBMC HealthCare RN Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 11, 2019

Found 12 reviews

3.7
John B. Chessare
  1. "A Community Hospital of Comradery"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Baltimore, MD

I worked at GBMC HealthCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

What makes GBMC so great is that it is one of the few remaining not-for- profit community hospitals that exist within modern society that genuinely evokes a sense of compassion and comradery amongst it's staff; and the community. Being that it is not your large scale industrial big name hospital, GBMC is the kind of place where you slowly develop those special and close personal relationships with everyone from the cafeteria...

Cons

This is not exactly the ideal hospital to work at if you are looking for experience in more action packed high acuity areas such as shock trauma or advanced cardio-invasive intervention as this hospitals acuity level does not accommodate those cases at this time. The hospital is also not as technologically advanced as others in the surrounding metro area.

Advice to Management

Send out courtesy reminders for those who may need renewal of certifications or licenses before expiring.

GBMC HealthCare2017-06-22

June 23, 2017GBMC Relationship Manager

Thank you for your review and great feedback, I will pass it along to our HR specialists.

2. "Interview"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at GBMC HealthCare

Pros

Patient population , staff support services and technology

Cons

Location and using beltway is a nightmare

GBMC HealthCare2019-07-11
  3. "💰"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at GBMC HealthCare full-time

Pros

Modern hospital with updated resources

Cons

No support from management .

GBMC HealthCare2019-05-11

May 21, 2019GBMC Relationship Manager

We are surprised by your post and we would like to learn more about your experience at GBMC. Please feel free to reach out to our Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer, Anna-Maria Palmer, at 443-849-2033. We want to ensure you have an enjoyable employment experience.

4. "Community based"

Former Employee - RN-II in Baltimore, MD

I worked at GBMC HealthCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Longevity of the older staff that has worked there. Patients are from the community. Patient appreciative of their care.

Cons

Low hourly pay. No lunch breaks. No teamwork.

Advice to Management

Trust in your staff

GBMC HealthCare2019-04-01

April 8, 2019GBMC Relationship Manager

At GBMC, we pride ourself on our culture and compassionate care. Our workforce longevity speaks to this. Please feel free to reach out to Anna-Maria Palmer, Chief Human Resources Officer so she can better understand your comments. Anna-Maria can be reached at apalmer@gbmc.org

"An ok place to work"

Former Employee - RN

I worked at GBMC HealthCare full-time

Pros

Great benefits package, free parking, some great coworkers

Cons

Unfair policies, lower than expected raises, dealing with other departments within the facility can be difficult, not many opportunities for advancement (unless your friends with certain people). I worked here 12 years and never thought the staff turnover rate would be as high as it is now. Don't get me started on lean daily management (it's pointless).

Advice to Management

Long time employees will continue to leave if policies and procedures continue to change almost everyday.

GBMC HealthCare2017-04-13

April 21, 2017GBMC Relationship Manager

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I’m happy to see that you like our benefits package and that you have had positive working relationships with your colleagues. I appreciate your input re: our policies If you would like to talk more at length about these concerns please ...

6. "Registered Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at GBMC HealthCare

Pros

Good benefits and hours but that is it

Cons

Poor management. What would you do if it was your daughter is the motto but this does not apply to the staff. I had a hostile work environment with a manager. She was nasty and rude. I actually had to file a grievance with HR. She was unstable.

Advice to Management

Learn to trust your staff for the professionals they are and stop treating them as disposable commodities. This is especially true of seasoned senior nurses. I realize you can hire new grads for less but then spend thousands training them just so they move on due to poor treatment by management

GBMC HealthCare2017-04-16
  7. "Great staff and patients, Poor Management"

Current Employee - RN

I have been working at GBMC HealthCare

Pros

The majority of patients are polite and appreciative of the work you are doing. Many of the staff members have been employees of the hospital for 15+ years are knowledgeable and pleasant to work with.

Cons

Management is a revolving door. Communication between management and staff is poor, leading to frustrations among staff.

Advice to Management

Openly communicate upcoming changes prior to them taking effect; Be willing to work with staff members to accommodate scheduling conflicts-the more you are willing to help staff, the more willing they will be to help the unit when staffing is short. Policies/procedures need to be reviewed-some are outdated.

GBMC HealthCare2017-01-05

March 20, 2017Social Media Coordinator

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I’m happy to see that you enjoy the patients that you’re caring for and that you have positive working relationships with your colleagues. A knowledgeable workforce is one of the reasons why GBMC is such a well-respected hospital! I appreciate ...

"Be Careful!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at GBMC HealthCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Has a very good vision statement, the organization needs to take their vision and treat employees the same. Maybe they should change the vision statement from "Treat every patient as if they were a family member" to "Do unto others as you would like done to yourself"

Cons

Cannot speak up without retaliation! Leadership titles such as VP and others given to people who do not have a degree. What organization do you know that a Masters Degree is not required for a VP position, well go to GBMC and you may have a chance. But wait, it is not what you know it is who you know. Dictatorship, many silos, one person or department does not know what the other is doing. No advancement!!

Advice to Management

Break the triangle that came from New England. Instead of laying honest and good employees off, consolidate upper management. The organization is not that big. You want to stay independent downsize the C suite, i.e. Most small organizations don't have a VP of risk/legal and a VP of Quality and Patient Safety. One VP oversees risk/legal/quality/patient safety; then have directors for each entity. This would save $$$$$$$.

GBMC HealthCare2016-07-08
  9. "Good place to work despite poor management"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Joppa, MD

I worked at GBMC HealthCare for more than 8 years

Pros

supportive co-workers opportunities for advancement wonderful benefits

Cons

Patient-nurse ratio disorganized lack in leadership budget limited supplies to do your job

Advice to Management

Listen to the needs/concerns of your employees and really make an effort to find a solution to some of their needs.

GBMC HealthCare2015-11-19

"This used to be a great place to work"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Towson, MD

I have been working at GBMC HealthCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

No assigned uniforms......YET. My co workers are amazing and when you have to work under staffed that means a lot. Also the parking is free too employees however all employee parking areas are inconvenient and force some people to leave 15-20 minutes earlier just to clock in on time. But hey its free, I guess.

Cons

Management is horrible, there is a lot of favoritism. Pay is low in comparison to other hospitals. Employees aren't valued or even equal to other employees. Chain of command is pretty non existent. If you have a problem on your unit everything is at the "managers discretion" and if your manager is the problem there is pretty much nothing you can do but switch units. Even then it's up to your manager if you can go. Management...

Advice to Management

Clean house!!! Get more nurse managers that understand TEAMWORK and need less underlings (CUC's) to do their jobs!!

GBMC HealthCare2015-09-05