GC Services Reviews | Glassdoor

GC Services Reviews

Updated July 24, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay is good and incentives are as well, if you can connect with your debtors (in 10 reviews)

• Not as stressful as other call Center jobs, good environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, difficult to score bonus (in 32 reviews)

• Lots of negativity amongst supervisors and upper management that trickles down to the team Agent level (in 12 reviews)

1. "Unit Manager"

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at GC Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to gain experience as manager, good bonuses and contests.

Cons

low salary, long hours, odd schedule, bad insurance and not that many benefits, it is really difficult to address or terminate an employee because HR wont let you escalate the disciplinary actions as they should.

Advice to Management

invest more money and time in your managers, it feels that there is a disconnection between upper and lower management.

2. "Professional workplace but unprofessional employees..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, WV

I worked at GC Services full-time

Pros

Pay was good with incentives bonuses. Management were professional, quick to assist you with tough calls and questions were answered clearly.

Cons

Many of the other employees spent too much time trying to create workplace dramas and unnecessarily disturbing others during calls.

Advice to Management

Closer management of hourly employees!

3. "Bad experience"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Copperas Cove, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Copperas Cove, TX

I worked at GC Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the only good thing was the breaks.

Cons

low pay and petty rules.

4. "Honest Review"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Knoxville, TN

I worked at GC Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are several different jobs GC services does all revolving around debt collection, for this review the contract I was on was Dept of ED in Knoxville
    Hourly pay is livable
    Bonus are like a dollar on a fishing line they use them to keep you intrigued but your not going to see one (if you do they will find a BS reason to pull it I will explain futher in the cons)
    Some of the people at GC are great the only problem is they dont promote the good employees or even try to keep them. Its a shame they have really good people working there, but they "hire to fire".
    Not many positives, besides decent pay.
    Training dept is great thats about it.

Cons

Ok away we go...Bonus are used to trap you by thinking you'll make great money, problem is you'll never get one or when you do they will pull it for example...you need say 21 people to make a payment and also 6 resolutions (deaths, disability, incarcerations) now you dont get paid for the resolutions nor any additional bonus, when they heard people were helping each other out by assisting with the resolutions they started a witch hunt and took bonuses away from good people doing their job (wasn't me just saw the situation so I am in not way financially bias).
    They haven't had an account placement in months (November or first week of December). This means that we had been working the same accounts for this amount of time with the overall budget INCREASING. Keep in mind you don't hit budget you're fired. They know the dont have account coming in , they are trying to keep from having to pay out bonuses because of the recent lawsuits over unfair collection practices.
    You have good hard working people quitting daily because its simply to stressful because of how this place is ran THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR EMPLOYEES.
    Managers are all friends and are not managers at all they wont help you...with anything.
    The facility is a DUMP seriously you do not feel comfortable in the parking lot and everyone is sick all the time because of the mold in the carpet. Headsets are super dated, chairs are in pieces.
    They pitch this place as a job its just temp money until they fire your or you find a career. They change budget in the middle of the month, they wont transfer you to another dept no matter if you only have one absence, and do a great job. Its a joke the big OSU fan head man in his office comes out and flirts with certain employees thats the only time he does anything on the floor.
    Bad place to work

Advice to Management

When I started things seemed ok. I don't know whats happened, you promoted people who have no business being in the position they are in, you are not professional. I mean you charge money to wear jeans weekly that absurd. You all dug this whole and you can lie in it.

5. "Good temporary job but not a career move..."

I have been working at GC Services full-time

Pros

Great co-workers in my department

Cons

Low bonus structure in my dept & the quotas goes higher every month because we hit budget. No set structure. Once you get the health insurance, your health and welfare pay goes down, taking a big chunk out of your paycheck.

Advice to Management

Take care of the employees who work hard for you.

6. "customer Representative"

I worked at GC Services full-time

Pros

I like being in an office environment, working on the computers and learning to log accounts.

Cons

The time frame from logging on was ridicules, Did not have a lot of lea-ways

Advice to Management

Work me, let me show you what I can really do for your company.

7. "Don't work here"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at GC Services full-time

Pros

Decent pay, free products, decent lunch times.

Cons

The most unprofessional company that I have ever worked for. Would give you tons of information and expected yoj to know it, but never let you read it on the clock.

Advice to Management

Be more professional, and actually care about your employees.

8. "Not for everyone. Debt Collection."

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Huntington, WV

I have been working at GC Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is good and training is provided to get you up to snuff as a Manager. You can accrue paid time off.

Cons

Performance is based off collection activity. Chasing down debtors, calling people who don't want to speak with you. Your job is dependant on them answering the phone.

9. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

I worked at GC Services full-time

Pros

Plenty of available hours
    Pay is above minimum wage.

Cons

Overly strict attendance policy, I saw one employee get fired for clocking in at 8:01 instead of 8:00 the first month

No assigned seating on call floor leads to flu outbreaks, the attendance policy makes it even worse since you cant stay home when sick many go to work sick. It doesn't matter how much hand sanitizer they put out this needs to be addressed in a long term way.

Management expects work before everything including family. An employee asked for a day off because his son was in the hospital and the site manager gave a speech to the training class about their 'zero tolerance' for absences. The employee quit that day.

Advice to Management

HR and every manager spoke about making the call center less of a "revolving door" and cutting down employee turnover. Yet everything about the policies seems to encourage it. If GC really wants to cut their turnover rate they need to allow employees room for simple mistakes. Being fired for coming in one minute late is extreme and sounds like an exaggeration. That could have easily just been a write up or a warning and you'd have retained a potentially productive employee. They expect that almost half of each training class will be fired before training is finished. How is that acceptable or productive when you pay them for a month of training?

The flu outbreak problem can be easily controlled by allowing employees to miss days with a doctors note and assigning employees to a seat once they are on the call floor. When employees share headsets and are forced to come in to work sick viruses will undoubtedly spread.

If you address those two issues GC can offer a living wage to many people in a struggling economy. At the moment it offers what should be called a temporary job.

10. "decent place"

Former Employee - Account Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Account Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at GC Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

coworkers were nice and recognition was attempted

Cons

unrealistic expectations with poor training and development

Advice to Management

train better