GCE Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
GCE President Ray Muslimani
Ray Muslimani

Pros
  • Very dynamic and fast paced environment (in 7 reviews)

• Cutting Edge Technology, Purpose Driven Work, Great talent (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life Balance, Employees who could not handle the fast pace of work suffered (in 8 reviews)

1. "GCE review"

Former Employee - Senior Program Director in Montgomery Village, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Program Director in Montgomery Village, MD

I worked at GCE (More than a year)

Pros

Company envisioned cloud utilization well ahead of the marketplace

Cons

Company dissolved through bankruptcy filing

2. "Gone"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Herndon, VA

I worked at GCE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The younger work force was very friendly and cooperative. They helped each other out.

Cons

Everything else. All the Chiefs didn't know what they were doing. All the employees were overworked and couldn't take a day off. Lower level employees had no freedom to take action. Overall the place was just a big mess.

Advice to Management

Too late to give any advice since the company is bankrupt and sued for fraud.

3. "Gone"

Former Employee - NONE in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - NONE in Denver, CO

I worked at GCE (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hard working people and lot's of smart folks there. Very intelligent staff members and analysts. Good location and office building.

Cons

But bad management and very unorganized. Some there were way too overworked and got no weekends free. Had to spend the night there a few times and they had a cot set up to sleep.

Advice to Management

The management and the company has apparently closed due to some activity. So my advice to them would be to probably not do that.

5. "Interesting"

Current Employee - Financial Management Analyst in Reston, VA

Pros

There was a lot of food. There was alot of good people. There were alot of oppurtunities to move around. There was a video game room.

Cons

The company went out of business. The upper management conducted illegal activities and were removed. The CEO Sold the company.

Advice to Management

Good Bye

6. "Beware. Run."

Current Employee - Financial Management Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at GCE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice people and that's about it.

Cons

Everything, from unethical senior management and practices to bad products. Lawsuits will hit GCE soon- keep an eye on the news. GSA and DOL investigations. College graduates, do your research before joining. Its a plague.

Advice to Management

Too late for any advice. Greed does more harm than good.

"Organized puppet show with CEO pulling all the strings"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at GCE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learn and get out; apparently everyone has to do everything so you get lot of exposure; many security loop holes

Cons

Very bad retention rate
    Fake promises to employees which are not kept
    No clear team structure and a very unclear growth path for employees at all levels including management
    Bad management practices
    Clear disregard to employee personal life; no definition of work/ life balance
    Company still operates like a startup even after 15 years of existence
    Terrible Human Resource management; HR does not stand with employees at any front; all words uttered by senior management are considered as golden and final;
    Very bad standing in Federal market; unsatisfied current and past federal customers including USCG, USSS

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO so that we can stop mis-management and unfair treatment that's been going on for over a decade

8. "Great place to learn with exciting perks"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at GCE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy my time at GCE. I have friends and because the company is technologically focused I feel like I am constantly learning and constantly improving. I like that this company really values workplace culture (with free sports tickets, toastmasters, free food, etc). I like that the objectives are clearly defined and that my work is pretty self-sufficient.

Cons

While I like the people at GCE, my teammate and my manager do frustrate me. There is a mentality that as long as the work gets done, that's all that matters but that work is often not split 50-50 between my teammate and I. Which goes along with my second primary con... not being paid fairly for the amount of work that I do.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to be firmer with employees who are not meeting expectations and to enforce the monthly one-on-one. I have been on this particular team for 3 months and have only met with my supervisor once.

9. "GCE allows you to contribute from DAY ONE- literally."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Reston, VA

I worked at GCE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upon graduation, I joined GCE. It was possibly the best decision that I made. At GCE you are able to learn all aspects of the business, interact with the client (depending on your team), and contribute in a meaningful manner. GCE will polish your skill-set by letting you get your hands dirty.

Yes, you will be held accountable for your mistakes, but that is the best way to professionally and personally grow. ACCOUNTABILITY is big.

Had it not been for personal reasons, I would never have left the company. It has great potential!

Cons

Demanding, dumb clients. As my boss told me in my first week: "You have to convince your customer". In doing so, you have to play dumb.

Advice to Management

Figure out why people leave GCE. Be more transparent.

"Worst company I ever could imagine working for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I worked at GCE full-time

Pros

Some of the executives do a really nice job convincing people the reviews they write on this site are real (hint: good reviews are fake, bad reviews real). The company had the audacity to ask its current employees to write good reviews

Cons

Biggest mistake I ever made in my career. The other bad reviews do a nice job explaining how incompetent the management is. There are some nice people who work there, but they are unfortunately handled by a complete bunch of idiots. Really make sure you have no other options before joining. This is not an ex employee rant, this is how many people current and former employees feel

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your friends, and hire some actual qualified people

"A word of caution to those who are about to join GCE!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at GCE full-time

Pros

1) Plenty of enthusiastic fresh faces all year round hoping to make a change (high employee turnover).
    2) Able to work with a lot of open source technologies.

Cons

1) High employee turnover. If you have a question to ask someone, do it as soon as the opportunity presents itself.
    2) Low salaries and benefits compared to similar companies in the area.
    3) Long work hours. It can definitely strain a relationship or any commitments outside of work. I definitely will not recommend this company to a friend.
    4) No real effort to retain employees as they are just bodies to replace in cubes.
    5) Putting in the extra work does not pay off. You might get lucky and be complimented in front of a senior manager, but nothing to show for it when you do your taxes next year.
    6) Lack of planning and a sense of direction for the company.
    7) Working on the customer site can be a very bad experience based on the promises made by GCE management. You are in the line of fire for something you are not even aware had been decided...which leads me to
    8) There are all these technologies in place for Management to communicate to everyone else on the payroll, but there's no real effort to utilize them. My impression was: Do your work and go home when we let you. If we need to call you late at night or on a weekend or a holiday, we will, and you should be available.

Advice to Management

You can market the company to be what you want everyone to believe it is. However, you cannot hide the facts once they see it for what it really is. They usually leave soon after and will resent you for your deceit. Cheap tactics like free game tickets will momentarily distract some people from thinking how hard the past few months/years have been on them, but it will wear off.