GCI Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 28, 2017

2.7
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fun, sociable employer but wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Wakefield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Wakefield, England (UK)

I worked at GCI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are happy to give people a chance to take work that pushes them beyond their comfort zone
    People are fun, sociable atmosphere

Cons

Very high staff turnover, not worked for a company where people leave so much
    Poor benefits, poor pensions and holiday
    Lack of respect for staff, disorganised

2. "Exciting place to work"

I worked at GCI full-time

Pros

Growing business
    Career progression
    Great Team environment

Cons

Benefits while good are not market leading

3. "Great place to work for entrepreneurs"

Former Employee - Manager in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
    Former Employee - Manager in Luxembourg (Luxembourg)

I worked at GCI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open to employee ideas, good salary and team

Cons

Decentralized teams and aging offices

4. "Terrible management, run whilst you can"

Former Employee - Second Line Engineer in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at GCI full-time

Pros

The work/life balance was okay.

Cons

The management were elusive and seemed more like an “elitist group” who were far too important for anybody.

Communication from the top down was absolutely dreadful. We were acquired by GCI and since that happened, we lost over 50% of staff either through redundancy or people leaving because of terrible conditions.

The salary is appalling. I asked for a pay rise after others left and taking on their roles, however this was not given and was only offered AFTER I handed in my notice. Baring in mind, I was extremely underpaid as is.

There were no career opportunities, I was stuck doing things I did not want to do, even though previous management had a set out progression path for myself, but they were made redundant and that went out of the window.

The atmosphere in the office is dreadful, it was almost depressing being in there. It wasn’t always like that though, it used to be great.

If you look around, you can see GCI are acquiring companies to boost their worth and cutting costs in every way possible in order to get ready for a big sale, google GCI KPMG sale.

A few times since GCI took over my expenses were not paid on time, these expenses could range upward of £800 at times. So it’s a lot of money when you have bills and a life to live.

Overall, every aspect of GCI was a con. There was no choice but to leave as soon as possible, they do not care about their staff and do not listen to your requests. You are a pawn in their game of chess.

Advice to Management

Care about your staff and communicate more. The way you manage the business is disgusting, I don’t know how people would dream of staying with you. I would advise everyone currently employed to look elsewhere for work.

5. "Only get one star because I can't give them less"

I worked at GCI full-time

Pros

The office is nice I guess ..

Cons

No real training or guidance. AM's expected to just get on with it and Managers would make you feel stupid for asking for advice.

Internal systems were an absolute nightmare! Crucial information was held on about 6 different systems with access to said systems restricted making it impossible to do the job.

Flagrant favouritism showed to certain AM's.

Advice to Management

Sort out your internal systems. It doesn't make sense to have about 6 different systems holding company account info.

Favouritism is not acceptable. It lowers motivation and is more obvious than you think.

6. "Poor communicators"

I worked at GCI full-time

Pros

Expertise, product offering, and financials are good

Cons

Their handling of acquisitions is poor. Communication is misleading and lots of the obvious things which would been to be in place/agreed when a new company has been acquired seem to be a complete after thought, which is unfair and disrespectful to employees who are facing possible redundancies

Advice to Management

Think about things from an employee point of view rather than just thinking about business objectives and profit!

7. "Engineer"

Pros

Good staff, locally based, fast sales growth

Cons

Growing fast, strange management structure

Advice to Management

look after your people