GDH Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
  • Great company who offers opportunities for growth and has a great culture (in 4 reviews)

• There are great people in the back office who provide excellent support (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There was no cons about GDH consulting (in 8 reviews)

• Contract employees are asked to cover some operating cost as GDH pretends that the contract employee has a "FULL TIME" work location (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at GDH Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Excellent benefits (student loan reimbursement/health care/gym-reimbursement/$25/month credit for 5ks, etc./decent PTO)
    -Company culture is very family-oriented and supportive
    -Training is organized and structured as opposed to being thrown to the wolves
    -Management is very supportive in helping us succeed

Cons

None that I can think of the moment. It's sales, so compensation is based off how successful you choose to be.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Terrible communication between Corporate and Field offices."

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter

I worked at GDH Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are very few reasons.

Cons

The miscommunication between Corporate Management and Management in the Field offices is terrible. There is a specific person in Executive Management that uses bullying tactics and is a complete hot-head. I truly believe he is the reason GDH has had such a high attrition rate over the past year or so.

Advice to Management

Management needs to communicate better with the top Recruiting/Sales people in their Field offices and follow up on their promises of growth/career development. When an individual makes it to your President's Club five years in a row you should probably follow up on your promises... As a top producer I was kicked to the curb and given the reason that it was because I did not hit my monthly numbers/metrics. Within a few weeks of being let go these metrics were removed from the company's monthly requirements...Hmmm...

The Sales people were consistently bringing in unqualified job orders that would never close. As a Senior Recruiter I would spin my wheels every single week working on unqualified job orders because of the skewed information the Management in my Field Office was relaying to Corporate Execs. The Manager in my office was protecting the main Sales person because they were friends prior to joining GDH Consulting, he would convey to Corporate that all of the job orders his Sales guy (friend) was bringing in were qualified. This crippled our office, I was never given an opportunity to voice or to explain where things went wrong. I was led into failure by incompetent management and lack of company communication, when I tried to voice my opinion I was shot down as a "complainer". A big part of this was because of the overly-aggressive Director they put in place over most of their Field offices; the same person who promised me career advancement and then went back on his word. You don't do this to someone who has consistently performed in the top 10% of your sales producers for five plus years! My opinion or insight was not valued whatsoever!

I WOULD FOCUS MORE ON TREATING YOUR TOP PRODUCERS BETTER and asking for their input more often. The first several years at this organization were great, but man have things changed for the worse.

"Great entry level job"

Former Employee - Analyst in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Montgomery, AL

I worked at GDH Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyday tasks are simple and straight forward. Management is nice and co workers were fun to work with.

Cons

Really need to improve the insurance plan

"Deeply troubling..."

Former Employee - IT Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at GDH Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good commission structure, nice reward trip if you can meet numbers, will take a chance on no or in-experienced recruiters and account managers (see cons though)

Cons

I enjoyed a fairly lucrative career at GDH but within the last year I had to make the decision to leave. To echo a previous reviewer, GDH has made a cultural shift to hire limited or no experience staffing "professionals". While this is commendable, it makes for a difficult working environment for those of us experienced and overall has had an impact on what WAS tremendous growth. While upper management might tout top 10% of all staffing companies, the naked truth is that they have stalled. It has been a goal of GDH since 2014 to crack the 100M mark, but has not been attained and actually, last year (2016) revenue fell. One reason for this is the shift to cost savings from hiring those with limited or no experience but a significant blame has to be laid at senior leadership. Though numbering over 200 employees leadership at the top cannot delegate and runs certain facets of the company with a micromanaging and dogmatic style. While this might be of benefit, in practive the leadership is highly erratic. Business strategies, goals, metrics, and company culture changes regularly leading everyone scrambling to re-align. Some things are rather transparent as GDH states. Other things extremely opaque. Until recently GDH has been able to brush these things over. But it is having an effect and GDH has burned some senior level bridges both with internal employees and outside professional relationships.

Advice to Management

Re-assert higher level production talent. Respect current talent. Hire strong leadership and delegate. Be more transparent in business decision/stragies vs just "the numbers".

"sinking ship"

I worked at GDH Consulting full-time

Pros

They hire almost exclusively at entry level now, so if you're struggling to find a job or have burned a lot of bridges in the staffing industry, then they'll definitely give someone a chance with no experience, degree, or anything at all. There's also zero opportunity to move up, which is a con, but if you are interviewing for a management position with no experience, then it's a pro.

Cons

It's very concerning when a company of this size can't grow anymore and begins to shrink. If the multi-billion dollar companies can find ways to increase year over year, then a smaller company like GDH should be able to, but this is not the case. For some reason they think that turning the company into a sweat shop and pushing out anyone with experience is going to fix that, but it's having the opposite effect. If you're reading this and you're entry level, it's a paycheck and you can probably fly under the radar if you're quiet and passive, but if you actually want to work in staffing, go to a larger company that has a training program, values, and a clear mission.

Advice to Management

I always thought the most incompetent people were promoted and the management hires were horrible, so I can't imagine any advice here would be understood. I wish I could share how unprofessional some of the managers are.

GDH Consulting Response

Jan 9, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. GDH appreciates all feedback whether positive or negative as we are always looking to improve. GDH is committed to providing a comfortable ... More

"Senior Recruiter"

I have been working at GDH Consulting full-time

Pros

In my 20 years of recruiting, GDH Consulting is hands down the best company in which I've worked. The main reasons are: 1. leadership that truly cares about the individuals who work inside the company (internal staff) and outside the company (consultants representing GDH to our customers). 2. Minimal politics and 3. a focus on direct and open communication, mutual accountability, and everyone's opinions are valued. 4. Very competitive commission plan.

Cons

There are some growing pains associated with a company this size - the typical stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing that comes close to outweighing the positive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and continue to find ways to show you care about the individuals associated with the organization, internal and external alike.

"Great Place"

Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at GDH Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place for individuals who wanted to get started in recruiting. I made some really great, long term friends. The environment is relaxed as it can get stressful when push time.

Cons

Most of my cons have to do with the work itself and not having as many positions as I was hoping for in order to make good commission. Also, a very strict 8:00 start time which I find to be a little ridiculous as most candidates or hiring managers that you speak with aren't until later in the day. I feel this should be a little more flexible so you aren't getting in trouble if you don't get there right before 8:00.

"Good Company, Could Be Better"

I worked at GDH Consulting full-time

Pros

Very fun and a work hard, play hard environment. Very friendly and a sense of a family type of staff. Ability to work from home. Trips awarded for meeting goals. Able to make a lot of money, if you are willing to work for it. Good benefits.

Cons

Lack of communication between corporate office and branch offices. The company only truly cares about their producers and almost completely disregards their support staff and back office employees. If you are not producing, you might as well not exist. No room for upward advancement if you are part of the back office or support staff unless you want to become a producer of some sort. Open Door policy is not very open, they will make you believe that your ideas and opinion is heard and important but their actions prove that is not true. Management has recently changed a lot and probably not for the better, they are more worried about looking good than making sure the correct decisions are being made.

Advice to Management

Communication, communication, communication! Remember and know how much the back office and support staff do to help in the day to day operations of the company. If you are not going to give options for back office and support staff to advance, then give them some sort of benefit for doing their job well, even a thank you can go a long way. Honor and mean it when you say you have an open door policy.

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at GDH Consulting (More than a year)

Pros

Great potential to make a lot of money if you actually try. Uncapped commission and endless job recs to work.

Cons

Job Security is not always promised.

"telecommunication tech / installer"

Former Employee - Telecommunication Tech/Installer in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Telecommunication Tech/Installer in Bronx, NY

I worked at GDH Consulting full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

company is on the ball with up to date work assignments, very helpful to tech on field, supplies all material needed to get job done if you don't have they will get it to you no excuses

Cons

corporate needs to reach out to former employees to see reason for separation sometimes it is a problem that there personnel in office is unable to deal with and some one from corporate can step in and relieve the problem and both company and worker can continue on to form a great relationship, but i still say it is a great company to work for besides the small issue that could have been easily resolved

Advice to Management

if you have a person who loves working with you company, and is a hard worker and you see a separation starting...step in an inquire as to why, you will be surprised on how easily it could have been resolved, regardless i very much enjoyed working with your company for the time i was there and would recommend any tech to give your company a call, thank you for the work