GDS Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Spencer Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, great people, strong leadership (in 14 reviews)

• Ping pong tables, 2 weeks paid off for Christmas (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Think of the movie "Boiler Room" with poor management, drugs, micromanagement and an incompetent Owner/Chairman (in 8 reviews)

• Very unmotivated behavior from upper management (in 7 reviews)

"GDS Group Review"

Current Employee - Project Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Director in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at GDS for about five and a half years. It has been a great experience for both myself and my family. It is a challenging, fast paced, energetic environment, working with people I not only consider my colleagues but my friends as well. We work hard and we play hard!

Cons

It's not for everyone. Expectations are high, performance is a must. There is a lot of turnover.

Advice to Management

Need to be a bit more selective in hiring process.

"GDS Needs to Do Better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at GDS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, great location, ping pong table, free coffee and friendly coworkers
    You get two weeks off in December
    Attractive incentives and commission structure

Cons

The turnover is really high and although GDS offers a really great commission structure, the majority of the sales team is not earning any commission because not many of them are actually closing deals, There are so many obstacles that make it difficult to make a sale; one obstacle is the company has a poor reputation, there is a ripoff report about GDS online and this has lead to prospects backing out of deals.

The job is really hard mainly because GDS makes the job hard; they have a strict sales process, they use outdated sales techniques and salespeople are not given complete control over the entire sales cycle(only managers are allowed to negotiate and close deals). If you come from a sales environment where you are allowed to pitch and close deals on the first phone call or where you are in control of the entire sales cycle, this company is not for you. The sales team is not provided with leads, they have to find their own leads and they are not provided with time during the work day to search for leads(they expect you to search for leads on your own time); nor do they provide resources or training to help you effectively search for leads. Managers are not very helpful when it comes to training and providing the necessary tools to assist with finding leads and meeting goals. Management is also complacent and set in their ways, they are not open to new ideas or different approaches; you will not be allowed to utilize any sales techniques you may have acquired from a previous role.

The environment can be very "clicky" and toxic at times, there is no HR department so there is no code of ethics being enforced. You will often witness managers openly gossip and say mean things about their subordinates. employees can basically get away making offensive remarks, remarks that would have resulted in them being fired at another company. If you are not meeting your goals you will be punished, degraded and made to feel like crap. Management is not careful with their words, often times what they thought was motivating felt more like verbal abuse.

"Hires & Fires"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at GDS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. Travel Opportunity. Work life balance & holidays. Learning curve.

Cons

No job security. Rarely do people move up. Movement=In, down, and out the door. Managers are not incentivized to help their subordinates, so they rarely do. Clicky. If people don't like you, you will not have an opportunity to make money. Also, commission is constantly revised, against the employees interest. Unequal pay among same level jobs. Very unmotivated behavior from upper management.

Advice to Management

Let people work up, not down and out the door. Give base & commission that are worth the quality of employees you try to attract and competitive for the industry. This is the reason why people don't work hard, don't stay, and the turn over is so high (and I am sure, very expensive for the business)

Aug 24, 2017

Thank you for leaving an honest review. We are grateful for any feedback we receive from our employees. Your comments have been passed on and will serve as part of a wider discussion of improving... More

"STAFF"

Current Employee - Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clear message of job responsibilities, friendly co-workers, incredible work space in lower Manhattan, team environment, career advancement

Cons

Some may not like the extensive travel required

Jul 4, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your positive feedback. As always if you ever have recommendations for improvement please don't hesitate to contact the HR/Recruitment team.

"fake reviews - 7 reviews written by management - dated June 26 and June 23"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at GDS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the last 7 reviews are completely fake, written by management / people coerced by management to write these. the only thing good about this company are the co-workers, ping pong and occasional travel. base pay is way below market rate. very hard to sell products when person on the other end of the phone with even the smallest degree of common sense Google's GDS Group and finds Ripoff reports. $50k to sponsor an event with fake people attending - yea, no thanks.

Cons

pay is low. 10% of the office makes decent money. rest of the people work for a few months and finds another sales gig. extremely high turnover. fired 14 people in one day out of nowhere...

Advice to Management

hire real management.

Jul 24, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your feedback, we’re sorry your GDS experience did not meet your expectations. We are very proud of our products and have long standing clients that would recommend the value they... More

"GDS - Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We provide one of the best networking and deal making events in multiple verticals. The team works extremely well together and the environment is very friendly and open to suggestions. The managment team are always there for everyone to either help or suggest ways in making sure we all succeed.

Cons

If your a hustler and work hard the job is great! It's just like any job if you put in the time and effort you will be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Your doing a great job. Best management we've had since I've been around.

Jul 10, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for taking the time to leave GDS Group a review, we really appreciate your feedback. Thank you for being part of the team!

""Great culture, great people, rewarding role""

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Miami, FL

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place for career development. Ambitious company that is driving to be the best in the industry. Rewards those who are hungry and determined. You're put on a path from the moment you arrive. Work hard, play hard mentality. Great culture, great people, strong leadership. Employees are very tight with one another, and it's a fun place to work. Office is also very international, which is refreshing.

Cons

If you're not prepared to take on a structured work environment and you're not able to adopt best practices you will struggle. Quite a demanding role for the first 6-12 months.

This is not a con for me, but you do travel with the job, which can be difficult for some people, especially if you have kids.

Jul 10, 2017 – CMO

Thanks for taking the time to share some insight into your life at GDS, we’re so glad to hear you’re enjoying it! We’re extremely proud to help support our employees in achieving their professional... More

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Since I started at GDS, it has been a great experience for me. If you invest yourself in the business, they will invest in you. The skills you gain, the network you're able to build and the commission potential are amazing. If you're looking for an opportunity to become a great sales person, develop skills to differentiate yourself in the market and immerse yourself in c-suite environment, GDS is the spot for you.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is a con, but you have to work hard to do well. Success won't be handed to you here.

Advice to Management

One area that could use some improvement is around communication. We are in a satellite office, so sometimes we don't have immediate access to information about important on-goings.

Jul 4, 2017 – CMO

Thank you for your positive feedback. Communication is key and we don't want anyone to feel left out in Bristol, New York or Miami. We are working on our internal newsletter, chatter groups in... More

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at GDS Group over 1.5 years and it has been the best decision I have made. Reason being, this place is how you develop and sharpen real sales skills, with the opportunity to make big money. I want to say this is the Navy Seals training of sales. The culture doesn't get any better, great people, ambitious, and potential for earnings is high.

Cons

If you need to be micromanaged this isn't the place for you

Jul 4, 2017 – CMO

"Work hard and it'll pay off"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is all about the work and effort you put into and how hard you try.. GDS is not an environment where you can lean back and hope for the best- you have to be a go getter! A hunter! You must have consistency and persistence and these will be your determining factors of success.

The office environment is supportive and if you ask for help, you will always receive it. Your boss will always guide you to success. What you expect from them, is exactly what they expect from you - dedication. So if you have a great work ethic, this is a great environment for you.

You will also build relationships with C level execs and entrepreneurs. This is a great opportunity to learn from the professionals in the industry.

Cons

Have every employee see the event and how it all works. This changes their perspective and understanding of the business model.

Jul 10, 2017 – CMO

Many thanks for your very kind review, we’re so pleased to hear you are enjoying your GDS experience. We have taken your feedback on board as we constantly look to improve every aspect of GDS Group... More