GDS Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Spencer Green

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great culture, great people, strong leadership (in 14 reviews)

• Ping pong tables, 2 weeks paid off for Christmas (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • If you value your career and don't want to work in the boiler room do not join this business (in 9 reviews)

• Very unmotivated behavior from upper management (in 7 reviews)

1. "every day is a challenge but your hard work will pay off !!"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

working with promising products, fun environment, good salary with great benefits, work-life balance, management support

Cons

might need to travel to attend Summits (sometimes difficult if you have a family), disgruntled employees

Advice to Management

should do more salary reviews

2. "Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Miami, FL

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at GDS for two years and have nothing but amazing things to say about GDS. The knowledge I gained while at GDS will benefit me moving forward, whether I stay in sales or not. Yes, it is a sales environment and does push you, but every job should push you to be the best person you can be!

Cons

At the end of the day you are exhausted, but its a good exhausted since you always feel like you put as much into the position as possible. Other than that, everything else was very positive.

Advice to Management

Promote within versus promoting from outside the organization. It is important for senior leaders to understand the culture and product before they step into senior management roles.

3. "AMAZING COMPANY!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience at GDS has been nothing but incredible. Outside of the fact that the commission structure, salary, and MANY perks are unparalleled, this company goes above and beyond to treat you like family. Everyone here is friendly and willing to help and guide you along the way. It's a fun environment with very driven and skilled individuals. There is nothing bad I can say about this company who I can now call close friends.

Cons

I have not encountered anything that I would consider a con.

"High growth company with exciting career opportunities!!"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive in New York, NY

I worked at GDS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Salary, Diversity, Work life balance, Stability, Positive atmosphere

Cons

The growth of gds continues to increase every year, we need more locations !!

Advice to Management

Keep performing evaluations and supporting your team !!

"Feedback based on my experience"

Current Employee - Business Development Executive in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great commission structure. Fun culture. Good products and services. Recognizes performance and productivity. Pro-active training system. Career advancement opportunities.

Cons

You need to think strategically but also be personable.
    With a high income, comes high accountability and responsibility to deliver on your numbers and goals.
    If you have the talent and mindset to see yourself through the challenges of a selling environment, you can build a successful career here.

Advice to Management

Provide honest insightful feedback on a regular basis.

"Not a Job for Real Salespeople"

Former Employee - Business Development Executive
    Former Employee - Business Development Executive

I worked at GDS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice office, great location, decent pay & benefits, ping pong table & competitions, friendly coworkers, two weeks off in December

Cons

The biggest lie they tell is that salespeople can make a lot of money and that they are in control of what they make, but in all do reality most salespeople are not making sales and those who are making sales don't earn a lot of commission because the manager is in control of what you make... salespeople don't negotiate and close deals, only managers do. Technically you are not the one doing the selling, your manager is....a manager is always on the phone with you during the final sales pitch telling you what to say, you have to repeat what they say verbatim. Salespeople do not have complete control of the sales cycle, you will not develop your own sales pitch...you're either being told what to say or you have to read from a wordy 5-7 page script.

The managers controls the sale, they decide the price and therefore dictates how much commission you will earn. The manager's goal is not aligned with salesperson's goal, the sales person's goal is to earn the highest amount of the commission, but the manager's goal is just to make sure everyone on the team is making a sale...regardless of the amount. This is why when your manager is closing deals for you they always offer discounts, they will negotiate it down just to get a sale, and this results in salespeople earning lower commission. In all reality, salespeople are not there to make a lot of money, they are there to make the company money and to help their manager's keep their job. Managers are not concerned with helping salespeople earn a lot money, they are only concerned with making sure everyone on their team is making a sale, so that they can appear as though they know what they are doing to the CEO....they only care about themselves and making sure they won't be replaced. As a salesperson your job there is to help your managers keep their job, and that fact will constantly be rubbed in your face.

You're more like a con artist than a sales person, you are basically cheating companies out of thousands of dollars by lying to them about the delegates attending these events. You are encouraged to lie to prospects about everything...your job title, what GDS does, what you are selling, the companies that are attending the events and etc.

"Trigger happy boss in NYC"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at GDS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, great downtown location, drinks in office and during lunch. If you play ping pong you will love break time

Cons

I honestly believe that the NYC boss wakes up every morning wondering whom he can fire next. Cliqy, “Mean girl” environment. Unprofessional team leaders who think they can close but actually hurt every potential sale. Their first sales “tactic” is to discount price so if you’re a potential buyer don’t pay full price. They are afraid of the competition which is a group of old employees that started their own company.

Advice to Management

Am I a disgruntled exemployee...sure...I’m disgruntled because I actually didn’t pay attention to Glassdoor reviews and wasted time here. Queue the “good review” in 5....4....3...2...1...

"Take the Bad Reviews Seriously"

Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sponsorship Sales in New York, NY

I worked at GDS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive base salary, great sales prizes, fun atmosphere, nice office, you get to leave at 5pm, and you get two weeks off at the end of the year.

Cons

Sales people are disposable, the turnover is really high because they are constantly hiring and firing. There is no job security, most sales people don't last more than 5 months, some didn't even make it past training.

Although you are selling summit sponsorships, management treats it like you're selling IT software or something. It shouldn't be difficult to sell these sponsorships but management makes it difficult to sell because the sales process so long(too many steps required before you can close a deal) and uncompromising( you have to stick to the script, not allowed to leave voice mails or send emails, you can't tell prospects you are selling summits, can't mention the price until the end of the pitch, you can only sell to the CEO, only your manager can negotiate and close deals). The fact that these sponsorship packages are overpriced and that GDS has a bad reputation(google GDS ripoff report) doesn't help either. Also, management doesn't provide sale people with the necessary training and tools to be successful; you're pretty much setup up fail.

If you are looking to develop or enhance your sales skills, that won't happen here. This company uses unethical sales practices; you are trained and encouraged to lie to prospects and so you are basically being developed into a professional con artist. You are scamming companies out of their money by selling them a fake list of delegates attending these summits.

You will not make as much money as they claim you will, they will lure you in with their commission plan but the majority of the sale team is not earning any commission because they are not actually selling these packages; only a few sales people were actually selling these packages.

Management can be toxic and unprofessional at times. There is lot of gossiping, micromanaging, clicky behavior, shadiness that goes on there. Management also has a tendency to punish and degrade employees if they are underperforming .

Advice to Management

cleanup your reputation or rebrand

"GDS Needs to Do Better"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at GDS Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice office, great location, ping pong table, free coffee and friendly coworkers
    You get two weeks off in December
    Attractive incentives and commission structure

Cons

The turnover is really high and although GDS offers a really great commission structure, the majority of the sales team is not earning any commission because not many of them are actually closing deals, There are so many obstacles that make it difficult to make a sale; one obstacle is the company has a poor reputation, there is a ripoff report about GDS online and this has lead to prospects backing out of deals.

The job is really hard mainly because GDS makes the job hard; they have a strict sales process, they use outdated sales techniques and salespeople are not given complete control over the entire sales cycle(only managers are allowed to negotiate and close deals). If you come from a sales environment where you are allowed to pitch and close deals on the first phone call or where you are in control of the entire sales cycle, this company is not for you. The sales team is not provided with leads, they have to find their own leads and they are not provided with time during the work day to search for leads(they expect you to search for leads on your own time); nor do they provide resources or training to help you effectively search for leads. Managers are not very helpful when it comes to training and providing the necessary tools to assist with finding leads and meeting goals. Management is also complacent and set in their ways, they are not open to new ideas or different approaches; you will not be allowed to utilize any sales techniques you may have acquired from a previous role.

The environment can be very "clicky" and toxic at times, there is no HR department so there is no code of ethics being enforced. You will often witness managers openly gossip and say mean things about their subordinates. employees can basically get away making offensive remarks, remarks that would have resulted in them being fired at another company. If you are not meeting your goals you will be punished, degraded and made to feel like crap. Management is not careful with their words, often times what they thought was motivating felt more like verbal abuse.

"GDS Group Review"

Current Employee - Project Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Director in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at GDS for about five and a half years. It has been a great experience for both myself and my family. It is a challenging, fast paced, energetic environment, working with people I not only consider my colleagues but my friends as well. We work hard and we play hard!

Cons

It's not for everyone. Expectations are high, performance is a must. There is a lot of turnover.

Advice to Management

Need to be a bit more selective in hiring process.