GE Aviation Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have a good work-life balance and they have good benefits (in 38 reviews)

• One of the biggest companies in the world, lots of opportunities to change roles and progress (in 21 reviews)

Cons

"Was a great place to work - times are getting tough"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Base salary excellent. Great to work on leading gas turbine engines (commercial, military & M&I). Work with a lot of driven people who strive for excellence. If you join the company early in your career (I didn't), tons of opportunity for growth and advancement. Edison program and technical training programs are excellent. Being ex-military, I enjoy the camaraderie and collaboration with my young engineers - they're very talented and motivated.

Cons

In spite of record sales of engines, we seem to be struggling to make ends meet. T&L, bonuses, salary action (1-3%) are poor. A lot of great technical talent has either been removed by the recent RIF or by choice. Attitudes and general spirit is not good. Upper management is not leading by any measure. I'm disheartened the direction the company seems to be heading - short term profit gain for long term struggles. Moving more engineering work overseas is not the answer. I am very concerned a lot of my young, very talented and motivated engineers, will be gone in the 2-3 years.

Advice to Management

Keep the chaos and poor leadership up, and all the good talent (myself included) will be gone.

GE Aviation Response

Jul 6, 2017 – Global Employment Brand Leader

Thank you for this review. We value feed back to continue to evolve to strive for better.

"Doesn't live up to the hype."

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Auburn, AL
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Auburn, AL

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Air conditioned factory, none of the jobs require hard labor, clean facility.

Cons

Extreme mismanagement in the name of cost savings.

Advice to Management

Set your technical support up for success by giving them the tools they ask for and need to be successful. Stop the "we have to make do with what we have to save money" attitude. It sets you up for failure when you expect projects to be successful even when your support staff tells you that more resources are required. Very disappointed with plant leadership.

"Lost touch with its core technology and loyalty to the work force who made it great"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Evendale, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Evendale, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good technology and talent pool

Cons

Engineers, especially in the core technology are not being treated the same way. The baby boomer generation is retiring every year in huge amount while the company is moving more and more to just money, finances and digital.
    Mid to advanced core competent technology engineers are suffering

Advice to Management

Protect your mid career engineers as they are frustrated and leaving.

"Great place to develop skill sets"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Internal job movement encouraged which provides great opportunities for challenging new roles

Cons

The company is so large that it sometimes feels like your just a face in the crowd

Advice to Management

Create a vision for employees that is tangible and real. It's hard to relate and get excited about goals and objectives that have been handed down through the layers of the company.

5. "GE Aviation"

Current Employee - Lead Manufacturing Engineer in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Manufacturing Engineer in West Chester, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company with many opportunities for growth and advancement. Culture of compliance and open reporting. Permissive time off. If you make work life balance a priority, good managers will be supportive.

Cons

Career paths can be difficult to navigate. Like any other large company there is beaurocracy and opportunity for improvement and simplification. Opportunities for growth seem to only present themselves when moving jobs. Teams do not often promote employees who do well unless they threaten a move or job change. Work life balance will suffer if you don't make it a priority.

Advice to Management

Look into actual merit promotions.

"Not a great place for engineers"

Current Employee - Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GE is a world-class company with world-class opportunities, loaded with interesting technology, friendly and intelligent peers, solid middle management, and a real commitment to integrity through all layers of the company. At GE you have the opportunity to work on some of the most interesting problems in the world and work with some of the best people in the world. As long as you're just in it for interesting work and don't care about getting top-tier pay/benefits and don't care whether or not the company values engineering contributions or talent, it's a great place to work.

Cons

GE's management is presently relentlessly pursuing cost savings in order to meet goals necessary to unlock a 20% increase in executive bonuses (google 'ge executive bonus 20% increase'). As a part of this, GE has recently

- Doubled-down on globalization, asking US-based engineers to train their global counterparts while making massive cuts in the US and staffing up in global centers
    - Moved to pay in arrears, effectively stiffing the employee base out of a weeks' pay in the short term
    - Moved to 'permissive leave' for all employees, and shortly thereafter began applying pressure to take less vacation that we were previously allotted ('well, I see that you've already used more leave than <insert peer name> this year, are you planning to cut back for the rest of the year')
    - Stiffed patent awardees out of the usual bonus associated with receiving patents (four figures)
    - Capped the global reward & recognition program at $500 (which adds a little salt to the wound, since it's being done in pursuit if increased exec bonuses)
    - Cut funding from the employee affinity networks
    - Cut budgets for travel and training, including making internal travel & training nearly impossible (Crotonville, for instance, which is a bright spot within the company)
    - Regularly promised an end to layoffs, while executing at least 2-3 waves of layoffs per year at profitable businesses while hiring contractors and offshore engineers
    - Frozen pay increases for the most senior engineers for 3 years
    - Allowed salaries for the remainder of the engineering workforce to stagnate

There have been so many other things that I'm surely forgetting a few, but you get the idea. As you can imagine, this has led to an outflow of talented individuals, and a loss of community knowledge for our core products. The situation hasn't gone critical yet, but whether or not management know it, they are on a path to a scary place.

Advice to Management

- Upper management needs to make a genuine effort to treat engineering well. Whether or not you realize it, you need to retain your experienced US engineering workforce or the costs to the company will be huge.
    - Deep austerity is not a path to massive profits. Didn't work for Apple in the 90's, wont work for GE now.

7. "I enjoyed my time there."

Former Employee - Computer Software Engineer Co-OP in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Computer Software Engineer Co-OP in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I got to work with an amazing team each rotation.
    -Pay is rather good. The pay is based on years at college.

Cons

-They sometimes lack work for the interns to do

"Not much left for US Engineers due to global shift. Penny pinching and constant threat of layoffs."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training, pay is competitive, education opportunities are plentiful. The EEDP program offers a masters with no commitment. Cutting edge tech.

Cons

The business has focused on short term gain.  All they care about is the stock price yet have no idea how to increase it.  When a company buys 50 billion of its stock back yet leaves its pension 33 billion under funded and the stock doesn't move that should tell you something.

I've been in multiple all-hands and the threat of layoffs is brought up every time seemingly like a scare tactic.

Meanwhile,  apparently GE Aviation has been having record profits and sales.

US Engineering has been forced over the last few years to train global engineers to do their jobs. Now, there are few jobs left for design engineers in the US outside military programs.

Leading by fear and miss- managing our pensions is going to drive every good employee out of the company.

Advice to Management

Stop pinching pennies. When you tell your employees that we can't afford pens and pencils yet brag about record profits it destroys morale and productivity.

Also, stop outsourcing all the us engineering to other countries. They do not perform the same quality of work and work at half the speed.  Read, penny wise pound foolish

"Leadership Nightmare"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Evendale, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Evendale, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great personal challenges and experience training for better companies. Ge has many talented and dedicated employees that will guide you thru a mentoring program that will enable you for a career growth outside GE.

Cons

GE Benefits are sub-standard and expensive. GE uses self-funded healthcare as a profit center from their employees.
    Leadership has become fixated on personal careers and have sacrificed employee health and satisfaction for personal needs.

Advice to Management

GE was once a great company run by leaders. Today's Aviation Executive team has lost that talent becoming glorified administrators instead of leaders. It is time the leadership starts listening to the changes in culture and acts upon the very employee centric priorities they impose on sub-section level leaders.

"Lost at Sea"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers to work with on projects.

Cons

The best people are bailing and its getting worse. What does that mean? Not enough projects to go around. Constant re-org churn. Place is shrinking and future is not looking bright.