GE Aviation Reviews in Grand Rapids, MI | Glassdoor

Grand Rapids, MI Area

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have a good work-life balance and they have good benefits (in 43 reviews)

• Great company with lots of opportunities in different industries (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance can be a little tough (in 55 reviews)

• Can get lost in the large company (in 29 reviews)

1. "I enjoyed my time there."

Former Employee - Computer Software Engineer Co-OP in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Computer Software Engineer Co-OP in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I got to work with an amazing team each rotation.
    -Pay is rather good. The pay is based on years at college.

Cons

-They sometimes lack work for the interns to do

"My co-workers are the best!"

Current Employee - Advanced Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Advanced Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GE has great benefits for new parents, with leave for both mother and father. I've always enjoyed the team members with whom I've worked; the team members have a wealth of knowledge and are very helpful; GE hires in good people, when they are allowed to hire.

Cons

Since becoming GE Aviation, from Smiths Aerospace, there are fewer and fewer opportunities to advance. Top leadership seems to be making the same mistakes from 5 years ago and limiting who can manage teams/groups. This all seems to stem from ways to reduce costs; leadership doesn't seem to realize that not all technical people can manage and not all managers are technical. Let's hire more contractors to learn about our products just so we can let them go later; the knowledge is then gone. We get to meet great people, but we lose all the knowledge. We need permanent team members, not contractors.
    Health benefits, other than leave for parents, are just as bad as other companies - more catastrophic; at least the company provides something. The benefits continue to deteriorate from year to year, with employees having to pay more out of pocket. The salary doesn't increase enough each year to account for the increase in out-of-pocket expenses.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the engineers, the project managers; day in and day out, they see all the issues and continually offer suggestions, but no one is listening. When something isn't working, don't make too many changes all at once; talk to people to see what you can actually do first. Uprooting everything just makes it that much worse.

"Not a great place for engineers"

Current Employee - Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GE is a world-class company with world-class opportunities, loaded with interesting technology, friendly and intelligent peers, solid middle management, and a real commitment to integrity through all layers of the company. At GE you have the opportunity to work on some of the most interesting problems in the world and work with some of the best people in the world. As long as you're just in it for interesting work and don't care about getting top-tier pay/benefits and don't care whether or not the company values engineering contributions or talent, it's a great place to work.

Cons

GE's management is presently relentlessly pursuing cost savings in order to meet goals necessary to unlock a 20% increase in executive bonuses (google 'ge executive bonus 20% increase'). As a part of this, GE has recently

- Doubled-down on globalization, asking US-based engineers to train their global counterparts while making massive cuts in the US and staffing up in global centers
    - Moved to pay in arrears, effectively stiffing the employee base out of a weeks' pay in the short term
    - Moved to 'permissive leave' for all employees, and shortly thereafter began applying pressure to take less vacation that we were previously allotted ('well, I see that you've already used more leave than <insert peer name> this year, are you planning to cut back for the rest of the year')
    - Stiffed patent awardees out of the usual bonus associated with receiving patents (four figures)
    - Capped the global reward & recognition program at $500 (which adds a little salt to the wound, since it's being done in pursuit if increased exec bonuses)
    - Cut funding from the employee affinity networks
    - Cut budgets for travel and training, including making internal travel & training nearly impossible (Crotonville, for instance, which is a bright spot within the company)
    - Regularly promised an end to layoffs, while executing at least 2-3 waves of layoffs per year at profitable businesses while hiring contractors and offshore engineers
    - Frozen pay increases for the most senior engineers for 3 years
    - Allowed salaries for the remainder of the engineering workforce to stagnate

There have been so many other things that I'm surely forgetting a few, but you get the idea. As you can imagine, this has led to an outflow of talented individuals, and a loss of community knowledge for our core products. The situation hasn't gone critical yet, but whether or not management know it, they are on a path to a scary place.

Advice to Management

- Upper management needs to make a genuine effort to treat engineering well. Whether or not you realize it, you need to retain your experienced US engineering workforce or the costs to the company will be huge.
    - Deep austerity is not a path to massive profits. Didn't work for Apple in the 90's, wont work for GE now.

"Lost at Sea"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co-workers to work with on projects.

Cons

The best people are bailing and its getting worse. What does that mean? Not enough projects to go around. Constant re-org churn. Place is shrinking and future is not looking bright.

"Aviation Systems"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mobility (both in location and job), interesting work, decent wage, nice people, allows flexible schedule and working from home, travel if desired

Cons

People are not held accountable, constant management changes, shoot from the hip mentality (management), too much red tape and bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Talk to your people at all levels.

"Great company!"

Former Employee - Advanced Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Advanced Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was a lot of good on the job training opportunities to keep skills up to date and learn new skills.

Cons

There was excessive corporate mandated training.

"Aviation System"

Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Engineering Project Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at GE Aviation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hour, Great coworkers

Cons

limited new opportunities in Aviation System

"Great team, poor management"

Current Employee - Software Lead in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Software Lead in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are excellent, diverse and highly capable. The company do

Cons

Medical benefits are awful, pay raises are non-existent, promotions are impossible.

Advice to Management

Being competitive doesn't not mean a race to the bottom.

"Great Place to Start a Career"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Vacation Amount, Challenging, flexibility

Cons

Work is sometimes boring and cumbersome

Advice to Management

Listen to the Engineers more, we are the ones doing the work!

"GE is Reinventing Itself"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging and interesting work; competitive compensation and benefits.

Cons

GE is a meritocracy where only the strong survive and prosper.

Advice to Management

Please improve the lavatories!

Showing 52 of 1,145 reviews