GE Aviation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great flexibility and work/life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great company with lots of opportunities in different industries (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can go for a toss in few teams, while it is great for few others (in 59 reviews)

• Can get lost in the large company (in 29 reviews)

"Good Company but Needs to Simplify"

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

Pay is good
    Vacation WAS great but is now dependent on your manager due to PTO

Cons

Old company / Old values
    Bureaucratic nightmare

Advice to Management

Move forward. Times have changed. Simplify processes and streamline getting actual work done.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great flexibility and work/life balance. A lot of support to learn and get the best of your role. Great opportunities for growth within the company.

Cons

Budget cuts have reduced perks such as travel, rewards and recognition, etc,

Advice to Management

Listen more to employees' insights

3. "Machinist"

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

Great work environment
    People are nice

Cons

I have not found any cons.

4. "Risk Analyst"

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

Permisive time off and flex schedule.

Cons

The health ins options are terrible.

5. "Wonderful team to work with at GE"

I worked at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

GE provides nearly unlimited opportunities to continue your education. Classes online, in person, and through outside providers. Working together teams accomplish many amazing feats while providing customers with the very best aircraft engines available in the world.

Cons

It is a large organization that can be slow to change.

Advice to Management

Value the knowledge base of your senior employees, strive to pass this wealth of information on to others, before seeing them to the door.

"No give an take"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay Good Coworkers Average benefits Decent 401K plan

Cons

Constantly Scrutinized Clock Watchers

Advice to Management

Follow Your Policies the same with every employee

7. "My current role as a design engineer has a great mix of detail design, leadership of my support team, and project mgmt."

Current Employee - Design Engineering in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Design Engineering in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The technical challenges here are endless and I learn so much from the more senior engineers.

Cons

Schedules/ budgets can be tight, and there is a lot of responsibility placed on every engineer.

Advice to Management

Succession planning has been lacking

"Disappointed in GE!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Engineer in Newark, DE

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, permissive time

Cons

No work life balance, constantly in reactive mode, inadequate engineering project management, force to work long hours, pressure to produce, people are dropping like flies.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals and provide your team with the required tools to succeed. Listen to your technical staff!

"Fair Place to Work"

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

Great pay.
    Nice place to work.
    Room for growth.
    Safe

Cons

Poor management
    Issues with correcting problems

Advice to Management

Please review your ideal that it is good to move your talent around so much.

"Experience as an MQE in Lynn, MA"

Former Employee - Lead Manufacturing Quality Engineer in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Manufacturing Quality Engineer in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Adding the name GE to your resume. Certain people, especially union workers, who care about their jobs and have helped me throughout my time in Lynn, some of which who treat me like family.

Cons

**Disclaimer: I am only speaking of my experiences at GE in Lynn, MA. I cannot say the same applies to other GE sites.**

My experience at GE in Lynn has been rather unfortunate with bad timing. I was hired to backfill an MQE leaving the department for another role within GE, but only had 2 weeks of overlap and "training". There was another MQE who was about 4 months in training when I started, but he quit 2 months later. Essentially, I was working as the solo MQE with little to no training at all on the product and process. The only knowledge I had at the time was clerical documentation since that was easy for a new employee to be assigned.

There is no system for training or a clear description of what responsibilities are owned by an MQE. I would get emails from upper management personnel who I have never met, getting yelled at about responsibilities that I didn't know that I owned. There are software accesses that I didn't know that I needed, and it was like pulling teeth to get the information I needed to get tasks done. 6 -7 months in, I still don't have the proper accesses to software, vaulted archive/legacy sites, etc.

There's a lot of compartmentalization of information and rights. I understand that this industry is guarded and stakes are high for aviation safety, but becoming so heavily dependent on individuals for certain tasks that are needed every day does lead to some tension within coworkers and becoming perceived as a PITA.

The machine shop is like walking back to the 60s and 70s. Machines are so poorly maintained and constantly shutting down and being worked on, of course when delivery of parts are critical. Because Lynn is one of the older sites of GE, many practices and pieces of equipment are outdated. The software used is homegrown, extremely cumbersome, and very outdated to be effective as an ERP system. Basic functionality for tracking parts are unreliable and production meetings are held just to verify if what's in the system is correct by literally counting what's on the shop floor.

The union culture was an eyeopener to me since it was my first experience working with a unionized workforce. So many functions are segregated and protected by the union that it seems to create more of a hassle to clear up technicalities than actually make a part. Many union workers are great and truly care about their jobs, but there are also some who exploit the system and get away with technicalities with outdated policies and procedures that are protected by the union.

The work-life balance is nonexistent. During my interview I was asked how I felt about overtime, and I responded that I was flexible and was willing to put in time as needed. I had no idea that "casual overtime" and weekends were expected. If I had known this I would not have accepted the job. A typical day is at least 11 hours, some being as long as 12 or 13+, many of those hours not compensated for.

The most frustrating thing in my experience is the daily struggle of keeping up with production and "meeting numbers". Of course all manufacturing and companies are numbers driven (nothing wrong with that), but due to the high commitments and volumes to meet, there are too many problems that are being "band-aid fixed" just to get a part out the door. I would assume many engineers want to fix a problem so that it never happens again, but this environment does not promote problem solving strategies. Every day is the same thing with dispositioning the same defects, writing the same MRBs to engineering to accept a part, without taking the time to understand root cause, pull in experts, and fix the problem!

Advice to Management

Fix the entire system. Invest in new equipment and software to become digital. Establish a clear list of responsibilities instead of surprising employees with new tasks. Provide ample training so that new employees are not floundering for help. Update outdated and irrelevant policies and procedures. Hire more technical people instead of bringing in more management who are not actually involved with fixing the problem. There are "too many chiefs but not enough Indians".

Showing 891 of 1,162 reviews