GE Aviation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
Cons
  • The work/life balance can be a little tough (in 47 reviews)

• It is a large company so at times the bureaucracy can be frustrating (in 25 reviews)

"GE Aviation Engineering"

Current Employee - Engineer in Evendale, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Evendale, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big, you can hide if that is your desire. If you desire a traditional management position, i.e. 1960s, this is a good place.

Cons

Experience of most engineers at GE is limited to very specific areas with little understanding of end customer requirements. They tend to be inflexible with little value to outside markets.

Warning! If you are planning to come into GE from the outside, don't! It does not matter if you are a world authority, you will be ignored.

GE does not invent, they buy. They tend to be 20 years behind the industry and are extremely risk adverse. This serves the commercial aircraft market well, but inhibits competition in noncommercial aviation markets.

Advice to Management

Lean out the management ranks, and get some outside blood in there. Learn to balance risks and abandon the atmosphere of threats and insecurity for the engineering work force. No one currently manufactures steam locomotives!

Quit moving all of the engineering jobs out of country. It just costs you more, and all of the state side engineers are tired of fixing the junk constantly generated.

If you truly desire a "fastworks" environment, then move out of Ohio. It's an attitude and life style, and is not supported by the traditional culture in the company or community.

2. "Antiquated chauvinistic culture"

Former Employee - Lead Test Engineer in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Test Engineer in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Preference for advancement foremost goes to the GE development program graduates.
    Average tenure is 2 years. Good for quick advancement
    Global and diverse company

Cons

Average tenure is 2 years. Good for quick advancement (see above)
    Antiquated and chauvinistic culture
    Leadership is always changing
    Tough union shop

Advice to Management

Senior leaders need to stick around for at least 5 years for some consistency

"High stress environment"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can learn a lot but stress is significant because leadership is mostly worried about managing their careers. HR is not your friend and will take down if they don't like you

Cons

Managers are promoted because they are someone's favorite not on ability. Very frustrating when your manager doesn't know how to lead a team and doesn't understand some of the details of your job

Advice to Management

Promote people who get things done

5. "This company doesn't give hard working people a chance"

Current Employee - Warehouse in South Hooksett, NH
    Current Employee - Warehouse in South Hooksett, NH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    Good pay
    Great stability
    career growth

Cons

have to know someone to get in
    cronyism/corruption
    excessive demands, even of contract employees applying for contract work
    uses highly discriminatory hiring criteria with no accountability for how it accepts or rejects candidates
    uses long term contract help rather than direct; Hewlett Packard did the same thing in the 1990s, hiring "temps" without benefits for up to 15 years

Advice to Management

Give decent people a chance at decent jobs with your company
    Disclose reasons why you won't offer jobs to direct hires or contractors
    Stop performing excessive background checks etc on people you dont intend to hire

6. "This is bad."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Pros

Can't think any. At least, there are employee events for people social, but only limited to GE employee, not the contractor at the location

Cons

Office politic is worst at this location. Managers care about their achievements on the paper and don't care and don't respect employee or contractors. This location hires so many managers but only handful of engineers who actually do the work. I saw a project with 20s people, but only 2 people actually do the work, and they are contractors, not even GE employee. All other people are only good for talking and demanding what contractors should do without any actual technical knowledge of power generation and distribution system.

People with good inside connection but have no technical knowledge and experience can be easily promoted to the higher level but people with good technical knowledge and experience are remaining the same position.

Manager without good technical background can't manage people or projects well, so GE hires more sub-managers to help out, which creates so many unnecessary positions/managers. It is a huge waste of money and no efficient at all.

There is no communication/information exchange between different departments. Projects are divided into different tasks and different tasks involved different departments, such as software, hardware, systems, etc. However, departments don't communicate each other, Another waste of time and resource.

Did I mention there is no PTO anymore?

Advice to Management

Respect the people actual doing the work, hire more qualified engineers and manager, and no office politic.

"Horrifying"

Former Employee - Senior Accounting Leader in Evendale, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Accounting Leader in Evendale, OH

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits, cutting edge work. You can make your job what it is or isn't. Very challenging work environment

Cons

Sexual and racial harassment run unabated. No heat. Vermin in office. White men rule here like 1950s. I was hospitalized while pregnant and told to come in to work or discuss my position.

Advice to Management

Join the 21st century, fire the old boys network

8. "Mechanic"

Former Employee - Mechanic in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Sterling, VA

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overtime. Great pay scale through advancement. Paid Time Off.

Cons

Management does not treat all employees equal. Buddy Buddy system. Management has favorites and go out their way to help them. Paychecks get shorted once or twice every month. The company then corrects the problem two to three weeks later from a weekly pay scale. Management are control freaks, they want the shop workers to do all the work for them while they do nothing. They only do enough to validate their jobs. Meetings for everything, its the G.E. way. They promote their favorites rather than qualified canidates. Hardworkers do not get recognize. They have OMLP's who are there for 8 months and bully shop workers. This is just the appetizer, this place needs to be investigated. BEWARE.. .

Advice to Management

Treat everyone as equal. Cut an employee a check if their paycheck is messed up. Have an expert investigate this company.

"Sr Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, lot of opportunities

Cons

Pay, Bureaucracy. Its only who you know, not what you know to grow in your career

Advice to Management

none

"Terrible Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at GE Aviation (Less than a year)

Pros

Other interns were great. Easy atmosphere to get around. Larger campus with a lot of other work involved

Cons

Wasn't given much of a task throughout the internship. Manager was out most of the time and other co-workers were not easily accessible. Felt disrespected when one of my co-workers couldn't remember my name for my entire 11 week rotation

Advice to Management

Need more involvement for interns. Very few interactions. Need to clarify the job task beforehand. Manager did not know I was coming in as an intern until the first day of internship

11. "Unorganized from top to bottom!"

Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Centereach, NY
    Former Employee - Shipping Clerk in Centereach, NY

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I saw in the week I was there. Honestly. 90% of people are rude

Cons

Unorganized from top to bottom. Management to employee. I worked in the shipping dept and it was a nightmare. The guy who was there to train me was terrible. He yelled at me when making mistakes and when I asked a question. Truly disrespectful. Granted this was happening on my first day. Most people were rude. Didn't say good morning and walked right past you. Was a really bad experience for me. I have 10 years manufacturing experience and never seen anything so bad

Advice to Management

Get someone new in the shipping dept. cut your losses and get someone who can train people who has patience. Someone with a good positive attitude who isn't on their cell phone all day. Implement lean training and get that dept back in shape.