GE Aviation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • Lots of opportunities to contribute (in 31 reviews)

• Generally an excellent work life balance, especially considering the new vacation policy (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be difficult to manage are times (in 44 reviews)

• Very large company so sometimes things move slowly (in 25 reviews)

1. "GE Aviation - Grand Rapids"

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

It was good at one time for a period. Variety of products but way behind on latest technology.

Cons

Leadership is stagnant and has been around for years. Not much upside, same people keep moving around at top but no real change. Very political. Decisions are slow and require too many people. Good engineers and good managers are leaving because the company is losing touch. Pay is behind and other tech companies are moving into the area paying more. You are given permissive time off and when you do after working major OT, people complain and talk about you behind your back. Sometimes, they call you back the day you take off.

Advice to Management

You need to listen to your people and not make decisions because you feel you have the answers. You are blocking progress.... If it does not change, GE HQ will be coming to town to make changes.

2. "Cmm Programmer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at GE Aviation as a contractor

Pros

New facility and equipment,

Cons

Poor management, very heavy turnover amongst skilled positions, over reliance on engineers fresh out of college, very political atmosphere

Advice to Management

Overcome ego, rely more on the experienced people, provide more leadership and oversight

3. "Mixed"

Former Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Evendale, OH
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Evendale, OH

I worked at GE Aviation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work. Smart people. Some level of flexibility.

Cons

Expectations very high and unsustainable.
    Culture of top tier importance only.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee satisfaction and hold executives accountable.

"Lead Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

If you are willing to sacrifice home life you can travel and move from job to job every year.

Cons

Company too big and too many generic processes that are applied across all businesses. Nothing meaningful can get done in a useful timeframe.
    Stock price reflects the lack of direction. It is attempting to call itself a Digital Company in order to attract younger engineers, but there is nothing digital about the company except the computer systems used to control equipment they manufacture.

Advice to Management

Break up the company.

6. "GE Aviation Co-op"

Former Employee - GE Aviation Co-Op in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - GE Aviation Co-Op in Lynn, MA

Pros

Opportunities for Advancement, Decent Benefits, Okay networking opportunities, lot's of hiring positions in different areas of the business, occasional free lunch and network meetings

Cons

Rude bosses, rude shop workers, unenthused workers, Shop floor was somewhat dirty, Floor workers had very little respect for the people they worked with

Advice to Management

Be more inclusive of your team, don't treat them poorly, don't yell at everyone on your team constantly

"Field Service Engineer Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern

Pros

GE aviation is a huge company which means there are endless opportunities to get involved with things. Some of the things happening on a daily basis with jet engines are pretty cool.

Cons

GE Aviation offered me a job after graduation and I declined it. My entire 12 week internship was spent working on a project that only took two hours. Also, there is a true hierarchy of management, meaning those who are entry level are left feeling very undermined. Also, GE Aviation failed to give me a monitor, a working chair, a telephone, and even a desk for my entire internship. I sat in a lunchroom chair on the corner of someone's desk the entire time working from my laptop screen, while my manager had a very comfortable chair, a double desk, and three additional monitors to work from.

Advice to Management

Please take into consideration that those who you manage should be treated equally as you. I was really excited to join GE Aviation when I first got the position, however, now I have nothing but negativity towards the company.

"Grand Rapids is not Green Acres"

Current Employee - Advanced Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Advanced Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Grand Rapids is a great place to raise a family. The community is very nice to be around, and the recreation opportunities (skiing, beaches, water recreation [even surfing], camping, fishing) are among the best in the country. If you like a change of seasons (especially snow), this is the location for you. There are many cultural activities too (ArtPrize, festival of the arts).

Cons

This GE location was acquired from Smiths Industries in 2007, and the mentality has not changed much. Locally, there is poor management at this GE location, The "Good 'ol Boy Network" is firmly entrenched here, and unless you are among the chosen few, you can expect poor advancement opportunities, poor raises and poor personal development opportunities, Image and exposure to managers counts for everything; performance is almost totally ignored. The bottom line comes first all the way up to the CEO. If you make a mistake, you will pay for it (unless you are higher-up in the organization, then you get a promotion). It is run by "bean counters" who have forgotten that without any engineers to gather the "beans", there would be no "beans" to count.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to "Yes" men. GE was built on a culture of challenging the reasons behind the decisions and making mistakes. There are too many managers here that only care about themselves. The adage of "The buck stops here" for managers doesn't apply (when you succeed, look through the glass for the reason; when you fail, look in the mirror).

"Bottom dollar"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Important safety critical work and you get to learn a lot (depending who your work under). It's a good jump start to your career.

Cons

It became increasingly obvious that the company doesn't care about its employees. The healthcare kept getting worse, time off became permissive from a set number, and they continually give customers unrealistic goals and expect you to work 80 hour weeks to make up for the project managers incompetent bidding.

10. "Front end - sales, business development, product management"

Current Employee - Business Management in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Business Management in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work at most sites. A lot managers will let you work from home, or have flexible hours, if necessary. Education benefits are top notch. Corporate training can be good, but is often stale and equates to "drinking the kool-aid".

Cons

Everything else. Finance rolls the roost, and have zero passion for aviation. HR is a close second. I'm all about being a profitable and stable company, that validates risk, but having passion in aviation when you work for a premier Aerospace company is essential in my mind. Management talks a good game, but it's clear they are all just looking for the next promotion. Posturing, read as self-promotion, is more important than actually doing a good job. Just look at the stock price under Immelt - pretty much the company he has laid out under him reflects....stagnant and under-performing. Now we're a "digital" company, 5 years behind the 8 ball. Classic instance of "too big to fail".

Bottom line - if you prefer politicking over being recognized for doing a great job, and over working with passionate people, then this is your place.

Advice to Management

Overhaul. Major overhaul.

11. "Summer Intern - Manufacturing"

Current Employee - EID Intern/Co-op in Rutland, VT
    Current Employee - EID Intern/Co-op in Rutland, VT

I have been working at GE Aviation (Less than a year)

Pros

-Location I had was small enough that most people knew who I was
    -Everyone in the plant was really willing to help me out
    -Housing stipend is competitive

Cons

-Very disorganized onboarding process - it took me 2 weeks to get all my permissions and hardware, and even then, I didn't have all the access I needed
    -Since there aren't many interns in Rutland, managers seemed like they didn't know what to do with me - all I got was small projects here and there that ran out quickly
    -Forced to accept offer very quickly (November), before many other companies even had a chance to send offers
    -Poor communication about location and role - I had to accept the position without knowing where I would be working and what I would be doing
    -Despite the illusion of preference in department (Design, Manufacturing, or Supply), once I started I was told that students of my year always get put into Manufacturing

Advice to Management

-Make the onboarding process smoother for all locations, not just Evendale and Lynn
    -Tell interns more about their potential role before the offer deadline