GE Aviation Reviews | Glassdoor

GE Aviation Reviews

Updated December 8, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have a good work-life balance and they have good benefits (in 43 reviews)

• Great company with lots of opportunities in different industries (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance can be a little tough (in 55 reviews)

• Can get lost in the large company (in 29 reviews)

"Eh"

I worked at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

Good company name. Decent pay. Onsite gym and healthcare. Great talent.

Cons

Limited work life balance. Cronyism. Big bureaucracy and felt like I added nothing-the stereotypical big commpany mid-level person.

Advice to Management

Take intelligent risks and get rid of the bs "feel good but does nothing" stuff.

"Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great pay and exciting product

Cons

Large company and sometimes hard to get promoted

Advice to Management

None

"GE Aviation / Austin Digitial"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hip and urban downtown location was recently renovated into a modern office design with contemporary office furnishings.

Laid back environment as other reviewers have stated, with games and ping-pong at work (more like laid-off techy-ops now).

Cons

Slackers are rampant throughout any large corporation, but Austin was out of control for many years with many employees chronically shirking work responsibilities.

Poorly trained and inexperienced staff attempting to maintain large and expensive projects.

Advice to Management

Keep trimming the fat.

4. "Mechanical Design Intern"

Pros

Learned a lot from a great manager, able to join groups that helped connect with interns

Cons

internship depends on who your manager is, some people did not enjoy the internship, others had a great time

Advice to Management

have a more structured set up so some students do not have nothing to do

"Lead Engineer"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Loves Park, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Loves Park, IL

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Loves Park (Rockford) based team is full of smart, decent people who are capable of great things if they weren't so encumbered by GE bureaucracy. The work environment is clean and generally comfortable. For salaried employees, the paid time off is flexible and theoretically unlimited.

Cons

For all it's projections to the contrary, GE is NOT a meritocracy nor do they compensate their employees sufficiently to retain talent. Additionally, the Loves Park site is a small business unit that is forced to be run like the 300,000-employee business of which it is part, subject to all the inefficiencies and corporate lunacy that entails. As such, the employees are not empowered to innovate or grow and good talent is difficult to retain. Morale is abysmal, the outlook is bleak and the future is uncertain. Lastly, the perpetually-revolving door of upper management serves to keep us all frustrated and confused on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Fight for our right to run ourselves like the nuclear unit, with real site management, that we used to be before we were swallowed by the GE leviathan. Make evident the great potential we have if we were allowed to leverage the power of GE while embracing the things that make the Loves Park site unique.

"Boys club culture"

I worked at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

Pay, training, good people, pension

Cons

outdated culture
    poor decision making at the senior levels

"Outdated equipment maker"

Former Employee - Production Test Technician in Bohemia, NY
    Former Employee - Production Test Technician in Bohemia, NY

Pros

None as far I can tell this division of Ge Has no future, stocks are at the bottom.

Cons

Bad management, no goals, no future in the industry , outdated quality and manufacturing methods, no real goal, profit ahead of quality, which is on the floor, they need a 1 hour meeting to decide if they want to work , bad place to be if you are contract labour, you will be treated like a third class citizen , first strike and you are out, most employees are remnants of a Reagan bygone era where the Russians were the bad guys.

Advice to Management

Managment are hard press by the numbers , and only the numbers , no experience most of them are fresh out of college .

"My co-workers are the best!"

Current Employee - Advanced Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Advanced Lead Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GE has great benefits for new parents, with leave for both mother and father. I've always enjoyed the team members with whom I've worked; the team members have a wealth of knowledge and are very helpful; GE hires in good people, when they are allowed to hire.

Cons

Since becoming GE Aviation, from Smiths Aerospace, there are fewer and fewer opportunities to advance. Top leadership seems to be making the same mistakes from 5 years ago and limiting who can manage teams/groups. This all seems to stem from ways to reduce costs; leadership doesn't seem to realize that not all technical people can manage and not all managers are technical. Let's hire more contractors to learn about our products just so we can let them go later; the knowledge is then gone. We get to meet great people, but we lose all the knowledge. We need permanent team members, not contractors.
    Health benefits, other than leave for parents, are just as bad as other companies - more catastrophic; at least the company provides something. The benefits continue to deteriorate from year to year, with employees having to pay more out of pocket. The salary doesn't increase enough each year to account for the increase in out-of-pocket expenses.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the engineers, the project managers; day in and day out, they see all the issues and continually offer suggestions, but no one is listening. When something isn't working, don't make too many changes all at once; talk to people to see what you can actually do first. Uprooting everything just makes it that much worse.

9. "Good Starting Internship"

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer Intern
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer Intern

I have been working at GE Aviation (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent for interns
    Company occasionally does some outings

Cons

Sometimes, there's no work to do so you have to struggle to find work to make it through an 8-hour day

"Career quicksand. Proceed at own risk."

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting products with great potential. Fantastic customer base in some areas. Some incredible pockets of genius in the individual contributor ranks.

Cons

Way too political and hierarchical. If you’re lower “rank” than someone, don’t plan on having your voice heard. Top down management with no upward feedback mechanism... compounded by poor upper level management (in terms of formal business knowledge, leadership skills, and strategic thinking).

Multiple individuals laid off after they voiced differing opinions to leadership. Many talented individuals are also voluntarily leaving due to the manic state of management/company.

Advice to Management

Lose the political leanings. Create an environment where people are comfortable to dissent (trust) so that we may start fixing the real issues. Implement a 360 degree feedback system. Take ownership and stop blaming subordinates for your business’s challenges. Just because aerospace is up as an industry, it doesn’t mean the business is fundamentally well.

Showing 876 of 1,140 reviews