GE Global Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
GE Global Research CTO Victor Abate
Victor Abate

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Cutting edge research, great work life balance, flexibility" (in 37 reviews)

• "The work environment is pretty nice" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is bloated and dont know how to run a research center" (in 12 reviews)

• "The bigger question is does GE have an appetite for a centralized R&D center anymore" (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Exciting times ahead"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Communication is improving all the time. Management is listening and positive changes are happening. Positive vibes about the center about the future. Manager is supportive and wants to help with career and future. Awesome flexibility and on-site services (gym, dry cleaning pick-up, flex time, time off etc.)

Cons

The time management culture can impede creativity.

Advice to Management

GRC is the innovation hub of GE with so many projects that are world changing. We’ve been through a rough time but employees are behind you to help shape a strong future!

"Headed in the right direction"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time

Pros

Ability to make major impact to the world through the problems we work on.
    World class technical experts across many disciplines.
    Vacation is unlimited (within reason), time of for having a child is great
    Seems to be turning a corner in terms of strategy for the future given the current state of GE. If current strategy holds (pursue more government relationships), it will be great for researchers over the next few years due to the problems they get to work on.
    Facilities are being upgraded....keep it up.

Cons

Current state of GE is one of constant change.
    Lots of attrition, but hiring is ramping up.
    Lots of recent changes in leadership...hopefully it has settled down.

Advice to Management

I like the new strategy that the GRC is headed in....let's stick to it! Try to minimize change because people are looking for stability.

"Early Career"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time

Pros

There are many opportunities to grow and try new things

Cons

Company is going through a tough time

"Engineer - Individual Contributor"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work-Life balance while offering a great work environment (people and projects). Good compensation for the location. Becoming more contemporary in offering services like green markets, gym, barber services, etc.

Cons

Overall GE financials and stock price weigh heavily on the research center's strategies (that change too often and with leadership) and mood. Long term outlook and prospects more uncertain these days.

Advice to Management

Changing strategies too often is counterproductive. Be as transparent as possible - people fill in the blanks with their own imagination if you don't. Changing titles, names, shuffling orgs and leadership may look good top-down, but very disruptive in the negative sense from the bottom-up.

"Tech Leader"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful technology depth, fantastic people and teaming, solid infrastructure and testing, rich legacy. Good career opps at GRC and in business. Great leadership and technical training. Other perks - gym (free if 75+ workouts/year), subsidized cafeteria, diversity groups, Toastmasters, sports leagues, Whitney club, bank, medical services, hair cuts, car services, etc.

Cons

Financials driving research direction; has resulted in strategic missteps, including 2017 layoffs of personnel now needed to execute on strategy. Facilities service org without accountability & beholden to union.

Advice to Management

Boldly commit to strategy, make it operational and execute. Be vulnerable and humble. Admit mistakes. Listen to those devoted to turnaround and loyal to GE and GRC. Empower them.

"Love what I do everyday and the impact it has on our company and the world"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazingly talented group of professionals who dream about the possibility of a better world and then proceed to invent it. I am blown away continually by the work going on across the research center that will improve the lives of people around the world.

One of the things I love most about my job at the research center is being able to see across all the GE businesses and understand what we are doing in the aviation, energy, and healthcare ecosystems we serve. You get a broad view of GE and can gain experience quickly working with multiple GE businesses.

Some additional pros of working at GE Global Research: flexible schedules, ability to shape/create the future of GE, great people.

Cons

GE is transforming as a company and GE Global Research has to do the same. That comes with uncertainty and challenges that we have to work through, but it also creates opportunities to contemporize and reinvent GE Global Research. I feel we are on the right path, but there is more work to do before we have fully redefined how we work as a research organization. The upside is that there is no shortage of great and inspiring work to do.

"Excited about where we are headed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While GE has been going through tough times and lots of negative noise in the news, at the research center we have started to talk about our path forward and I'm excited about it. It's been a rough couple of years, but I feel like most of that is behind us.

Flexible work arrangements and summer hours

Working on things that matter to the world

Cons

There is alot of noise about GE and the stock is very low. Those messages can be distracting and discouraging.

There are some people who are disgruntle bc they like the way the center was run 20 years ago and they can bring everyone down.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide clear direction for the future and remember that we are here because we want to work on tech that matters.

When you know something, share it with us so we can help.

Nip disgruntled employees in the bud by holding them accountable for their negativity.

"Hope for the Future"

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Strong cross-disciplinary research expertise.
    Collaborative, teaming environment.
    Proud culture of innovation and expectation that we can change the world.

Cons

Recent churn detracts from creativity and invention.
    Lack of research experience at senior executive level.
    Some infrastructure investment needed.
    Non-research related expense / overhead rate too high

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to spend more time understanding the full depth and breadth of researcher expertise within the organization. Too much emphasis placed on the talkers and not enough on the doers.

9. "Good place to do research."

Pros

Cutting edge research, great work life balance, flexibility.

Cons

Upper management is bloated and dont know how to run a research center.

Advice to Management

Hire upper management who know the nuances of running a research center.

"Artificial Deadlines and Lack of Vision"

Current Employee - Project Leader in Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules and working with other smart people on the IC level

Cons

No vision right now except path to be self funded...upper leadership has limited experience in R&D, culture of setting artificial deadlines by senior leadership (by track season!) vs. technically vetted deadlines, organizational chaos with duplication of skills across orgs, non-technical leaders leading some of these orgs

Advice to Management

Set a vision and reset upper leadership. Lots of “leaders”... but not clear what their value-add is to GE. Replace CTO with someone that understands technology, what it takes to develop technology, and can set a real vision.