GE Global Research Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
GE Global Research CTO Victor Abate
Victor Abate

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Cutting edge research, great work life balance, flexibility" (in 37 reviews)

• "The work environment is pretty nice" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is bloated and dont know how to run a research center" (in 12 reviews)

• "The bigger question is does GE have an appetite for a centralized R&D center anymore" (in 8 reviews)

"Inspiring, empowering work environment"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work with innovative, smart people that are passionate about what they do and in making a difference; flexible work environment that allows you balance work and family needs; empowers employees to define their role and propose projects to work on.

Cons

it's been a tough time for the company, but hoping the changes made at Research and the work being done will help.

Advice to Management

Continue the open dialogue with employees. Although there has been many changes, we're starting to really see momentum our technology programs. The recent launch of the GE Reservoir Energy storage platform is a great example.

"Tech Leader"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful technology depth, fantastic people and teaming, solid infrastructure and testing, rich legacy. Good career opps at GRC and in business. Great leadership and technical training. Other perks - gym (free if 75+ workouts/year), subsidized cafeteria, diversity groups, Toastmasters, sports leagues, Whitney club, bank, medical services, hair cuts, car services, etc.

Cons

Financials driving research direction; has resulted in strategic missteps, including 2017 layoffs of personnel now needed to execute on strategy. Facilities service org without accountability & beholden to union.

Advice to Management

Boldly commit to strategy, make it operational and execute. Be vulnerable and humble. Admit mistakes. Listen to those devoted to turnaround and loyal to GE and GRC. Empower them.

"Love what I do everyday and the impact it has on our company and the world"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazingly talented group of professionals who dream about the possibility of a better world and then proceed to invent it. I am blown away continually by the work going on across the research center that will improve the lives of people around the world.

One of the things I love most about my job at the research center is being able to see across all the GE businesses and understand what we are doing in the aviation, energy, and healthcare ecosystems we serve. You get a broad view of GE and can gain experience quickly working with multiple GE businesses.

Some additional pros of working at GE Global Research: flexible schedules, ability to shape/create the future of GE, great people.

Cons

GE is transforming as a company and GE Global Research has to do the same. That comes with uncertainty and challenges that we have to work through, but it also creates opportunities to contemporize and reinvent GE Global Research. I feel we are on the right path, but there is more work to do before we have fully redefined how we work as a research organization. The upside is that there is no shortage of great and inspiring work to do.

"Excited about where we are headed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While GE has been going through tough times and lots of negative noise in the news, at the research center we have started to talk about our path forward and I'm excited about it. It's been a rough couple of years, but I feel like most of that is behind us.

Flexible work arrangements and summer hours

Working on things that matter to the world

Cons

There is alot of noise about GE and the stock is very low. Those messages can be distracting and discouraging.

There are some people who are disgruntle bc they like the way the center was run 20 years ago and they can bring everyone down.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide clear direction for the future and remember that we are here because we want to work on tech that matters.

When you know something, share it with us so we can help.

Nip disgruntled employees in the bud by holding them accountable for their negativity.

5. "Hope for the Future"

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work life balance.
    Strong cross-disciplinary research expertise.
    Collaborative, teaming environment.
    Proud culture of innovation and expectation that we can change the world.

Cons

Recent churn detracts from creativity and invention.
    Lack of research experience at senior executive level.
    Some infrastructure investment needed.
    Non-research related expense / overhead rate too high

Advice to Management

Senior leadership needs to spend more time understanding the full depth and breadth of researcher expertise within the organization. Too much emphasis placed on the talkers and not enough on the doers.

6. "Good place to do research."

Pros

Cutting edge research, great work life balance, flexibility.

Cons

Upper management is bloated and dont know how to run a research center.

Advice to Management

Hire upper management who know the nuances of running a research center.

"Artificial Deadlines and Lack of Vision"

Current Employee - Project Leader in Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules and working with other smart people on the IC level

Cons

No vision right now except path to be self funded...upper leadership has limited experience in R&D, culture of setting artificial deadlines by senior leadership (by track season!) vs. technically vetted deadlines, organizational chaos with duplication of skills across orgs, non-technical leaders leading some of these orgs

Advice to Management

Set a vision and reset upper leadership. Lots of “leaders”... but not clear what their value-add is to GE. Replace CTO with someone that understands technology, what it takes to develop technology, and can set a real vision.

8. "Uncertainty"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time

Pros

Some interesting and challenging work

Cons

No continuity of projects. Management is clueless

"Let’s make GE great again!"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Niskayuna, NY
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Niskayuna, NY

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great minds centrally located in one location.
    Great walking campus and deer sanctuary.
    Flexible work condition - when the unexpected occurs.

Cons

Lack of Diversity with Upper Management (less than 5% of African American women or Latino).
    A lot of buzz words and lack of focus and direction.
    Permissive Time is NOT for all!
    Opportunities are very limited and not always posted to the public.
    CEO is rarely seen or socializing with employees.
    Union staff (guys that have been here for over 10 years) knows how to clog the workflow.
    Cafeteria food options and quality of coffee is taking a nose dive.
    Middle Management on a power trip when it comes to opportunities and above & beyonds.

Advice to Management

Take a deeper look at the inside workings of GE and ask yourself, is this acceptable? If someone isn’t doing their job, let them go! Promote more female Chiefs! Make unlimited vacation time available for all Full Time employees. Start recognizing that the loyal hard working employees have a breaking point and you are starting to play in the red zone.

"Moving in the right direction"

I have been working at GE Global Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really smart AND nice colleagues. Opportunities to work on wide range of problems and solutions for GE businesses and external collaborators. Biweekly slidos have created more open atmosphere. Very good work life balance.

Cons

Changes over last year have created a lot of churn and trust has been low.

Advice to Management

We are all on one team, trust your employees. Keep the open dialogue, we all want GE to win.

GE Global Research Response

Apr 27, 2018

Thank you for your feedback, glad to hear the slidos have created a more open atmosphere . We are constantly looking for ways to improve and enhance the culture an appreciate the feedback.