GE Healthcare Design Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

GE Healthcare Design Engineer Reviews

Updated May 21, 2019

3.6
GE Healthcare President and CEO Kieran Murphy (no image)
Kieran Murphy
0 Rating
  1. "awsome"

Current Contractor - Design Engineer II in Westborough, MA

I have been working at GE Healthcare for more than a year

Pros

no stress, flexible timings, lovely work to my passion, friendly staff, they dont want to dump lot of work on you.

Cons

none. no need to give cons here. becoz they take feedback from employes and try to satisfy them. so you can ask them rather posting here

Advice to Management

none

GE Healthcare2017-07-03
  2. "GE Healthcare"

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Columbia, SC

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture is good in general, everyone is trying to do good job, have many talented people, there is a good cause for doing the job

Cons

Managers are not chanllenegd for doing bad job, orgnjzation structure is too complex, lack of opportunity for promotion, low efficiency

Advice to Management

Respect employees and realize often you are the problem!

GE Healthcare2017-11-19

"Lead Service Integrator"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance, resourceful company

Cons

beaurocracy, slow processes, poor talent identification

GE Healthcare2016-03-29

"engineer"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You can learn a lot about processes and systematic approach to doing stuff. If you are valued, opportunities exist for continuing education.

Cons

This is my opinion, others may think and feel differently and so what I am writing here may or may not be true for all. Excessive stress and pressure. Leaders and managers are mostly concerned with making themselves look good and if you are meeting your goals and numbers you are hot otherwise not. Highly bureaucratic. Executive management are so arrogant and behave as though they are the know-all and end-all. There is collaboration without camaraderie as if all the employees are programmed robots whose only goal in life is to perform the job at hand and nothing else matters. There is much more to life than just working 15 hours a day so you can keep your job. There are benefits such as a gym but just no time to use it. If you fall sick do not be surprised if you manager calls you at home just to find out when you will be back at work. HIghly political environment.

Advice to Management

Again just my opinion expressed here which may or may not be true for all. Think about why so many employees quit voluntarily every year. If you are truly doing a great job as executives why does this happen? Clearly you think you are doing a great job but you are focused on one aspect and not on the employees. Learn to be humble. You yourself could lose your job some day so learn to be emphathetic towards employees.

GE Healthcare2014-04-29
  5. "Mechanical Engineering Internships"

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineer - Design in Madison, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare for less than a year

Pros

The pay is very good with a strong effort to organize free intern events that are a lot of fun. I was able to do real design work and received an incredible amount of support and advice from coworkers.

Cons

My main complaint is that work always moves slowly at GE due to all the necessary approvals. Additionally my experience seemed unique at my location. Most other interns were bored with too little to do and/or the work was very tedious. But I guess someone has to do that work.

Advice to Management

I learned a lot from every project I was involved in. Designs are made better with a group reviewing them. Including interns in more projects will keep them busy, help them learn more and lead to better designs. Last thing, international opportunities would be amazing for students since GE has such an international presence.

GE Healthcare2012-11-10
  6. "Great Technology, but highly political"

Former Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The product technology is unreal. When you stand back and look at the overall system its just amazing what it can do. You get a real good feeling when you see your equipment in a hospital..you feel real proud

Cons

The "Code 4 out the door" mentality regardless of performance is grating.

Advice to Management

Blow up the evaluation procedure...Forced Ranking...as bad as it gets

GE Healthcare2012-10-10

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You learn a lot from the job. The tools are available for you to do your job. Workers are friendly and the job is family friendly

Cons

Upward mobility not clear and the salary was not that good

Advice to Management

Pay according to experience and qualification. Look out for and reward people who are not your go- to people

GE Healthcare2012-09-21

"Fascinating Products to Improve Lives"

Former Employee - Lead Design Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Brilliant engineers, global exposure, leadership training, ability to form a large and effective network, fun celebration events that build a sense of family

Cons

Manage by meetings, always under staffed, short term vision only - very focused on the immediate quarter, very poor program execution, unrealistic scheduling that force teams in to hiding information about realistic progress

Advice to Management

Empower your program team and realistically work with the schedules, staff realistically to provide both time to market and fantastic quality

GE Healthcare2012-08-21

"Good until I got laid off"

Principal Software Design Engineer in Burlington, VT

I have been working at GE Healthcare

Pros

Compensation is high for this area. If you want to work in a very structured environment with heavy process overhead (Lean Sixth Sigma, internal GE program structure), and can land a good job, then this is the place for you.

Cons

It's great if you like the heavy bureaucratic process environment, until the area you work in is targeted by upper management for contraction. Unfortunately with all of the overhead, less time is available for actual innovation. That's what is killing the product I used to work on.

Advice to Management

GE is full of secrets and therefore the rumor mill runs wild. Be more transparent and realize that in healthcare systems, the assets you have are in people's heads. When you lay them off, it's gone and you can't always get it back.

GE Healthcare2011-03-29

"Good Company, great techincal people, terrible management"

Design Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare

Pros

-Challenging work -Excellent co-workers -Some of the best technical talent in the world

Cons

-WAY to much bureaucracy -Lots of talk about quality but it's all just talk -Upper management only focuses on short term gains -Schedule is king, over EVERYTHING

Advice to Management

Listen to your technical people and the engineers who want to do the right things for the product. Stop rewarding politcial bureaucrats and focus on actual measureable results. Don't believe everything you see just because it's in a slick Power Point presentation.

GE Healthcare2010-06-02