GE Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Kieran Murphy

1,940 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Less work pressure, means better work-life balance (in 159 reviews)

• Lots of flexibility and ability to work from home if needed (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not so good (in 130 reviews)

• Working at such a large company means you must take individual ownership for your own growth (in 41 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Clinical Education Specialist in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Clinical Education Specialist in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee friendly company. Great benefits. Good salary. Travel weekly. Co workers are great and management always there for support. Enjoy going to work.

Cons

Have been told management changes up frequently, though the 2 different ones I work/worked under have been good. Otherwise I cant think of any cons to report. Must like to travel because you do every week.

Advice to Management

None

2. "GE Healthcare"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Permissive Time Off
    Matching 401K
    Paid Company Cell Phone
    Flexible Work From Home (or wherever)
    Great Senior Leadership
    Fantastic Products that Save Live Everyday

Cons

Talent Harvest & Management - lack of talent retention plans. There are leadership programs but if what you want to do and where you are in life is today doesn't fit that mold, there isn't much else that prepares you for what you want to do next. There are tons of training options and of course the infamous Crotonville, but the issue there is there isn't much guidance on what training is suitable for your career goals, and the training style is very 1970s...

Not Nimble - it's very hard to get much done because of the internal silos

Employee Talent - thought I would be working with the cream of the crop when I started, and it didn't take much to find out approximately 30% of employees are waste, about 40% are mediocre, 20% are people you want to work with and only 10% are people you want to work for

Advice to Management

Start acting like a start up today... immediately implement a talent retention program and do everything you can to hang onto your talented people. If they walk out the door, you are losing not only good people but very likely years of GE and Healthcare knowledge that's walking out the door. Opportunity cost of this is immeasurable...

3. "Mechanical Engineering Co-op"

Pros

Good company atmosphere and many opportunities for professional development.

Cons

Upper management is not always willing to invest in proper resources

4. "Decent"

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Constant change, for those that thrive on change.

Cons

Too compartmentalized between teams and departments, can feel like lots of little mom and pop shops under one roof.

Advice to Management

Encourage teams - not pillars. Lots of revenue loss when one team doesn't know what the other does and repeats something already available or already accomplished.

5. "Lead Systems Designer"

Former Employee - Lead Systems Designer in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Lead Systems Designer in Waukesha, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Privileged to work with some really smart people always learning. Great benefits - Healthcare, compensation and advancement opportunities.

Cons

Every 6-9 months departments are reorganized, restructured, consolidated, moved, etc. GE Retirement Pension no longer an option with new employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees you've hired smart leaders... let them lead.

6. "Good company"

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

None cons that I know

Advice to Management

Good

7. "FMP"

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Excellent Training Program and exit opportunities within the company

Cons

Easy to get lost or become lifer

8. "GEHC"

Current Employee - Post Market Product Surveillance Specialist in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Post Market Product Surveillance Specialist in Laurel, MD

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a wide reach

Cons

Relationships between departments are strained

Advice to Management

Be better at linking priorities between departments

9. "Talented and dedicated Biomeds; incompetent middle managers."

Former Employee - Biomedical Equipment Technician II
    Former Employee - Biomedical Equipment Technician II

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started with GE over 4 years ago, they had many Biomedical Equipment Technician II's and III's who were eager to share their knowledge and skills with the Biomed I's and Interns and externs.

Cons

Today, When a Biomed II or III leaves for another job offering 10-20K more, gets a promotion or retires, they are often (well over 50 percent of the time in the 4 plus years I was there)replaced by an intern with absolutely zero experience as a Biomedical Equipment Technician.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying only about the sacred metrics, pull your head out of the sand and look around. Corners are being cut left and right so sites can 'make the numbers' and people can keep their jobs. Just this year I saw several closed out (completed)Annual Preventive Maintenance Inspection Records for surgical tables in the operating rooms where an intern had put a mere 15 minutes of time on each inspection ticket, but didn't do an electrical safety test for power cord ground integrity or chassis leakage on it. And a proper Preventive Maintenance Inspection on a surgical table takes a minimum of 45 minutes to an hour. All the places where readings were supposed to be annotated were marked N/A. When I brought this to the attention of the Senior Biomed at the facility, I was told that a visiting Site Leader (one of Management's so called 'Rock Star's) had instructed the intern to get the surgery table PMs closed out ASAP and to skip the OEM recommended once a year electrical safety test. So a whole 10 minutes of time is saved per inspection to cut corners on a piece of equipment that several patients surgeries are performed on EVERY DAY! That didn't seem real smart to me, which I expressed more than once. I was advised to let it go, then a little over a month later I was let go. I had been placed on probation for 'low productivity' a few weeks before, and told I needed to complete at least 17 Preventive Maintenance Inspections per day on top of covering the surgery department and responding to the usual calls for service on various equipment. When I was unable to do those 17 PMs in an 8 hour day, HR offered me 4 weeks pay to quit, saying perhaps the pace was too fast for me. (An old bugger in his 50's) I refused to quit so the following week I was shown the door. Although being unemployed sucks, it's a stress relief knowing I won't be expected to be a party to cutting corners and crossing fingers to make the sacred numbers with a few totally stressed out dedicated, experienced technicians and a whole pile of young, intelligent but woefully inexperienced interns. But those interns cost a LOT less per year vs bona fide Biomedical Equipment Technicians. Now bear in mind I'm just engaging in speculation here, but I'm guessing the managers bonus amount is tied to how 'lean' they operate.

10. "Salary is low but in range"

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Solid company to work. Great career longevity

Cons

Need to communicate more with field engineers

Showing 1,940 of 2,157 reviews