GE Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

1,979 reviews

Full-timePart-time

1,979 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work culture and work life balance (in 166 reviews)

• Lots of flexibility and ability to work from home if needed (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not so good (in 131 reviews)

• Working at such a large company means you must take individual ownership for your own growth (in 41 reviews)

1. "GEHC"

Current Employee - Post Market Product Surveillance Specialist in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Post Market Product Surveillance Specialist in Laurel, MD

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a wide reach

Cons

Relationships between departments are strained

Advice to Management

Be better at linking priorities between departments

2. "FMP"

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Excellent Training Program and exit opportunities within the company

Cons

Easy to get lost or become lifer

3. "Salary is low but in range"

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Solid company to work. Great career longevity

Cons

Need to communicate more with field engineers

4. "Talented and dedicated Biomeds; incompetent middle managers."

Former Employee - Biomedical Equipment Technician II
    Former Employee - Biomedical Equipment Technician II

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started with GE over 4 years ago, they had many Biomedical Equipment Technician II's and III's who were eager to share their knowledge and skills with the Biomed I's and Interns and externs.

Cons

Today, When a Biomed II or III leaves for another job offering 10-20K more, gets a promotion or retires, they are often (well over 50 percent of the time in the 4 plus years I was there)replaced by an intern with absolutely zero experience as a Biomedical Equipment Technician.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying only about the sacred metrics, pull your head out of the sand and look around. Corners are being cut left and right so sites can 'make the numbers' and people can keep their jobs. Just this year I saw several closed out (completed)Annual Preventive Maintenance Inspection Records for surgical tables in the operating rooms where an intern had put a mere 15 minutes of time on each inspection ticket, but didn't do an electrical safety test for power cord ground integrity or chassis leakage on it. And a proper Preventive Maintenance Inspection on a surgical table takes a minimum of 45 minutes to an hour. All the places where readings were supposed to be annotated were marked N/A. When I brought this to the attention of the Senior Biomed at the facility, I was told that a visiting Site Leader (one of Management's so called 'Rock Star's) had instructed the intern to get the surgery table PMs closed out ASAP and to skip the OEM recommended once a year electrical safety test. So a whole 10 minutes of time is saved per inspection to cut corners on a piece of equipment that several patients surgeries are performed on EVERY DAY! That didn't seem real smart to me, which I expressed more than once. I was advised to let it go, then a little over a month later I was let go. I had been placed on probation for 'low productivity' a few weeks before, and told I needed to complete at least 17 Preventive Maintenance Inspections per day on top of covering the surgery department and responding to the usual calls for service on various equipment. When I was unable to do those 17 PMs in an 8 hour day, HR offered me 4 weeks pay to quit, saying perhaps the pace was too fast for me. (An old bugger in his 50's) I refused to quit so the following week I was shown the door. Although being unemployed sucks, it's a stress relief knowing I won't be expected to be a party to cutting corners and crossing fingers to make the sacred numbers with a few totally stressed out dedicated, experienced technicians and a whole pile of young, intelligent but woefully inexperienced interns. But those interns cost a LOT less per year vs bona fide Biomedical Equipment Technicians. Now bear in mind I'm just engaging in speculation here, but I'm guessing the managers bonus amount is tied to how 'lean' they operate.

5. "Go in, but don't stay..."

Former Employee - Senior QA Manager in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Senior QA Manager in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to grow, train and diversify, Huge company with different businesses. Good benefits. I had great managers all along.

Cons

Too many leaders, unhealthy professional competition levels, very political culture.

Advice to Management

Not everyone needs to be, wants to be, or is a leader, stop pushing the grow and lead juice and promote a healthy environment for doers. Please stop using the words "transparency" and "clarity" when dealing with business info you know can't be shared,

6. "Stay for the green field projects, leave otherwise unless you want to retire here."

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- random activities (science week competition, whole day volunteering, whole day activities on diwali )
    - great learning support (paid education / safari online / conferences)
    - some great coworkers

Cons

- most engineers are too old to know cutting edge tech
    - extremely hard to push for new tech
    - development work: 20% none dev work (testing, docs, meeting) : 80%
    - confusing management structure
    - seniority trumps performance - will not get promote unless you have worked long enough

Advice to Management

- hire outside talent to keep talent pool fresh
    - have business analyst deal with requirements/compliance; let engineer do engineering!
    - simplify management structure

7. "Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Global Product Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Global Product Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will works with lots of talented people. If you are in Product Management, GEHC is adopting is betting on the discipline and product management leaders to drive fast innovation.

Cons

There are concerns about how healthy GE is. The organization is very complex, actually, complicated. Despite drive to adopt fast innovation methods, there is big risk aversion and concepts like "fail fast and learn" are not truly embraced.

8. "Purchasing Assistant"

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and great people to work with.

Cons

You may have to have a flexible schedule

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome

9. "Average company, only real direction in the almighty dollar"

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Stable until the company doesn't make its target profit. Cuts make up the lost revenue.

Cons

Constant cuts in personnel. Departments left way too short handed.

Advice to Management

Stop blowing sunshine when the bad times hit. Just tell it like it is.

10. "Great people and experience but slow moving and few software releases."

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great, smart people to work with. Flexible and Family Oriented.

Cons

Slow moving in releasing software. No real connection for those making the product and the actual customer.

Advice to Management

Smaller Faster Releases Needed! Less big project management and more small iterations on features for existing products.

Showing 1,979 of 2,203 reviews