GE Healthcare Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
GE Healthcare President & CEO John L. Flannery
John L. Flannery

Pros
Cons
  • demanding business needs and need more resources- this gravely impacts work/life balance to meet business needs (in 118 reviews)

• Large company where you may feel like a number (in 36 reviews)

1. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful encouraging management. Interesting and challenging work. Friendly people to work with.

Cons

All the FDA regulations that you have to understand and work under can be daunting.

"Manufacturing Program Leader"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Program Leader in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Program Leader in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Lean Six Sigma Certification Program

Cons

Needs to Advance Culture and Human Resources

Advice to Management

Know, leverage, and optimize the talent and experience of employees. Value employees above all else. Respect employees investment in their livelihoods and in the responsibility they bear in supporting their families. Understand and respect the maturity continuum from where young people start their careers to when older people end their careers. Try to manage that continuum in a way that naturally fits the progression of age and family. Don't allow the income between the CEO and the least paid in the organization to be so far apart that it becomes an immoral issue that erodes trust and respect.

3. "Great people to work with"

Former Contractor - FDA Validation Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Contractor - FDA Validation Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule with realistic expectations. Great co-workers and supportive management. Above average pay scale. Continued contracts year over year. Casual work environment.

Cons

Contracts limited to one year. Executive team only sees you as a number. Long rearm contract employees are prohibited from company functions and promotional activities.

Advice to Management

if you need a contract employee for more than 3 years, hire someone permanently. Treat contract employees with equal respect.

5. "Direct Hire Internship"

Current Intern - Operations Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Intern - Operations Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at GE Healthcare as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a large corporation with a lot of best practices and benefits for their employees. They are very in tune with work/life balance and they treat their employees well. They are very engineering heavy and filled with intelligent personnel. Also their intern leadership programs seem to be very good at helping young employees work their way up to management.

Cons

Like I said this company is very large and if you don't like feeling like a small cog in the wheel then this may not be for you. This company also favors engineers so if you have a different background you may feel a little left out until you get to a higher level within the company. Also the company being so large makes it difficult to get things going. Their still seems to be a lot of bureaucracy to work through in order to push things through.

Advice to Management

My advice is to find a way to move quicker and to trust employees more so as to smooth out the process of getting software approval and other progress needed.

"Don't take a job at the SLC GE Healthcare"

Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

The benefits were good, and that is really the only thing that was good.

Cons

The SLC site at GE Healthcare has some major problems. Program managers say to people on a regular basis "I don't care if you have to work until midnight, you are going to stay and get it done". Engineers/Operators worked 100 hours/week for weeks on end to try to meet project deadlines. Employees are really stressed out and attack each other in meetings. It is a very negative work environment. Managers walk out great employees after they put in their notice before the two weeks notice is complete, sometimes by surprise. Managers also go after their direct reports in large meetings. When I first started there, I was told that they have "bullies" as their managers. After working there, I would have to agree. The environment at the SLC GE healthcare office is very toxic and stressful. In my opinion, the people that stay feel chained because they don't want to walk away from their pension plan (which is no longer offered), but they aren't happy at their jobs and it shows. The site is still under FDA consent decree, and won't change any of their cumbersome processes until that is lifted. They had voluntary early retirement last fall in 2015, and there is concern of looming layoffs. As soon as people found out I was leaving, others asked me how I found a new job- not a good sign. All in all, I couldn't wait to find another job and leave. I have been so much happier since I left.

7. "Senior Electronic Test Technician / Field Service Technician"

Former Employee - ElectronicTest Tech/Field Service Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great company to work for

Cons

Make sure the local leadership have integrity and practice fairness.

Advice to Management

Ensure jobs created are career opportunity job

8. "Sourcing"

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

If you are willing to move, there are a lot of opportunities within GE.

Cons

The culture is cut throat and everyone is expendable.

Advice to Management

Coach the employees and work with them so they stay. The turnover is expensive and by simply investing in the employees, you'll retain top talent.

9. "Order to Remittance Specialist"

Former Employee - Order to Remittance Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Order to Remittance Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Great place to work. Former supervisors were great to work for. Co-workers were friendly and talented.

Cons

The benefit packages seem to cost more and more each year with higher deductibles and United Healthcare were very slow to pay claims.

Advice to Management

Change the Health care benefit to a different company.

10. "Good Company to work for"

Current Employee - Material Handler in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good insurance, less expensive then most company's looked at. Vacation time prorated from the day you started. Paid sick days, and personal business days. Payed holidays.

Cons

Pay is low because to all the benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep working on people skills

"A respite for awhile but don't stay"

Current Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good. Not a lot of overtime/weekend work, typically M-F 8-5. My immediate manager is good, loyal to both me and the company to provide a balanced approach. Generally I'm left alone to do my job. Plenty of opportunity to move vertically within the company, career growth, due to turnover.

Cons

Upper management is severely vision limited and can't see beyond their immediate goals. The job is not challenging at all. Very little engineering and WAY too much QA paperwork/process. Most of the creative development is being transferred to China/India operations, and we're expected to support developing their abilities. Managers don't recognize abilities, provide challenges or provide continued training. There's very little technical growth opportunities, practically no real continuing education opportunities. The consent decree has produced a culture of overbearing innovation-stifling caution. Not for the creative types. Upper level engineering management apparently thinks there is no longer the expertise required to tackle the tough jobs locally. A good way to lose your technical relevance.

Advice to Management

Look past the immediate product to see what's needed next. The current marketing group has no clue and needs to put more effort into market research based on up-to-date technology rather than existing functionality. Take a little risk because taking no risk is actually a major risk. Trust in your engineers abilities to solve tough problems. Invest in your technical resources locally and stop trying to outsource jobs where the abilities are limited at best. Definitely don't expect your local talent to train outsourced talent. A quality product is not produced by producing a mountain of QA paperwork. Let the teams spend more time on actual development within NPI programs.

Showing 31 of 1,914 reviews