GE Healthcare Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT | Glassdoor

3.4
Kieran Murphy
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent culture and work life balance (in 171 reviews)

• Lots of flexibility and ability to work from home if needed (in 66 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance needs balance (in 134 reviews)

• Working at such a large company means you must take individual ownership for your own growth (in 42 reviews)

1. "GE Healthcae"

Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Facilities Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Greta products that truly help peoples lives

Cons

New hyper focus on wall street results over company/product improvement

"Good pay, but working environment is a pressure cooker!"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are many interesting projects to keep you busy. Several different engineering disciplines can be involved, helping employees gain a broad range of experience. The Company matches 50% of your 401k contributions up to the first 7% of pay, so theoretically, it can contribute up to 3.5% of your salary. The company does sponsor some extra-curricular activities, including a family day at Lagoon (a local amusement park). In past years, the entrance fee was subsidized by the company for the entire family, including free parking and a meal, In the last few years, however, the subsidy has been progressively reduced to where now only 3 people are paid for, including meals, and a parking pass is not included.

Cons

GE seems to be held up in the eyes of the world as some kind of gold standard, however, it is something of a mystery to me why this is the case. The company is definitely no Amazon or Google. Over the course of my employment, I've seen several CEO's come and go, and they usually bring their buddies with them. In other words, it is common for several heads to roll when senior management changes. GE pays lip service to "Work / Life Balance", but the reality is, schedules are short and resources (people to get the job done) inadequate. As a result, employees can expect to put in plenty of unpaid overtime. No pensions for new employees. This is fairly common these days, however, and is not limited to GE. Depending on the project, it is common to get texts from senior management at all hours of the evening and weekends, with status or a reply expected.

Advice to Management

You may be working 24/7, but don't expect your employees to do the same. We have families and lives outside of work! Moving up the corporate ladder is not the necessarily the highest expression of life for everyone!

"Manufacturing Program Leader"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Program Leader in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Program Leader in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great Lean Six Sigma Certification Program

Cons

Needs to Advance Culture and Human Resources

Advice to Management

Know, leverage, and optimize the talent and experience of employees. Value employees above all else. Respect employees investment in their livelihoods and in the responsibility they bear in supporting their families. Understand and respect the maturity continuum from where young people start their careers to when older people end their careers. Try to manage that continuum in a way that naturally fits the progression of age and family. Don't allow the income between the CEO and the least paid in the organization to be so far apart that it becomes an immoral issue that erodes trust and respect.

4. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful encouraging management. Interesting and challenging work. Friendly people to work with.

Cons

All the FDA regulations that you have to understand and work under can be daunting.

5. "Great people to work with"

Former Contractor - FDA Validation Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Contractor - FDA Validation Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule with realistic expectations. Great co-workers and supportive management. Above average pay scale. Continued contracts year over year. Casual work environment.

Cons

Contracts limited to one year. Executive team only sees you as a number. Long rearm contract employees are prohibited from company functions and promotional activities.

Advice to Management

if you need a contract employee for more than 3 years, hire someone permanently. Treat contract employees with equal respect.

6. "Direct Hire Internship"

Current Intern - Operations Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Intern - Operations Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at GE Healthcare as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a large corporation with a lot of best practices and benefits for their employees. They are very in tune with work/life balance and they treat their employees well. They are very engineering heavy and filled with intelligent personnel. Also their intern leadership programs seem to be very good at helping young employees work their way up to management.

Cons

Like I said this company is very large and if you don't like feeling like a small cog in the wheel then this may not be for you. This company also favors engineers so if you have a different background you may feel a little left out until you get to a higher level within the company. Also the company being so large makes it difficult to get things going. Their still seems to be a lot of bureaucracy to work through in order to push things through.

Advice to Management

My advice is to find a way to move quicker and to trust employees more so as to smooth out the process of getting software approval and other progress needed.

7. "Good for interns"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Murray, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Murray, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare (Less than a year)

Pros

You will get good reference for the future job search.

Cons

I did not see any cons.

"Don't take a job at the SLC GE Healthcare"

Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

The benefits were good, and that is really the only thing that was good.

Cons

The SLC site at GE Healthcare has some major problems. Program managers say to people on a regular basis "I don't care if you have to work until midnight, you are going to stay and get it done". Engineers/Operators worked 100 hours/week for weeks on end to try to meet project deadlines. Employees are really stressed out and attack each other in meetings. It is a very negative work environment. Managers walk out great employees after they put in their notice before the two weeks notice is complete, sometimes by surprise. Managers also go after their direct reports in large meetings. When I first started there, I was told that they have "bullies" as their managers. After working there, I would have to agree. The environment at the SLC GE healthcare office is very toxic and stressful. In my opinion, the people that stay feel chained because they don't want to walk away from their pension plan (which is no longer offered), but they aren't happy at their jobs and it shows. The site is still under FDA consent decree, and won't change any of their cumbersome processes until that is lifted. They had voluntary early retirement last fall in 2015, and there is concern of looming layoffs. As soon as people found out I was leaving, others asked me how I found a new job- not a good sign. All in all, I couldn't wait to find another job and leave. I have been so much happier since I left.

9. "Senior Electronic Test Technician / Field Service Technician"

Former Employee - ElectronicTest Tech/Field Service Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A great company to work for

Cons

Make sure the local leadership have integrity and practice fairness.

Advice to Management

Ensure jobs created are career opportunity job

10. "Sourcing"

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

If you are willing to move, there are a lot of opportunities within GE.

Cons

The culture is cut throat and everyone is expendable.

Advice to Management

Coach the employees and work with them so they stay. The turnover is expensive and by simply investing in the employees, you'll retain top talent.

Showing 37 of 2,250 reviews