GE Reviews | Glassdoor

GE CEO and Chairman John L. Flannery
John L. Flannery

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Could work on emphasizing work-life balance more by encouraging use of vacation time (in 299 reviews)

• Long hours lead to a bad work-life balance (in 156 reviews)

"Hallucination at work"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at GE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and relaxed environment

Cons

Forced to twist the facts to make it appear that we were doing progress on our analysis so the upper management was happy

Advice to Management

Remove the chief engineer and find someone who knows the the fundamentals of engineering instead of the art of the deal.

2. "You'll be a number."

Current Employee - Lead Sales and Proposal Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Sales and Proposal Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I have been working at GE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for growth, well known company, good pay, mediocre benefits. Of you love hiding in a company so larger they can't find you, this is the place.

Cons

300,000+ employees stretch across the globe, internal structure so complicated the company itself has no idea who they are. Politics, beauracy, confusion.

Advice to Management

Simplify simplify simplify. Treat employees as people. Figure out your business model, prior to making huge moves.

"Old is New Again"

Current Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at GE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If lucky enough to get in before the benefit was stopped being offered - pension benefits. Most benefits same as anywhere else. Nothing unique.

Cons

The company is targeting layoffs at those with 15+ years of service - save salary and accumulated benefits. Medical cost is extremely high. Unlimited vacation - hard to get 3 weeks off and unlimited means no vacation payout under layoff benefits. Work environment has been in turmoil for at least 4-5 years with management scrambling to save their own jobs by bad mouthing or tripping up other departments. Work production slow due to constant layoff fear. It's very disappointing to see a once successful company fall so far.

Advice to Management

Cutting benefits or senior employees is not always the answer as the hubs established are lacking knowledgeable people to guide those that are being hired right out of school or have little work experience. Managers need to play nice in the sandbox to forge ahead. Stop the layoff madness and change the constant fear and dread looming around this - do this and employees will start to flourish with creative solutions and new customer ideas - the taking a chance on proposing new solutions/ideas might actually start again.

4. "No Job Security at GE"

Current Employee - Engineer in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Erie, PA

I have been working at GE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Constant layoffs and plant closures. No position is secure.

"Going south very fast"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at GE full-time

Pros

Overall benefits are good, although the health insurance premium and deductibles is terrible and salaries are below average.

Cons

Lots of uncertainty.... Massive layoffs in the process of saving $2B cost in two years. That's huge number. Recent aquisations has been terrible and US employees suffered the most.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at bottom-line all the time. Care for employees.. they are human too.

6. "Where do I start?"

Former Contractor - Contractor in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at GE as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Watching wild turkeys out cafeteria window.

Cons

- As a contractor, I was given someone's borrowed laptop. Every time I had to go to the restroom, I had to call India to get back on the computer because it would lock me out.
    - Manager was a complete jerk.
    - When I (thankfully) got pulled off the contract, I was accused of stealing the laptop that I put under the admin's desk because they gave me no other option. It was a good thing I left a post-it note telling her it was there. Otherwise, it was my word against theirs.

Advice to Management

Treat your contractors like people. Never been so glad to leave a job in my life.

"Worst company in the world to work for!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at GE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was good but money isn't everything! Enjoyed the work but not the company I worked for! I would not recommend going to work for this company to anyone!

Cons

Worst run company I have ever seen. Very unethical from the top down. Cut throat management, they treat you like crap and believe me, you are only a clock number to them! If this company did not have such deep pockets and money to just throw away, they would have been out of business a long time ago! The best decision I ever made was to walk away for less money and get away from the toxic environment of GE!

Advice to Management

Learn how to be ethical and have some integrity! Treat people the way you would want to be treated. You should all go back to school and take a business ethics and management/leadership class! GE is the example of what NOT to be in the business world!

"Senior Program Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at GE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, knowledgeable staff. education opportunities

Cons

Instability, constant threats of layoffs. Terrible health care plan

Advice to Management

Constant miscommunication from the top executives to the lowest on the scale. Constant instability and layoff threats crest a hostile environment .

9. "I'm sorry but I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy!"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager

I worked at GE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The cons are so dramatic it is very difficult to think of 1 Pro!

Cons

Big company politics at its finest. If you are the type of person who find it difficult to succeed on your own merits and are jealous of those who are independant, sucessful and knowlegeble and thus feel it necessary to stab those individuals in their backs while fake smiling to their faces. If you are a very good lier and move up the chain by lying and throwing your coworkers under the bus and move up pointing fingers and being the lesser of the evils. Trying to make yourself look better by lying about others because you are lacking, then GE is the place for you! Luckily for you managers will listen to you! Most talented employees wont even entertain this nonsense.

Advice to Management

#1 Fire yourself to save the company
    #2 Complete culture overhaul get rid of dead weight
    I am amazed this company can continue like this...

10. "Used to be good, but activist investors are ruining it for the employees"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at GE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated to integrity. Interesting work. Respectable company with good management. I love GE, I love what we do, and I love what the company stands for. We're not afraid to make bold moves, and despite a heavy burden of bureaucracy, we do big, important, world-changing things. We are transforming factories and machines for the digital era by instrumenting them with sensors, connecting them to a homegrown cloud platform, and helping our partners to build transformative apps to improve their businesses based on analysis of the data ... and if that by itself weren't enough, we make trains, planes, and power plants while were at it. So when I write this review, know that it's with a heavy heart - I always have, and still do LOVE GE, what we do, and what the company stands for, and I will do everything in my power to make sure that GE returns to not only a company that does great things, but also great place to be while getting them done.

Cons

Our cash flow on industrial operations was bad last quarter. Lay people off, oust the CEO, set aggressive targets tied to exec bonuses bad. This in itself isn't a con - businesses have cycles, industry waxes and wanes, and along the way there will be hirings and firings, business class and coach, fat raises and thin. We all understand this, and I don't begrudge the company letting people go of people to make ends meet. We all make cutbacks in our lives when times are hard, the government should do it, and corporations -have- to do it. I don't even begrudge the board the executive bonus increases and decreases that are tied to the 2017 and 2018 1B savings targets -- targets that big have to be driven from the top down, hard decisions need to be made, and if the right decisions are made intelligently, they've earned their bonuses. In fact, were I in Jeff Immelt's shoes with an activist investor breathing down my neck demanding my job, I'd make many of the same moves he's making. So why the 1 star review, when I love the company, understand the cuts, and agree that we need to get back to positive cashflow?

The cut the already miserly 'above and beyond' bonus program. While this in itself isn't a big deal, it signals to me that the management layers have given up on morale, engagement, and everything that goes with it. The bang-for-buck of employee activities like affinity groups (which have also had their funding cut), holiday parties, and 'thank-you' bonus programs is unmatched, and to see these things go means that not only have they made cuts with heavy hearts, they've moved to a point where they just don't care about morale among the rank-and-file anymore. For this reason, I can only recommend that you stay away until better times return.

Showing 281 of 6,716 reviews