Cover image for GEA Consulting Engineers

69% Recommend to a Friend
100% Approve of CEO

Found 19 of over 19 reviews

3.7
GEA Consulting Engineers Managing Partner David Glickman (no image)
David Glickman
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Advance your career @ GEA

Nov 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with GEA for almost a decade. Started at the very bottom and have worked my way up over the years. There are opportunities to learn and grow in all areas. Put in the work and it will be recognized. What I really love is the laidback, non "corporate"- like environment. There is a lot of flexibility (remote work, shorter workday on Fridays) which is also a plus. All employees are friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say at this time. Any former "cons" have been worked on and corrected.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Pleasant Experience

Sep 7, 2022 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

From my experience, it is a very good place to start your career. Since it is a smaller firm, it has a more personal feel. It is definitely far from a corporate environment which brings more relaxed atmosphere and flexibility including summer Fridays as well as remote work. It doesn't have that typical approach that you need to be there at 8:00 am on the dot. You can start at 8:10 am, do your work and go home. They have a lot of different projects and some of them are really nice (West Village or 5th Ave in Midtown). I encountered several people who have been working there for 5 years or longer which is a big plus. People are friendly and professional w/o any big egos. The management also seems to be inclusive in terms of hiring people from different backgrounds. As far as the compensation and being busy go, it is typical for the industry which belongs to neither pros nor cons here.

Cons

It really depends. Smaller firm might not be everyone's cup of tea and some people could seek the opposite (more uptight and cut-throat culture). The office is also located on 8th Ave in a very busy area.

3. Join the GEA Consulting Engineers team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

A great place to grow.

Sep 7, 2022 - HR Assistant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the company for 9 years now and can say that I feel at home here. The work I have been doing has been impactful in growing and diversifying our project scope which is helping to grow the firm. We, like all companies had a hard time navigating the pandemic, but the one thing that never wavered was their committment to the staff. Beyond just providing necessary safety measures, we were able to switch to a hybrid work environment and were even given a suprise raise to offset the inflation we're facing now. That is true committment from an employer!

Cons

Could use some more recreational activities in addition to the other great benefits.

Continue reading
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee

Would not recommend. All negative reviews are consistent and accurate.

Feb 9, 2021 - Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some good people in this firm. Some good engineers to learn from. That is the only pro about this company.

Cons

Every negative review below this is accurate and notice how they are consistent. No loyalty except only if you are part of the "clique". Toxic work environment because there is a "clique". They seem to get all the favoritism making others feel left out and uncomfortable. Regardless of how long you have been employed in this company, you are expendable and just a number to them. Did other reviewers mention this company is really cheap? Because it is. Benefits have gotten worst throughout the years, pay raises are non-existent even when you work hard and stay long hours for them all year long to meet their unrealistic deadlines. Your hard work does not pay off and yet they MICROMANAGE the heck out of you. Office space is old, unfinished, embarrassing, sad, depressing, (whatever you want to call it). And they have been saying they were going to renovate the office since I first started years ago. I also want to point out that the positive reviews are suspiciously fake. All done by the people in the "clique" to raise their score. (all reviews are within the same time frame). Only take this job if it is your last resort and willing to take it.

Continue reading
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Jun 1, 2021 - Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people. Very helpful. Good team work

Cons

Office needs to be remodeled

7. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Disloyalty to their long-term employees

Jan 12, 2021 - Engineer in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the co-workers were helpful and empathic with one another

Cons

*Tow bonuses *There was barely any room to learn and grow from the company *If you were not part of their "elite" group, you would often encounter hardships *No business ethics. You are subject to removal at any time, no company loyalty at all. Regardless of tenure *The office space itself is unfinished and embarrassing *Benefits over the years have progressively gotten worse *No 401k match

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Former Employee

Cool company, but...

Dec 2, 2020 - Electrical Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great group of people, knowledgeable engineers that are willing to help all the time. Good salary

Cons

Not the best insurance package, bonuses are low, no overtime paid

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good company with good projects

Nov 10, 2020 - Junior Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company has some good projects so that one can gain experience and the senior engineers are qualified and capable.

Cons

Salary is not the best for Junior engineers

10. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Warm Place to Work

Mar 25, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working at GEA has been a great professional experience for me. The best part about this company are the three partners who genuinely care about all of their workers. As long as you are willing to take the initiative, all three of the partners are willing to sit down with you and go over any engineering related question you may have. They all have a great deal of expertise and are always happy to help their employees learn and grow. Their door is always open. At this company there is a place for all types of workers. If you are an enterprising individual and work hard, then upper management will recognize that and make sure that you receive the guidance and projects you need to advance. On the other hand, if you are not one to frequently go above and beyond, there will still be a place for you here to complete your work without pressure from upper management to continuously produce more than you are reasonably capable of. This company also has a great culture where management has tactfully created a professional environment that at the same time is reasonably causal and never feels too corporate. Everyone in the office gets along, socializes, and is made to feel comfortable.

Cons

One of few real cons about working here is the occasional heavy workloads. Although this is partly the nature of the industry, there are times when you will have to stay after hours in order to meet deadlines, even with good time management.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

A Working Family to Grow With!

Apr 16, 2018 - Energy Analyst in Buenos Aires
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had left the company in November due to some family health issues. It was not a decision I wanted to make, but the situation warranted the move. During the time that I was severed from the company, my partner had passed and the response of GEA, my then former company, was something that brought me to tears. Though I was no longer an employee, they went above and beyond any obligation to help me, a former employee and made me truly feel like a part of the family. This is not something that you typically expect from a company to do for someone who is not on the current staff. They reminded me that I was a permanent part of the GEA Family. It was that sentiment that made me want to come back to the firm, the place where I belong, and was received with open arms, and brought to new challenges to help further my career to an even more all-encompassing experience within the industry. I highly recommend this company to anyone who is looking for the experience of being part of a working family and all the rewards that come with loyalty.

Cons

You do have to be able to hit the ground running, but there are resources to help you keep the pace if needed.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 19 Reviews