GEI Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
GEI Consultants President Ray Hart
Ray Hart

1. "Great place for growth!"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Denver, CO

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have many opportunities for growth and learning. They really foster a place for your to explore the field, and education is very important to them. They really care a lot about their employees.

Cons

Their quick growth has at times lead to many different ways of doing things. The onboarding process could use a little firmer explanation of how GEI does things to keep from rouge operators.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Even as GEI grows, it is great to know that to the CEO and CFO, all employees matter.

2. "Great place to start out, pay below average"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back work environment, opportunities to learn, decent benefits

Cons

Promotions are not based on merit, but who you know/work for, pay is below average for engineers

Advice to Management

Make promotions based on merit, increase pay for engineers

GEI Consultants Response

Dec 16, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoy our work environment, learning opportunities and our benefits package. With regard to pay, we regularly review our total compensation ... More

3. "Review"

Current Employee - Staff Professional in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Professional in Woburn, MA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time

Pros

The work environment is professional and laissez faire. The people are busy but willing to help out. Benefits are good.

Cons

The environment lacks diversity. If you want to advance, you need to put in a ton of hours on a weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Look around. Pay attention to what each employee brings to the table. The upper management makes advancement decisions based on metrics and paperwork rather than company needs.

GEI Consultants Response

Oct 7, 2016 – President/CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad to hear that you’re enjoying our work environment. While we have many positive attributes as an organization, we are not perfect and are continually striving ... More

5. "Great Firm"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent project mix, highly qualified staff, good benefits, good work atmosphere

Cons

Could use better national distribution of offices to better service client base

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. "Great start for career"

Former Employee - Intern in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at GEI Consultants (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn from employees, some of whom are excellent teachers (Ted Dunsford). Flexible hours, and the workplace is like a giant family. Fun place to work.

Cons

Roles can be a bit ambigious or assignment tasks not too well defined. Specifications can change as well.

7. "Growing Company with Strong Leaders"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good long term projects make for a relaxed work environment. Opportunities to develop expertise and learn from some of the best in the business. Competitive salaries and strong incentives such as profit sharing and employee ownership as you advance. The company is also well reputed with clients and industry peers.

Cons

Few opportunities to work across practice areas or regions. Project assignments are limited a very narrow area of perceived expertise.

Advice to Management

Stop pigeon-holing employees. Pay closer attention to younger staff. Give staff assignments in a range of practice areas to enhance their development.

8. "Good engineering consultant with varied project portfolio"

Former Employee - Engineer in Glastonbury, CT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Glastonbury, CT

I worked at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GEI does it all: environmental, civil, geotechnical, water resources, ecological. The projects are very interesting. There is definitely a path for success and training to get there.

Cons

The amount of billable work they ask out of midlevel staff is out of whack. Different types of engineering can be silo-ed in a way that does not maximize the skills of the company as a whole.

Advice to Management

more interregional collaboration. More female and minority leadership. Keep up the good work when it comes to work product.

9. "Best thing that ever happened to me!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is always willing to help advance a persons career through training and career development courses. We are constantly growing and bringing on fresh new faces, it's so nice to see.

Cons

I am a big advocate of change in the workplace when necessary. Hard to change people that have been here for a long time. Attitudes aren't always the most positive.

10. "Growing company with a great culture!"

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GEI has a great culture of giving their employees the freedom and resources to be successful. This creates a very positive work environment where people enjoy coming to work everyday. The recent growth of the company is also very exciting to see as new offices and practice leaders have joined the company over the last few years. GEI treats their employees well and focuses on professional development ensuring employees have the opportunities they need to get to the next level in their careers.

Cons

The growth of the company has its operational challenges but senior management seems to be very aware of those challenges and I'm confident they are working to address them.

Advice to Management

GEI has a great culture and as we continue to grow I hope that we are able to maintain all the things that make it a great company to work for.

11. "Good people, great place to work"

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Senior managers that don't lose sight of the fact our employees drive the business
    Heavy growth over the past 5+ years has created a number of opportunities for employees
    Strong benefits programs
    Highly motivated workforce - great coworkers
    Commitment to high quality work
    Very good client satisfaction scores - easier to work with happy clients
    Family oriented culture

Cons

Growing pains - administrative processes haven't always kept up
    Some management positions are selected based on by technical/sales accomplishment vs. people skills