GEI Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
GEI Consultants President and CEO Ron Palmieri
Ron Palmieri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Since starting at GEI more than a year ago, I've been more than pleasantly surprised and at GEI’s great work environment" (in 9 reviews)

• "GEI is also an employee-owned company so employees have the opportunity to have a direct say in the company's actions and future" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "This has brought many positive changes, but growing pains have definitely played out" (in 3 reviews)

• "Career development for entry and mid level staff can be slow, but there has been a push to improve this" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"GEI is My Best Employer"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We are a tight-knit group that encourages collaboration between our offices. We always are looking toward the next 5 or so years, keeping our eye on organic growth. Downsizing is not in our vocabulary. The staff is treated quite well with good salaries, good benefits, and stimulating opportunities.

Cons

We could use more bench strength to support some of our projects and service lines.

Advice to Management

Maintain the focus you've had of hiring young talented individuals, especially before the senior staff all retire.

Aug 30, 2018 – President & CEO

We are honored that you consider GEI your best employer, thank you! It’s great to hear that you work in an environment that is collaborative and focused on growing to meet our client’s needs and... More

2. "Collaborative, Technically Challenging and Rewarding."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging and interesting work.
    Multi-disciplinary offering from industry experts.
    Diverse backgrounds in a collaborative environment.
    Culture of providing best value with emphasis on the quality of the work product.
    Great benefits. Great company culture and office dynamics.

Cons

It's consulting and deadlines are unforgiving. There are some long days.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the pulse of the company. Continue to enable collaboration and interaction with senior management. My best experiences at GEI have come from interacting with the principals in charge and other senior engineers.

"Good benefits, low pay, needs work on diversity"

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time

Pros

They treat their employees relatively well. The benefits and PTO are generous. They give tuition reimbursement, which is a great program for new grads wanting work and a continuation of their education. F or the most part the people are great. They have a decent mentorship program and plenty of people who will help you when they have time. They have a D&I committee that is made up of passionate people who want to improve the culture of the company.

Cons

Poor communication from management to lower-level employees. Low pay and they expect you to keep utilization up, even when there is no client work. Promotions and bonuses are dependent on billabilty. Taking care of the necessary work that is not billable is expected to be done for free on your own time. Tech and temporary employees are sometimes viewed as incapable of anything other than following SOPs, and their work is consistently devalued. I've overheard project managers bad-mouth employees in front of everyone but the employee, and they rarely put the work in to communicate to those employees their expectations or concerns. If a manager has a problem with you, you'll never know unless you overhear them bad-mouthing you, by that point they've already made up their mind about you and your capabilities. Some will act petty, doing things like giving you the silent treatment.
    Some managers seem over-burdened with their work load, and will put off even the simplest replies to emails because they're so busy.
    Some managers seem threatened by new ideas, or questions about the way things are done. Some PMs are territorial over work, and discourage employees who express interest in acquiring new skills. There is little investment in training.
    Certain managers are blatantly sexist, telling female employees to "smile" and making fun of employees in front of others about how some female employees will "never get a boyfriend." Other examples are subtle, sometimes it happens in the hiring process, and I've never felt comfortable going to HR with my concerns.
    Despite the company having a great D&I team in place, they really could be a more diverse environment.
    Lastly, there are few opportunities for advancement, especially if you're at the tech level.

Advice to Management

Invest in the people who work for you. Work on company-wide culture so that everyone feels valued and included. Be flexible, this new generation of employees are not going to do everything the same way as you and that's not a threat.

"YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER COMPANY/TEAM TO WORK WITH"

Current Employee - GRADE II STAFF GEOLOGIST in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - GRADE II STAFF GEOLOGIST in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GRADE II STAFF GEOLOGIST. RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA

There are three words that come to mind when I describe GEI to people: Technical expertise and Community. From day one when I walked in the door I listened to numerous high-level design, remediation, site characterization, conceptual site model and hydrogeology conversations; which as a new hire was stimulating and exciting. I knew then that I struck gold with GEI.

Most Junior staff members at other environmental consulting firms are essentially field technicians (agree to disagree; but be honest with yourself that’s how it is). At GEI, that isn’t the case. Of course, we perform most of the field work, but we come back to the office: process, analysis, evaluate and report the data collected in the field for review by Senior staff. We are trained well and given an abundance of responsibilities early in our careers to develop our character, knowledge and confidence. I have discussed the wide array of project types I have experienced thus far at GEI to colleagues in the industry and their envious responses leave them desiring more. We as a company are involved in: environmental and geotechnical investigations, environmental design and remediation, construction oversight, geotechnical design (transportation, dams, deep foundations), water resources, storm water management and design, and ecological and wetland delineation services. The best way to find out what we do and how we do it; is to apply and join our team of technical professionals.

The community at GEI extends far outside of Raleigh, NC branch. While I could write a 3+ page monologue about how well I, and others, have been treated in Raleigh it will suit you all best if I describe the company’s culture as a whole. We have offices across the United States; however, the way multiple offices share project workload based on a person’s expertise is incredible, and it shows in our work product. We all want each other to succeed professionally and in life outside of work. We challenge one another with additional roles, and responsibilities, knowing that if we need anything, from anyone, within the entire company all we have to do is ask. For instance, GEI’s President and CEO recently came to our Raleigh, NC office for one of our company’s new initiatives. I knew he was coming and made a point to introduce myself and welcome him to our office; rather than exchanging a few words we had a 20-minute conversation about my goals and how to achieve those goals. He provided insight into some of his experiences, throughout his career and how they developed him into the consultant he is today. He told me, “if you need anything call me, seriously”. I couldn’t have felt more at home knowing that throughout our company’s organization we are all here for one another and to make each other better and more successful.

I recently read a statistic that claimed 75% of the work force stay at a company for 18 months before moving on to progress their career elsewhere. I can confidently say that I see myself starting and ending my career at GEI. I cannot imagine working for another company and losing THIS sense of community and leadership.

Cons

I have not experience anything within my 2 year period here that would qualify as a "Con".

Advice to Management

Remain supportive, instructive, and technical as you always have. Continue developing junior staff into professional leaders.

"An (Overall) Positive Place to Work"

Current Employee - Staff Professional in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Professional in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I've only been here full time for a few months, GEI has already become a very comfortable place to work every day. Overall, other employees are extremely kind and happy to help and collaborate in any way, which is particularly important considering that we often work with folks in several of our office locations to complete a project.

On the whole, supervisors and other people in authority are very understanding and flexible, and the company culture itself emphasizes employee well-being. Office and field safety is also crucial to the company, which is reassuring.

Note that even the "cons" for the company (see below) I feel can or will be able to be worked out eventually, because administration and supervisors really want their employees to be happy.

Cons

I don't know yet how fair the promotion/raise process is, but I do know that employees are only considered for promotions once a year, and even after finding out whether one is promoted, it takes months for the status to actually kick in. Also, so many people are involved in the decision of whether a person gets promoted, that it's hard to know if you're even on the right track - supervisor feedback alone doesn't help with that process as much as it should in that regard.

Also, it makes sense for a company to be concerned with utilization (amount of time billed to projects, as opposed to training or other non-billable activities you're still paid for), but for some employees, the required utilization is too high to be realistic (up to 90%) as it gives no room for training or working on projects that don't have a contract yet.

Employees below a certain grade get far fewer benefits, and can't hold shares in the company, even though it's "employee owned." Unless you come in at a fairly high level, it typically takes many years to get to that grade. I know a few people who have left the company because they felt they were not able to advance in their careers at a pace they felt was fair, however, it seems that they did not communicate these frustrations to their supervisor - the situation could have had a happier ending if they did.

Advice to Management

Encourage training and early involvement in projects (ie before it's got a contract) by making more flexible utilization targets. Give employees more feedback throughout the year about how they can be on track for a promotion. Most importantly, continue emphasizing employee happiness and well-being as you have. Even if you're not hearing much direct feedback about it, know that we appreciate the extra steps you go to make this a pleasant place to work.

Oct 25, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for your detailed review of GEI. You’ve noted a number of key things about our culture, including our focus on safety. As a newer employee to GEI, its important to us that you experience... More

6. "Extremely poor management"

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time

Pros

There's several interesting projects to work on. Most people are pleasant and easy to work with.

Cons

Being a new employee is difficult. Office politics are crazy and the management doesn't make any sense. I've been working at GEI for about one year, but would love to find a new job. I really wish I could focus on work, but several management factors prohibit me from actually accomplishing work goals. I don't feel like I've progressed much with my career, and the office is full of favoritism.

Advice to Management

Improve the employee on-boarding process. Have a better plan for dealing with worker to worker conflict.

Nov 14, 2018 – President & CEO

We’re sorry to hear that your experience at GEI as a new employee hasn’t been positive overall. Our goal is that all of our employees have a good onboarding experience, clear and achievable goals... More

7. "Great Employee Initiative (GEI)"

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since starting at GEI more than a year ago, I've been more than pleasantly surprised and at GEI’s great work environment. We work hard because we want to give our best. As someone new to consulting when I joined, I was concerned that I would have to build a book of business immediately. GEI leaders were very supportive of me thinking long-term and strategically. They are focused on what we do and how we do it for all the right reasons, which has allowed me to develop and execute a strategy that could be more sustainable over the long run. GEI Leadership has urged me to keep doing my best and "have fun." As a result, GEI's philosophy shows through. Clients want to work with us because the company is comprised of smart, dedicated personable people (not just traditional "professionals") with integrity. GEI also understands the importance of workplace flexibility and being client driven. It’s all what makes GEI great.

Cons

None in the time I have been at GEI.

Oct 10, 2018 – President & CEO

As a Vice President and senior leader, we appreciate hearing that GEI’s work environment has supported you in creating a strategy and building your practice. As a thriving mid-sized firm, we pride... More

8. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative culture, everyone is working together in partnership model that is helping the client, transparency and open door policy with management, technically diverse, lots of career development opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes, too much emphasis placed on metrics.

Advice to Management

Continue maintaining collaborative culture even as we grow.

Sep 25, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for commenting on many of the components that make up our company’s culture. As we work together in support of our clients, we focus on building and maintaining a work environment where... More

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here has been amazing and one of the best choices I have made in my professional career. I have a fantastic manager that has taken the time to review my skills, and encourage me to move toward learning and studying for additional professional licenses, and continued higher education.

The working environment has been extremely positive. I find that our office has a wonderful team spirit. I have been here just over 1.5 years and I have found the people here to be warm, friendly and extremely talented.

Cons

GEI is growing and expanding not only in people numbers, but also in core business disciplines. It will be exciting to see where we are in one year, then two and so on. I find growth to have some challenges... but at this time there are no CONS.

Aug 14, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for your enthusiastic feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that you have a strong relationship with your manager where you are both focused on your growth and development. Encouraging strong... More

10. "New hire"

Current Employee - Geological Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Geological Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is extremely welcoming, good range of ages and genders, small enough office to make it feel like a close group of people.. I interviewed with multiple companies around the Bay Area and felt most "at home" with GEI, also the salary was equivalent to my other offers. So after lots of research and interviews I decided it was the best fit- and I am very happy with my choice!

Cons

Not opposed but does not encourage working from home

Aug 14, 2018 – President & CEO

It’s wonderful to hear that you feel “at home” with GEI. We are dedicated to creating a collaborative, inclusive work environment where everyone feels welcome and it’s always great to get... More