GEI Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
GEI Consultants President and CEO Ron Palmieri
Ron Palmieri

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Since starting at GEI more than a year ago, I've been more than pleasantly surprised and at GEI’s great work environment" (in 9 reviews)

• "GEI is also an employee-owned company so employees have the opportunity to have a direct say in the company's actions and future" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "This has brought many positive changes, but growing pains have definitely played out" (in 3 reviews)

• "Career development for entry and mid level staff can be slow, but there has been a push to improve this" (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"GEI is My Best Employer"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We are a tight-knit group that encourages collaboration between our offices. We always are looking toward the next 5 or so years, keeping our eye on organic growth. Downsizing is not in our vocabulary. The staff is treated quite well with good salaries, good benefits, and stimulating opportunities.

Cons

We could use more bench strength to support some of our projects and service lines.

Advice to Management

Maintain the focus you've had of hiring young talented individuals, especially before the senior staff all retire.

Aug 30, 2018 – President & CEO

We are honored that you consider GEI your best employer, thank you! It’s great to hear that you work in an environment that is collaborative and focused on growing to meet our client’s needs and... More

2. "An (Overall) Positive Place to Work"

Current Employee - Staff Professional in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Professional in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I've only been here full time for a few months, GEI has already become a very comfortable place to work every day. Overall, other employees are extremely kind and happy to help and collaborate in any way, which is particularly important considering that we often work with folks in several of our office locations to complete a project.

On the whole, supervisors and other people in authority are very understanding and flexible, and the company culture itself emphasizes employee well-being. Office and field safety is also crucial to the company, which is reassuring.

Note that even the "cons" for the company (see below) I feel can or will be able to be worked out eventually, because administration and supervisors really want their employees to be happy.

Cons

I don't know yet how fair the promotion/raise process is, but I do know that employees are only considered for promotions once a year, and even after finding out whether one is promoted, it takes months for the status to actually kick in. Also, so many people are involved in the decision of whether a person gets promoted, that it's hard to know if you're even on the right track - supervisor feedback alone doesn't help with that process as much as it should in that regard.

Also, it makes sense for a company to be concerned with utilization (amount of time billed to projects, as opposed to training or other non-billable activities you're still paid for), but for some employees, the required utilization is too high to be realistic (up to 90%) as it gives no room for training or working on projects that don't have a contract yet.

Employees below a certain grade get far fewer benefits, and can't hold shares in the company, even though it's "employee owned." Unless you come in at a fairly high level, it typically takes many years to get to that grade. I know a few people who have left the company because they felt they were not able to advance in their careers at a pace they felt was fair, however, it seems that they did not communicate these frustrations to their supervisor - the situation could have had a happier ending if they did.

Advice to Management

Encourage training and early involvement in projects (ie before it's got a contract) by making more flexible utilization targets. Give employees more feedback throughout the year about how they can be on track for a promotion. Most importantly, continue emphasizing employee happiness and well-being as you have. Even if you're not hearing much direct feedback about it, know that we appreciate the extra steps you go to make this a pleasant place to work.

3. "Great Employee Initiative (GEI)"

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since starting at GEI more than a year ago, I've been more than pleasantly surprised and at GEI’s great work environment. We work hard because we want to give our best. As someone new to consulting when I joined, I was concerned that I would have to build a book of business immediately. GEI leaders were very supportive of me thinking long-term and strategically. They are focused on what we do and how we do it for all the right reasons, which has allowed me to develop and execute a strategy that could be more sustainable over the long run. GEI Leadership has urged me to keep doing my best and "have fun." As a result, GEI's philosophy shows through. Clients want to work with us because the company is comprised of smart, dedicated personable people (not just traditional "professionals") with integrity. GEI also understands the importance of workplace flexibility and being client driven. It’s all what makes GEI great.

Cons

None in the time I have been at GEI.

Oct 10, 2018 – President & CEO

As a Vice President and senior leader, we appreciate hearing that GEI’s work environment has supported you in creating a strategy and building your practice. As a thriving mid-sized firm, we pride... More

4. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Collaborative culture, everyone is working together in partnership model that is helping the client, transparency and open door policy with management, technically diverse, lots of career development opportunities.

Cons

Sometimes, too much emphasis placed on metrics.

Advice to Management

Continue maintaining collaborative culture even as we grow.

Sep 25, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for commenting on many of the components that make up our company’s culture. As we work together in support of our clients, we focus on building and maintaining a work environment where... More

5. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here has been amazing and one of the best choices I have made in my professional career. I have a fantastic manager that has taken the time to review my skills, and encourage me to move toward learning and studying for additional professional licenses, and continued higher education.

The working environment has been extremely positive. I find that our office has a wonderful team spirit. I have been here just over 1.5 years and I have found the people here to be warm, friendly and extremely talented.

Cons

GEI is growing and expanding not only in people numbers, but also in core business disciplines. It will be exciting to see where we are in one year, then two and so on. I find growth to have some challenges... but at this time there are no CONS.

Aug 14, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for your enthusiastic feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that you have a strong relationship with your manager where you are both focused on your growth and development. Encouraging strong... More

6. "New hire"

Current Employee - Geological Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Geological Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is extremely welcoming, good range of ages and genders, small enough office to make it feel like a close group of people.. I interviewed with multiple companies around the Bay Area and felt most "at home" with GEI, also the salary was equivalent to my other offers. So after lots of research and interviews I decided it was the best fit- and I am very happy with my choice!

Cons

Not opposed but does not encourage working from home

Aug 14, 2018 – President & CEO

It’s wonderful to hear that you feel “at home” with GEI. We are dedicated to creating a collaborative, inclusive work environment where everyone feels welcome and it’s always great to get... More

7. "Water Resources / Agricultural Engineer -- Varied, Interesting Work"

Current Employee - Project Professional [Level 3] in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Project Professional [Level 3] in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked part-time for GEI while finishing up graduate school and recently started full-time. The diverse skill-sets and backgrounds of coworkers allows for great learning on the job.

There are many opportunities to get involved in a variety of projects and learn new skills. My supervisor(s) have been very supportive of learning new skills and provide interesting work.

Overall, a great company in my opinion.

Cons

The Sacramento Office is growing rapidly. This has brought many positive changes, but growing pains have definitely played out. Overall, nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Not great at retaining young talent. But this is likely because most of us [millennials] are complainers. Need to create an environment that keeps some of these folks around, though.

Aug 14, 2018 – President & CEO

We are thrilled that you worked for us as a student and chose to return to us as a full-time professional after graduation. Getting the opportunity to work on a variety of interesting projects and... More

8. "Great place to work, generally"

I worked at GEI Consultants full-time

Pros

Employee-owned company with excellent benefits and profit sharing. Excellent people to work with.

Cons

Upper management is a little out of touch with lower level employees and sometimes contribute little to the work. Training opportunities are very limited... You basically stay with the knowledge and education you came in with.

Advice to Management

Provide more professional training and education.

Aug 23, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for highlighting our excellent people and employee ownership program, along with our benefits and profit sharing programs. Our culture, created by our people, is one of the things we’re... More

9. "Great for career growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, plenty of opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Have not had any yet.

Aug 14, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for your comments on our work environment and growth opportunities. Our clients provide us with rich opportunities to work on an interesting mix of projects in our five key markets: water... More

10. "Senior Professional"

Current Employee - Senior Professional in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Professional in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people at all levels of the company - joining GEI is like joining a family and everyone is supportive of each other and has a great time together.
    Interesting projects - I have worked at GEI for almost 3 years and all projects are interesting and offer different layers of challenge and complexity. Prior to joining GEI, I didn't know companies like this really existed. Everything about the company is pro- people, culture, interview process, focus on diversity, interesting work, compensation, employee ownership, etc.

Cons

Location of current office is far from the local city. Commute is 45 mins-1hr.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Aug 14, 2018 – President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our culture, projects and total rewards package. We focus on cultivating a work environment where everyone treats each other as partners, in... More