GEI Consultants Reviews

Updated Jun 25, 2020

4.2
GEI Consultants President and CEO  Ron Palmieri
Ron Palmieri
Pros
  • "Friendly work environment and helpful coworkers(in 10 reviews)

• "GEI is also an employee-owned company so employees have the opportunity to have a direct say in the company's actions and future(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is a little out of touch with lower level employees and sometimes contribute little to the work(in 3 reviews)

• " project managers (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Work Environment-Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Project Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for! GEI's infrastructure is excellent. The working environment is inclusive where all employees are treated with equal respect irrespective of their designation.

Cons

The work from home or flexible working option is not available to Office Administration sector.

January 2, 2020President & CEO

It’s wonderful to hear that you’re enjoying our culture and work environment. At GEI, we treat each other as partners (we refer to it as our Partnership model). At the base of our Partnership model, is treating everyone with respect and trust that we are all doing “the right thing” for our clients and the company, so we’re delighted that you are experiencing the Partnership model. We do have some flexibility in our work environment for employees who consistently meet or exceed client and project demands. In 2020, we are working towards developing company-level guidelines to further support leaders and employees balance their work and life needs. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to reach out to our Senior Vice President of People & Safety, Julie Jennings Kale. Thank you for your feedback and for choosing GEI as the place where you are investing your career.

2. "Good consulting company"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Bloomfield, NJ

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Plenty of expertise, open door policy, challenging projects, vibrant office.

Cons

Quick growth makes the company more like its larger competitors.

July 3, 2020President & CEO

Thank you for your review of our company on Glassdoor. We’re glad to hear that you are enjoying the wealth of knowledge shared among your talented colleagues. It’s fantastic that you’re challenged with exciting projects and engaged colleagues, that’s our goal at GEI. Our fee growth, on average, has been a little over 10 percent per year, which allows us to create new opportunities for our employees as well as capacity to continue to add to our talented team. It’s a strong sign that our clients trust us, know we’ll deliver quality work and add value to their projects. With growth can come some challenges, which is why we strive to hire people with an entrepreneurial mindset who we rely upon in helping us to remain successful, even in challenging times. Thank you for spending a decade with us, we hope you’ll enjoy many more years with GEI.

3. "career stepping stone"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at GEI Consultants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn a lot starting from the basics

Cons

No career advancement and low comp

July 2, 2020President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback about your experience at GEI. It’s good to hear that you learned a lot at GEI. We’re surprised you feel there wasn’t any career advancement or opportunities to increase your compensation at GEI. As a mid-sized consulting firm with over 45 locations in two countries and a staff of over 900 with many different practice areas, we are focused on broad opportunities for our employees to work on projects to gain experience and advance their skills and careers. As a software developer based in Northern California, we can’t offer the career opportunities of large employers who sell software as a service (SAS), but we do value and need teams with a continual focus on software and technology advancement to support our client’s needs.

4. "Good Place To Start"

4.0
    Current Employee - Intern in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly work environment and helpful coworkers

Cons

Not enough training or onboarding for new employees

January 2, 2020President & CEO

Thank you for your feedback. While we’re happy to hear that you feel GEI is a great place to start, it’s our goal that employees that enjoy working in consulting experience a long, successful career at GEI. We’re proud of our culture which is all about our employees and clients. We’re sorry to hear your opinion of our onboarding and training. We have a robust onboarding program that we implemented three years ago and have enhanced several times since and it unfortunately sounds like you didn’t get the chance to experience it. We also have a robust learning program called GEI University (GEIU) which contains a variety of learning opportunities from eLearning to live training. We offer tuition reimbursement as well as reimbursement for licenses & certifications, published papers and support to join industry associations and attend conferences. Our Director of Learning & Organizational Development, Sonja Atkins, is also located in our Rancho Cordova branch and is available for feedback. We strongly encourage you to speak with her to learn more about our learning and development program.

5. "Current employee"

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Woburn, MA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere! Good health benefits and they also give credit for previous work experience. They provide reimbursement for professional licenses.

Cons

Nothing at all at the moment.

January 2, 2020President & CEO

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying two important components of our culture; our people and total rewards package. We are focused on creating a work environment where our people engage in interesting work with their colleagues in support of our clients. Likewise, we review our benefits package at least annually to make sure it meets or exceeds market benchmarks and includes innovative benefits, such as a generous time off policy and supports the well-being of our employees and their dependents. Thanks for being a part of the GEI team!

"Getting laid off from here was the best thing that happened to me"

1.0
    Former Employee - Staff Civil Engineer

I worked at GEI Consultants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is high turnover, so I am glad in this great economy good engineers are finding better opportunities elsewhere.

Cons

Where do I begin? You read a lot of complaints on here about lack of training/favoritism/etc. Totally true. They'll throw you out in the field with no training. Result? Bad designs. The idea is win big projects, give all the work to undertrained entry level engineers, and then expect a miracle to happen. The other expectation? Work on low pay and no raises. Getting laid off from this company was the greatest thing that happened in my life. I'd say this company is the Walmart of the Civil Engineering industry. GEI is definitely a stepping stone to a better future at a greater organization. I'd say if you are early in your career and get hired because you have no other choice, have them spend their money to train you , and then leave with some experience under your belt.

August 22, 2019President & CEO

We’re sorry to hear about your unfavorable opinion of GEI. We’d like to take the opportunity to provide clarity about GEI with some metrics. As GEI continues to thrive and grow at ~10% year over year, we continue to invest in practices and proven performers aligned with our strategic plan. As we do so, GEI’s total turnover is 10% YTD, while the industry turnover is 18.8%. GEI’s voluntary turnover is 8.1% YTD, while the industry’s voluntary turnover is 13.2%, leaving us trending (-8.8%) and (-5.1%) below industry averages respectively. GEI has also consistently offered performance-based merit increases annually, even during years where the U.S. economy has struggled. We regularly benchmark our total compensation package against market benchmarks to ensure we are compensating at or above the industry median. As you point out, we do offer learning opportunities for employees at all levels through a wide variety of programs focused on building leadership, account management, business development and other skills. We also have robust resources available to enhance project management skills, including eLearning, sponsoring PMP certifications and holding an in-person bi-annual project manager workshop where we fly all our project managers to a centralized location for a multi-day learning and engagement. We support and pay for employees to attend and speak at industry conferences, offer bonuses for publications, pay for professional dues & professional licenses and have a generous tuition reimbursement program. It is our hope that through supporting our employee’s learning and growth that they build skills and grow long-term at GEI, while focusing on delivering value-added work for our clients and contribute to achieving our strategic plan and performance goals.

7. "Great Company, Great Co-workers!"

5.0

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the people at GEI. Everyone is over-all positive and supportive of one another. Compared to other companies I've worked for, there is very little bureaucracy. Everyone in leadership is friendly and approachable. The benefits are great too- far beyond basic.

Cons

I've been here just over a year and I am struggling to think of a legitimate con.

August 22, 2019President & CEO

We are happy to hear that you are having such a positive experience at GEI. We agree that our people are great! Our ability to keep bureaucracy to a minimum is due to having a great group of people who do the right thing. Our leaders are focused on creating an engaging, positive environment with meaningful projects and growth opportunities with a goal of creating exceptional value to our clients. We also pay careful attention to our total rewards program to make sure we offer not only a competitive and comprehensive pay and benefits package, but one that leads the market with well-being benefits. We expect you’ll continue to have a great experience at GEI and never hesitate to reach out to your supervisor, Branch Manager, Regional Operations Manager or me if you have any feedback or suggestions to continue to keep it as such.

8. "Experience as a geological engineer"

Current Employee - Geological Engineer in Denver, PA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like the people and projects, and I get a lot of latitude and trust to pursue different business opportunities, to form my own project teams and working groups, and I get to contribute to staff development and the company direction. All of those things make it a rewarding job.

Cons

The company doesn't have the size or capacity to compete for the largest and most challenging engineering projects in my discipline.

January 2, 2020President & CEO

We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying a rewarding career at GEI. Our culture is supported by experienced seller-doers who can enjoy the autonomy of building successful consulting careers while developing and mentoring others. We encourage our employees to develop strong relationships with our clients and work on projects that solve complex problems, challenging them to grow with new experiences. As an employee-owned firm, we strongly encourage our employees to be involved in the business-side of what we do and need every employee to contribute to support our company’s success through our five-year strategic plan. In some circumstances, we may not have the capabilities within our firm to pursue all large projects in every geography we serve, but we do win some of the largest, most complex projects across the country. When we win these large projects, often we do so in a prime position with teaming partner firms. Thank you for your dedication to GEI with a decade of work; we look forward to continuing to count you as a valuable member of our team and achieving even greater things going forward.

9. "Collaborative, Technically Challenging and Rewarding."

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging and interesting work. Multi-disciplinary offering from industry experts. Diverse backgrounds in a collaborative environment. Culture of providing best value with emphasis on the quality of the work product. Great benefits. Great company culture and office dynamics.

Cons

It's consulting and deadlines are unforgiving. There are some long days.

March 31, 2019President & CEO

I am very pleased to hear you describe your experience with us as collaborative, technically challenging with a focus on delivering value to our clients. You highlighted some of the most important components that contribute to our company’s culture. It’s what we strive for when it comes to our employees and clients. We seek to hire and retain the top talent in our industry and connect them with our clients and projects that are highly engaging and rewarding to both. As we continue to grow our talent at about 10 percent per year, we seek an ever-diverse skillset of individuals with unique backgrounds, perspective and experiences that allow us to deliver value added services that exceeds our client’s expectations. It’s true that it takes a lot of effort and individuals who are self-motivated to be successful in our industry. As GEI engineers and scientists, we are committed to delivering value added solutions, on time and on budget to our clients. It’s my hope that those sometimes long days are filled with fulfilling work, alongside colleagues that are equally as engaged and that you learn from each other as you work on projects that are unique and offer a meaningful experience. I’m glad to hear that you’ve connected with our wealth of knowledge in our senior and principal leaders. They are here to guide and mentor you as the future leaders of GEI. I believe listening to and interacting with our clients and employees is critical to the continued success of GEI and will remain unchanged regardless of our size. I appreciate your input and feedback.

"Good benefits, low pay, needs work on diversity"

I have been working at GEI Consultants full-time

Pros

They treat their employees relatively well. The benefits and PTO are generous. They give tuition reimbursement, which is a great program for new grads wanting work and a continuation of their education. F or the most part the people are great. They have a decent mentorship program and plenty of people who will help you when they have time. They have a D&I committee that is made up of passionate people who want to improve the culture of the company.

Cons

Poor communication from management to lower-level employees. Low pay and they expect you to keep utilization up, even when there is no client work. Promotions and bonuses are dependent on billabilty. Taking care of the necessary work that is not billable is expected to be done for free on your own time. Tech and temporary employees are sometimes viewed as incapable of anything other than following SOPs, and their work is consistently devalued. I've overheard project managers bad-mouth employees in front of everyone but the employee, and they rarely put the work in to communicate to those employees their expectations or concerns. If a manager has a problem with you, you'll never know unless you overhear them bad-mouthing you, by that point they've already made up their mind about you and your capabilities. Some will act petty, doing things like giving you the silent treatment. Some managers seem over-burdened with their work load, and will put off even the simplest replies to emails because they're so busy. Some managers seem threatened by new ideas, or questions about the way things are done. Some PMs are territorial over work, and discourage employees who express interest in acquiring new skills. There is little investment in training. Certain managers are blatantly sexist, telling female employees to "smile" and making fun of employees in front of others about how some female employees will "never get a boyfriend." Other examples are subtle, sometimes it happens in the hiring process, and I've never felt comfortable going to HR with my concerns. Despite the company having a great D&I team in place, they really could be a more diverse environment. Lastly, there are few opportunities for advancement, especially if you're at the tech level.

March 31, 2019President & CEO

Thank you for your feedback on our company. I’m glad to hear you feel that we treat employees “relatively well.” At GEI, we work hard to create a consistent experience for all employees that is one of fairness, support and encouragement to develop and grow. It’s disconcerting to me that we could have leaders who are not aligned with these goals. You highlighted a number of concerns that we would like the opportunity to resolve. Please speak with your supervisor, branch manager, Regional Operations Manager, our Chief Operating Officer, Vasan Srinivasan, or me directly to raise the specifics about your concerns so we have an opportunity to discuss and address them. We would like to hear your feedback and work with you to resolve your concerns. As you point out, we proudly have a Diversity + Inclusion Committee in place that is focused on supporting our operational leadership in continuing to cultivate an environment of leadership and creates opportunities for our talented and motivated employees to develop. We continue to evolve as a firm to engage multiple generations in our workforce, which includes succession planning, leadership development and a wide range of other learning and training opportunities for junior staff within our organization. Again, if there are any leaders not aligned to these efforts, please talk with anyone in operational leadership and provide details so we can address it. You are welcome to call me personally as well. Thank you, Ron Palmieri President & CEO

Found 62 reviews