GEICO Reviews in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX | Glassdoor

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I wished work/life balance was a lot better however once you reach a year of employment there are guidelines in place to help with certain situations (in 131 reviews)

• Have to love working at a call center (in 136 reviews)

1. "Decent company but watch out if you're a top producer"

Former Employee - Producer in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Producer in Arlington, TX

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always busy so you will never be bored or complacent. Leads come to you so no cold calling

Cons

No benefits offered to field agents. If you're a top producer be prepared to be investigated by corporate every month. If you quote a lot of preferred business this is what triggers the investigations.

Decent hourly pay but horrible commission structure compared to other top companies.

2. "1 year as a claims adjuster, 1 year as a BI adjuster"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-you get promoted quickly
    -pay is pretty good
    -easy to get hired
    -they pay for your insurance license

Cons

-work can be stressful
    -people get promoted quickly (some people aren't ready for the next level)
    -you realize how much people lie and try to get over on people for money

3. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at GEICO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment, room for growth in the company

Cons

Parking is something to be worked on. And when I started they required paper benefits. Most companies now habe employees do it through websites.

"My time at GEICO has been excellent. Opportunities abound if you have the right attitude and work ethic."

Current Employee - Bodily Injury Claims Supervisor in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Bodily Injury Claims Supervisor in Richardson, TX

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Management team that is very down to earth and easy to work with. Patient and welcoming to all. New "Care Time" attendance policy is extremely flexible to help balance work/home life.

Growth and promotional opportunity is amazing.

Cons

Hours can be long sometimes but that's expected.

Compensation is less competitive than other insurance companies. Depending on what role/department your in, the job experience can vary.

Advice to Management

Prioritize growth and development of existing talent/ human resources. Stay competitive with salaries and continue to hire the right people to lead us at the team, departmental and regional levels!

"not like other offices..."

Current Employee - Rathernotsay in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Rathernotsay in Richardson, TX

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has good employees and high standards but this region is awful

Cons

Promotions given to low performers because as management has advised "they will take orders/listen" and management is promoted just because they have degrees with no interest in learning what they are there to manage..top performers or individual thinkers who bring to attention to issues are isolated and bullied..if you just want a paycheck and can handle the environment this is the place-not a place for a career anymore except for the favorites. Parking is terrible. Co-workers will make fun of peers and gossip often. Very few adhere to policies and procedures but only few are held accountable.

Advice to Management

none because they know everything and don't listen anyway

"Politics run rampant in Dallas"

Former Employee - CSR2 in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - CSR2 in Dallas, TX

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady paycheck, and great insurance benefits.

Cons

In training they hammer in that GEICO promotes based on performance instead of tenure. Unfortunately, it's not true anymore. You could be one of their top 5 adjusters on the floor and never get promoted unless you're friends with upper management. I was shot down for 3 rounds of promotions and they hired other adjusters with far worse numbers than mine, saying they weighed tenure higher that time. Don't get pregnant either. I went up for 2 promotions while pregnant and they told me they would have chosen me, but they knew I'd have a lot of doctor appointments to go to. Totally illegal, but Region 5 really knows how to word things so that they don't get in trouble. They're hurting so bad for CSRs now that you can show up late every day, not even call your supervisor to tell them you're not coming in - and management will find a reason to not fire you. If you're looking for a job where you can do bare minimum and get a livable wage, Geico's Dallas office is the place for you. I busted my butt for them for 2 years and was one of the top 10 CSRs the entire time, but I got close to the wrong people and was severely stunted because of it. Learn from my mistakes! Make friends with the higher-ups and you'll be golden!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing and you'll run that place into the ground.

"Claims adjuster"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance, overtime opportunities

Cons

Low pay compared to the rest of the industry. Micromagement is very overwhelming. Stress is high. Calls come in at all times so not a single minute to take a breath. PARKING IS TERRIBLE. Sometimes there is no parking so we have to park at a train station 5 minutes away and wait for a shuttle. This takes about 20 minutes total and you get in trouble for being "late." If you're ever sick, you will not be able to skip a day or go to the doctor without it counting against you. Your minutes to the bathroom are counted and your supervisor will email you if you took too long. The food at the cafeteria is disgusting and I found mold in it once. It's hard to go out for lunch when it takes 15 mins to get to your car and you only have a 45 minute lunch.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring if you don't have parking. Stop the micromanagement, nobody likes being yelled at to ask why they're on "not ready" when they're clearly finishing up their work. Don't count a sick day against employees. Don't count employees late when they're late because of YOUR parking issues.

"Customer service representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Garland, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Garland, TX

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was ok but that’s about it. I’m only writing the rest of this because Glassdoor requires a twenty word minimum.

Cons

Anxiety attacks. Filing for fmla for depression. Terrible management. Management wants you to do other tasks in between phone calls to learn things. The dallas office is the worst. They don’t take the time to take agents off phones to teach them new things. Promote people just because they a degree when those people don’t can’t preform their job well.

Advice to Management

Have management come in from other offices to teach you how to do your job.

"If you have enough patience you can do the job"

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can easily build relationships with your fellow associates. Depending on what your qualifications are, it may or may not be a great fit in terms of salary. Geico offers profit sharing, health, dental, vision, flextime options - you can take off a few hours and make it up on a different day.

Cons

Micro management, micro management, micro management ..i couldn't say that enough. OMG!! Yes it is a call center but you should be able to tell who does their fair share of work and who doesn't. Vacation takes for ever to accrue, no short term disability.. (doesn't help new mothers)..no service on your cellphone around the work areas. Salary not as competitive with industry standards.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging associates so much.. It will only increase stress levels and lead to higher turnovers.

"No work life balance and rigid attendance policies for salaried employees"

Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claims Adjuster in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Bodily Injury Claims Adjuster in Richardson, TX

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-worker were great. Great benefits and decent pay.

Cons

I have worked for other insurance company as a salaried employee and had never had to use PTO or be docked pay for leaving early for medical appointments or emergencies. I was told that I would not receive any PTO days until 6 months of employment. That's fine if everything in your life goes perfect for those 6 months but heaven forbid if you get sick or have any type of emergency. During my time their, my mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer and I needed to be off occasionally to attend her surgery and accompany her to oncology appointments. I was given hell for this and no compassion whatsoever. I had a separate incident where I had an upper respiratory infection with a fever (felt like I had the flu) and was told by my doctor to not go into work because I was contagious. I was even given a doctor's note advising of such. Did that matter to management? Hell no! I was called into a manager's office and was reprimanded due to their ridiculous attendance policy. I ended up having panic attacks, became depressed and had to see a psychologist due to the stress and micromanagement and resorted to psychotropic drugs and alcohol just to get by. I have since left the company and have been much happier since. My advice, life's too short...

Advice to Management

Treat salaried employees like adults and not like hourly employees. Realize that things come up that are outside of peoples control.

Showing 108 of 2,904 reviews