GEICO Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Sales Agent"

Former Employee - Licensed Sales Agent in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Licensed Sales Agent in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits; company events and theven variety of schedule choices to fit Your life

Cons

Where do I start?

Parking is terrible, often have to spend 15 mins finding a spot. They did however built a new lot with parking spots so close together, that everyone hits each other.

The goals are unrealistic if you are looking for a work-life balance.

It's all about WHO you know or have private relationships with.

The culture is not geared toward diversity or open-mindedness.

Leadership is an absolute joke. They promote the "sales" agents to supervision; however when you look back at the previous year those same candidates weren't top sellers or even close.

Posting for a position is a challenge.

Advice to Management

Better parking, diversity, open-mindedness when it comes to career development. Realistic goals. Many people have a family and it is important to have a good work-life balance. I also understand that there are phones ringing and customers needing to be attended to; however, if you implement a successful strategy to decrease the stress (goals) the turnover rate wouldn't be as high.

2. "Not a healthy place to be"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Macon, GA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, paid time off and health benefits

Cons

You'll never feel appreciate now matter how hard you work. You're just another number. It causes so many health issues working here from anxiety, depression, weight gain , etc

Advice to Management

If numbers weren't pushed down or throats, maybe employees would be happy about being and staying with geico with less stress.

3. "Must read review by a veteran"

Former Employee - Homeowners Sales in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Homeowners Sales in Buffalo, NY

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free ice cream once in a while

Cons

everything every single thing there

Advice to Management

Geico is by far the worst Job I have ever had in my life time. The Micro managing Kool-Aid drinking Cattle herders that are in management positions is mind blowing. I have never in my life time seen a group of more incompetent jack butts. It is almost unbelievable it is like you search for these Buttheads and hand pick them. Before you disregard this review as just an angry former employee, I say Geico is the worst job I have ever had in my life time well let me tell you about my previous job.... I am a United States Marine Corps Veteran and also a wounded warrior. I was hit by an IED Feb 7, 2011 Helmand province Afghanistan I sustained life altering injuries to my right leg and lost one of my Best Friends. I would rather relive that day every day for the rest of time then work 1 more minute at that Slave camp. Geico Stinks Let me say it one more time for any of you thinking of applying GEICO Stinksssssss! I hope this review helps thanks for reading :)

5. "Customer Service"

I worked at GEICO full-time

Pros

Pay was decent, but not enough

Cons

You're nothing but a number at GEICO. I was told to get anxiety medicine by my supervisor. No sympathy for workers. Mentally draining.

Advice to Management

Have individual offices instead of call centers. Call centers suck.

6. "Run!!!"

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Haymarket, VA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Haymarket, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers were a great bunch of people, location of office was convenient to 66 and 15.

Cons

Micromanagement, derogatory comments and belittling done by owner of agency, ridiculous rules such as not being allowed to drive anywhere during business hours. Lack of flexibility in schedules, constant changing of payrate and commission schedule.

Advice to Management

Put everything in writing, cut out favoritism, and train agents properly.

7. "HORRIFIC!!"

Former Employee - Tcrt Or Ta1 I Have A Degree So Mine IS Tcrt But ITS the Same Pays the Same Too

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance. A good stepping stone or boot camp as us veterans call it.

Cons

They are a mill. Meaning their goal is to get as much out of you for as little as possible. While they seem to not "fire" anyone they do. And the people they don't fire they make their workday a living hell of walking a tight rope with no net. You are graded on 5-6 things. Customer service, accuracy on note taking on the file while on the call, file handling, closing exposures, selling their debotched arx car repair program with shotty bodyshops. When i say graded i mean if you do just one thing wrong you do not pass. They call out "satisfactory" and "non satisfactory" meaning you could be doing everything correctly but miss ONE thing and your call is non satisfactory. These numbers are you to keep you like rats in a bin. Fighting to get out. The more you work to get you numbers up the more money they make and maybe just maybe if the numbers align with your dependability (God forbid if you are sick for 2 days without fml cause it will cont against your dependability) and your experience, your interview with the next set of supervisors, your competition, education, years with the company. Then you get a promotion and this will get you a wopping at the most $1.10/hr increase! Lol i was fought to get my experience and stay relavent until i found out it's not the same at any other insurance company. If you want to grow in insurance find another place to work. Leave this for the higj schoolers they are hiring from their academy in MULBERRY. LOL so if you have GE now you know why your policy and/or claims get handled wrong. High school graduates are handling them. Of course they would be happy making $15/h, compete for at least a year and get $1 more. Certainly not for a person with a degree or who knows better.

Advice to Management

I've spoken with them. They said this will never change. Well that's why there's USAA, PROGRESSIVE, DIRECT GENERAL, INFINITY, STATE FARM AND THE LIKE. AT MY EXIT INTERVIEW THEY ASKED IF I'D COME BACK. I COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING!

"Truly demoralizing and horrible."

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Macon, GA

I have been working at GEICO full-time

Pros

The salary. Paid time off. Benefits. Looks good on your resume. Paid licensing. Tuition reimbursement. Profit sharing.

Cons

You are not respected or valued. All you are is a number producing robot. The standards they hold you to are unrealistic and always changing. Most of your goals are beyond your control, however you will be treated like a failure and harassed if you fall short of perfection. You are micromanaged to the nth degree.

I know so many people who are on prescription/street drugs and stressed out from working here. This job will eventually affect your health, sanity and personal life. It's one of the better paying jobs in the area, but at some point you have to ask yourself is the money worth it? Many people have left and taken pay cuts to be happier.

Bathroom breaks are monitored worse than kindergarten, and if you use the bathroom "too many" times a day, it is assumed that you are just faking it just to get off the phone. The idea from management is that you are to use the bathroom 3 times a day. Once during your 30 minute lunch, again during your 15 minute break, and one more time after that.

If you manage to stand working here longer than 1 year, make sure you get FMLA. This is the only way your sick time will not count against your dependability. Sure, you can call out sick if your kids are sick or you have the flu- but that'll count against your dependability and if you go below 97%...well then you will need another job. So make sure you get FML to use as a safety net to protect yourself. No one believes you even if you do have a legitimate health problem and anyone who does have FML is put on a not-so secret list by HR to be fired. You're made to feel guilty for taking time off even if it is approved in advance through the scheduling system. People who use their earned vacation are looked at like slackers. If you are not a GEICO drone who comes early, leaves late and is a robot, then you're treated as if you're a slacker.

management power trips on the employees and can be very disrespectful. A labor union would have a field day with this place. management are often completely ignorant and unprofessional. Favoritism is the rule here. If your supervisor likes you then you can get away with murder. If your supervisor doesn't like you then anything you do will be a problem. You won't have the same supervisor for very long so this can be a good or bad thing, depending on your relationship with them.

The work environment is very catty and competitive and management plays on this. I guess they figure if they keep the little people at each others throats then no one will complain about how poorly they're being treated. There is no privacy here.

Advice to Management

Respect the employees on the phone unit. Don't just give us junk food and think that keeps us complacent. Try actually respecting us as adults and human beings. Create a culture in which your employees actually feel valued and your turnover won't be so high and morale will be better.

"MOAT sales (((Homeowners insurance)))"

Former Employee - MOAT Sales in Getzville, NY
    Former Employee - MOAT Sales in Getzville, NY

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Profit sharing was nice even after (((management))) took half and put it in a 401k because at 28 years old, I and my colleagues were incabable of making our own decisions.

Cons

A lot of the rave reviews you see on this page are shills for GEICO, most likely grade 58-60 people in the HR department. Short and simple; you are chained to a desk all day every day taking endless calls. Many of those calls are people who cannot understand English and are tricked into getting a homeowners quote from a person in another department trying to meet their referral quota. These count against your (((numbers))). Also, Geico believes greatly in (((diversity))) and promoting people based on their sex or ethnicity rather than merit or knowledge. Even after all this, I still highly recommend working for Geico. It is a great leaning experience and will make you appreciate the next job you have.

Advice to Management

More dilly bars to maintain sufficient Kool Aid levels

"Liability Claims Adjuster"

Former Employee - Liability Claims Adjuster in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Liability Claims Adjuster in Woodbury, NY

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My colleagues were amazing people and we were all pretty much there just for the paycheck. Lunch breaks consisted of venting because we were so stressed out and many of the company's rules can make you feel extremely micromanaged. Weekends off - but on sundays most people get stressed out about thinking about Monday's workload.

Cons

You are completely micromanaged in everything you do, type, and speak. You decide who is at fault in an accident based on drivers' recorded statements in which most of them usually lie and when your decision is made you will most likely be getting yelled at by both parties. Very fast paced work environment even for someone who is fresh out of training. Training does not actually prepare you for the job even though you are in there for about 2 months. A typical monday starts out with you getting to your desk and seeing that you received about 6-7 new claims over the weekend and are expected to contact every single person listed in the claim included the other person's insurance within 2 hours. Some claims can have about 5-6 different people that you will need to call and interview. If you don't complete this within 2 hours then when your claim is graded you will get "downgraded." Voicemails must be returned within 30 mins even though some phone calls last longer than that and you are required to log your voicemails so management can keep track of it. Call monitoring is what really put me over the edge. They expect you to apologize and be very courtesy to a customer who is threatening to your life, family, and cursing you out. If you don't say an "empathetic" statement .25 seconds after someone says for the 5th time in one phone call that the other person is at fault then you are downgraded. Micromanaged. Micromanaged. Micromanaged. Most employees are miserable. We were told we can't plug in our phone chargers into an empty outlet because it is company property. People leave crying pretty much every single day. Very high turnover - that's why they are constantly hiring. Houston office cannot keep up with such high turnover to the point where they can't fill up half of the office space. You think you will close the office during a snow storm in which the city has closed down the highways? Nope, they certainly will not and they will expect you to be there the next morning also. Many new adjusters are drowning in their claims and no sort of help is given to lighten up the load at first and gradually increase workload to a manageable standard for a human being.

Advice to Management

Let the employees be human beings.

"Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, profit sharing, opp to move into management - they have a Starbucks inside. Looks of development courses

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with those below them. A lot of back stabbing. You can't trust people you work with. Barley any consideration for work life balance.

Advice to Management

Stick to the actions you claim you are going to take. Don't say things to please one party. No one likes a people pleaser who doesn't come through at the end.

Showing 322 of 2,475 reviews