GEICO Reviews | Glassdoor

Olza (Tony) Nicely
1,615 Ratings

2,644 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • No work life balance not competitive salary (in 120 reviews)

• Have to love working at a call center (in 130 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Agent"

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Savannah, GA

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly, caring, family oriented. The Local GEICO Office in Savannah Georgia works as a team.

Cons

The corporate office mandates a phone script that is monitored and must be followed exactly with no variation. This can make sales more difficult, removing individuality.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, the management is exceptional!

GEICO Response

Jun 21, 2017 – Branding/E-Recruitment Specialist

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We're so glad that you had a wonderful experience working within one of our Local Offices. The program is exciting for exactly the reasons you ... More

"A great company that takes care of its people!"

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster Intern in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster Intern in Fredericksburg, VA

Pros

Full time is 37.5 Hours per week. Benefits are generous and inexpensive. Income compensation is excellent for an entry-level position. Very positive managers and co-workers. Positive work environment. Great quality of life. Outstanding Training program. Free Tuition, Free Car, Free Computer, Free Phone, Free Gas! Outstanding Corporate Citizen. One of the only A+ Rated Companies in the country.

Cons

Office locations are very spread out, so commute time could be excessive if you don't live near by. Company processes can be tedious at times. I can think of no real detractions so far. I love working here. If someone says otherwise, they are just doing it wrong and get out of it what they haven't put into it.

Advice to Management

None so far.

"Overall an OUTSTANDING company, but there's ALWAYS room for improvement"

Current Employee - Senior Special Investigator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Special Investigator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Solid senior management with very vast majority of big-picture decisions based on sound business principles..that's why we're one of the leaders in the marketplace. The overall employee benefits are great too with 401-k, profit sharing (a biggie most years), health/dental/disability, tuition reimbursement, etc...especially for those hired prior to Sept 2004 that have a guaranteed pension plan in addition to 401-k and profit sharing. Also, in today's economy, it's very comforting to know we're owned by the "Oracle of Omaha" with his vast monetary resources. Finally, there is great room for advancement in most departments as long as you're dedicated, trainable, operate with uncompromising integrity, dependable and perform well...no, you're NOT going to be just handed anything, but you will be recognized for hard work.

Cons

The biggest "complaint" at the top of my list is probably congruent with most employers out there today....most weeks there's just too much to do and not enough time to do it (all) in...at least not all with outstanding results. I have no problem pushing employees somewhat harder to do their best, but the goals have to be reasonable and attainable with extra effort...any knucklehead can sit down and come up with goals so unreasonable that nobody could ever attain them. This is not the case most of the time, but it does occur periodically. The other current downside is that to move into ANY supervisory position you now have to have or be pursuing "eight specific core business courses" from college (despite if you already have a degree). Most of the costs are covered by tuition reimbursement, but, first, it's a life/work balance issue (especially for folks with a house, spouse/mate, kids, etc) and second, I just don't believe that all supervisors/managers need to have courses in accounting, statistics, etc. For example, if you're an Auto Damage Adjuster that might have a BS degree in Physics, you would have to already have or be pursuing those "8 core courses" to ever be a supervisor...and the extremely vast majority of your day as an Auto Damage Supv has to do with managing your field crew, inspecting cars, relationships with body shops and customers, etc.

Advice to Management

Get out of the office occasionally and come to the field and visit with field employees. I'm not talking about a Senior VP just leaving our Claims Home Office and going to visit a Regional Office. I'm talking about Senior and Regional Managers leaving the Claims Home Office and Regional Offices and GO TO THE FIELD....ride along sometime with Auto Damage Adjusters, Field Bodily Injury Adjusters, Special Investigators, etc....there are literally thousands of employees who work from home around this country for GEICO. I think it's very important for Sr Mgt to do this so, if nothing else, they can keep a pulse on what's really going on out here (in the field) and not just hearing what some manager inside a Regional Office is telling them (which may or may not be accurate given the issue). Was it not Lee Iacocca who revitalized Chrysler in the 1980's by connecting with the "common man" workers and not simply relying on management input? (Iacocca's story, by the way, should be mandatory reading for all Senior Mgt staff in any industry) I also worked for a Police Chief once (yes, I'm an investigator at GEICO and a former 10-year police veteran) who had a primary operating principle of MBWA....any guesses??...Management By Walking Around. In other words, get out and mingle with your troops and sometimes you'll be amazed with what you learn and how much you'll be admired for making the effort to connect.

4. "GEICO the place to be"

Current Employee - N/A in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - N/A in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

There are endless opp. at GEICO

Cons

Offices are located in only a couple of cities

Advice to Management

keep giving employees opportunities

5. "Great place to start and finish a long, satisfying career!"

Current Employee - Management in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Management in Macon, GA

Pros

Great promotional opportunities. Very family oriented. Extremely well managed. The current growth leader in our industry. Number 3 auto insurer and growing while others are shrinking or stagnant. Very long tenured employees, some more than 40 years! Very conscious of the cost of insurance for our customers. Dedicated to providing an affordable price and high level of service to all current and prospective customers. Forward thinking company.

Cons

Salary is average. Possibility of lost profit sharing due to slower growth even though the company will still post a large profit. Most regional offices are in locations with high cost of living.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job! Reconsider the current profit sharing matrix.

6. "GEICO, a great place to work."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Macon, GA

Pros

As you will will hear from most employees of GEICO, the best part of our working for GEICO is the benefits. Competitive pay (for the area), Health Insurance, Increased paid vacation with tenure, 401(k) plan, job flexibility (if you find yourself not liking your current job, you can post to a different department), and most of all PROFIT SHARING!!. The management team is, for the most part, very competent. There is a camaraderie that you don't find in a lot of companies.

Cons

Like any call center, there is always the push to be more and more efficient. So, even if your results are good, there's always a push to get to that next level. Of course, there are monetary compensations for that. But, sometimes, it gets a bit grating.

Advice to Management

Talk to the associates more. Make sure that associates understand why some decisions are made, rather than giving the impression that they are just unilateral baseless policies.

7. "Stable. Great Marketing Dept!"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chevy Chase, MD

Pros

Stable, growing, well run company. Not worried about "making the numbers next quarter" but more strategic and logical decisions for the long run. Excellent marketing department. You will be given many opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Compensation is below industry averages.

Advice to Management

Improve compensation to keep talented employees.

"A GREAT company to work for!"

Current Employee - Claims Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

There are tons of opportunities to advance. With the economy the way it is, GEICO is one of the few companies that is doing well and growing. The salaries are competitive, management is responsive to input from the associates, and the benefits are good. If you want opportunities to move throught the country and want to stay with the same company, GEICO would be hard to beat. Profit sharing over the years has also been excellent and the benefits are good. Being owned by Berkshire Hathaway is also a plus in that it provides some financial security and opportunity for continued growth.

Cons

Not a downside, but you are expected to work hard. Having said that; however, the rewards (in the form of opportunities for promotion and profit sharing) are worth it. A downside for some may be the amount of time spent on the telephone or tied to a desk. As a call center handling sales, service and claims calls, a large amount of the work force is tied to the telephone assisting our customers. It seems like every aspect of the process is monitored and goals are set for everything, so it can be daunting at times to meet all the goals.

Advice to Management

That we don't rest on our laurels. I sometimes think that we are resistant to change in part because we have been so successful.

"For the right professionals, GEICO can be the best place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

GEICO is a fast-paced organization with traditional style of management for operations and strict quality control. As far as corporate positions are concerned, GEICO likes to promote from within. So there is a strong corporate culture unique to the organization, low cost provider. GEICO keeps its costs low where possible. The buildings are not the fanciest, but they grow on you. However GEICO offers very competitive salaries and has a really good profit sharing plan for all associates at all levels. There is a very good sense of job security, which comes at a price of getting accustomed to some traditional managing methods (not as much flexibility of work hours in all departments, but some are flexible). The management hierarchy is flat (which also means management overhead is low). But GEICO does rely on individuals to take ownership and perform at their best. Most associates have been in their positions for a very long time and are experts at what they do. GEICO also actively hires from outside and also does college recruiting. So fresh ideas are also coming in. In general, I have found GEICO associates to be at the top of their game, yet very down to earth. Normally you have to deal with a lot of egos in order work with that talent level. The fact that GEICO provides a great service to its customers at lower costs and has conservative fiscal management makes you feel good to be a part of this organization. Although every associate gets the same percentage bonus every year, individual excellence is highly appreciated and rewarded with salary increase and promotions.

Cons

Although GEICO provides excellent professional equipment needed to perform one's job, the infrastructure takes some getting used to. There are some very nice conference rooms but most are fairly basic. No free coffee. No plasma screens in the break rooms or ping pong tables. But they do have high quality gyms. The work environment is pretty basic too with cubes and not much art on the walls. This is of course not a necessity but a pleasant and comfortable work environment can be one of the top priorities for some professionals. The company encourages ideas from associates at all levels, but the chain of command is respected and followed.

Advice to Management

You are running a good ship. Keep it up.

"Come work for Geico, where YOU come first."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

Pros

There are many reasons to work for a company like Geico. Between the management that is always willing to help, the job security, tuition reimbursement and overall being provided tools to succeed, I can't think of a reason why anyone would not want to work for this company.

Geico has a detailed hiring process to make sure that they are hiring people who are fit to do the job, not just bodies to occupy seats. Where most companies first rule is that the customer is always right, Geico's first policy is to provide emloyees with the opportunity to succeed. The training is great and prepares you for as much as possible prior to dealing with customers. It's also great how you are eased into the position and not just thrust into the line of fire. Geico makes an investment with each employee it hires. As a company, they don't expect you to walk in the door ready to go. They pay for you to get your license. As an employee, I have had nothing but support since the first day that I walked in the door. The supervisors are great. They provide feedback and support at all times. Nobody is expected to know everything. There is always someone that can help you find an answer to any questions that you may have. At Geico, I have never been spoken down to or punished for bad performance. Instead we recieve positive coaching to help improve any mistakes we may make.

Another great reason to work for Geico is job security. Being owned by Warren Buffet and backed by Berkshire Hathaway, you can rest assured that even in these difficult times, your job is secure as long as you are perfoming up to standards with the company. There are always opportunities to make more money with Geico as well. Employees who are reaching their performance goals can apply for higher positions within the company as soon as six months after hire. Also, being an employee, you get the first look for promotion opportunities over new employees walking in the door.

Another reason to work for Geico is the tuition reimbursement program. Most companies offer a percentage for tuition reimbursement. Geico provides 100% tuition reimbursement for a limited number of classes per semester, and the limit is only because they don't want your school to interfere with your work or vice versa. This includes online classes for your freshman and sophomore year.

Finally, to me, Geico is a fun place to work. There are contests and rewards for those who perform at a high level. Insurance is a tough industry to work in. You provide a product that a person can not physically hold and touch. There are two main goals at Geico; bring in new customers, and keep them here with outstanding service. I take pride in providing outstanding service on a daily basis. I loved this company as a customer, and I love it ten times more as an employee.

Cons

The only downside to working for Geico is the distance that I have to drive to get there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to hire people who you believe will have success with the company. Continue to provide the employees with all the tools necessary to succeed.

Showing 2,644 of 2,691 reviews