GEO Group Reviews | Glassdoor

GEO Group Reviews

Updated May 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good benefits, while I worked there they since they had pay and benefits under Service Contract Act (in 9 reviews)

• Friendly environment good pay ,great benefits and a chance for advancement (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay for the amount of work you have (in 13 reviews)

• The more money the save, the larger the bonuses for upper management (in 9 reviews)

1. "A job that requires a certain kind of person with a solid level of self driven moral compass and integrity"

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Lawton, OK
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Lawton, OK

I worked at GEO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job gives you a sense of purpose. When you leave it you either never look back because it wasn't for you or you feel a calling back to your duty. You will get more out of this job if it is your goal to work in a field where you are responsible for others and have self driven pride in the work you do and your ability to maintain morality.

Eventually you will find your place in the machine that is this place, and when you do you will know that you can trust your team to be at your side through every incident.

This is a job that requires you to have patience, but can be very personally rewarding, and if you are not a special cupcake, you will eventually get a chance to move up in time.

Cons

Pay is not amazing, but for the areas housing coat, it's alright.

You will get sprayed with pepper spray, in training, on the job, it's going to happen. Learn to accept it and don't let fear cause you to second guess deployment of your own chemical agents.

You will be forced to work with people you don't like, people you know are dirty but can't prove it. Stick it out, the dirty always get caught in the end, it's only a matter of time.

Advice to Management

Warden Rios was an exception all warden whom I have nothing but respect for. If nobody else, that man cared 100% about each and every employee.

New supervisors should take more time to understand why officers do what they do instead of jumping the gun and telling them what they are doing is wrong. Officers' habits are a learned thing. This means if they are doing something wrong, half the time it's because they were ordered to do so and there is a conflict of orders.

Some supervisors are bad apples, but EVERY supervisor should back up an officer in the immediate moment, this was not always the case and should be a focus of supervisory training. Yes de-escalation is top priority. But at the very least always give the image of supporting your officers in front of inmates.

Give more credit where credit is due where they go above and beyond to get the job done. Acknowledge hard work. Again this is a half and half thing, some supervisors do, some don't.

All in all, I would focus every supervisor's training around supporting officers no matter how miniscule and ridiculous their problem is, because they are the supervisors of tomorrow.

2. "Unit Manager"

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Philipsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Philipsburg, PA

I worked at GEO Group (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary and opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Top administration at some locations lack integrity needed for this profession

Advice to Management

Do not assume your on location administrators maintain integrity based on past performance

3. "Easy career"

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Robstown, TX
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Robstown, TX

I have been working at GEO Group full-time

Pros

At this particular facility, it's lower risk that working for state.

Cons

Training is inadequate, on the job training is inadequate, low staffed.

Advice to Management

Care about your workers more than putting bodies (officers) on the floor as quickly as possible.

"Case Manager"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Elizabeth, NJ
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Elizabeth, NJ

I worked at GEO Group full-time

Pros

I learned so much about the culture of law enforcement from the parole officers. I also learned so much from my clients... about people and life in general. I also learned a lot about navigating people relationships amount co-workers. Most of my co-workers were unskilled, uneducated, older people who viewed me as competition so it was definitely a learning experience to work with this crowd of employees.

Cons

I was selected for the companies Emerging Leaders Academy... we were told by leadership that reduced recidivism would result in us losing jobs. Lots of laughter followed. I was terminated because I supposedly refused to run a group, despite the fact that I was praised on my yearly review for always stepping up to fill in on running groups. Total fraud. My direct report saw me as a threat and wantedme gone. She now has a reputation from the regional manager as a trouble maker... I'd love to see this corrupt organization out of business. I now work for a Fortune 500 company. Enough said.

Advice to Management

get out of the business. The employees you have are undereducated and underpaid. Corruption is a company value

"Case Manager"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Lawton, OK
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Lawton, OK

I have been working at GEO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn

Cons

low pay high turn over

Advice to Management

treat your employees like they matter

"Just no"

Current Employee - Detention Officer in Adelanto, CA
    Current Employee - Detention Officer in Adelanto, CA

I have been working at GEO Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It can be a stepping stone to real law enforcement

Cons

never see your family because of mandatory overtime, low pay, admin hates you, favoritism, sexism, racism, understaffed

Advice to Management

replace yourselves with people who care and hire more officers to fully staff the floor

8. "Management of Information Systems Specialist"

Current Employee - Manager of Information Systems in Kingman, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager of Information Systems in Kingman, AZ

I have been working at GEO Group (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to get into the technologies field. You can get hardware, software, server management, and networking. You will be expected to know everything about everything with a circuit board.

Cons

Corporate bureaucracy at it's finest. Slow to purchase necessary equipment to operate the facility. Well bellow average pay for all positions and don't give raises.

Advice to Management

From the standpoint of a local information technologies person you do not take a logical approach to acquisition of technical equipment. Facilities are managed on a contractual basis for a length of time. Equipment should be purchased at the start of a new contract and then replaced at 5 years of age. Not the current standard of 25% per year.

9. "HR Manager"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Hudson, CO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Hudson, CO

I worked at GEO Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working with a diverse team of professional employees.

Cons

There were times we were not able to leave work due to a lockdown, but it is expected when you take a position in this arena.

Advice to Management

Treating staff fairly and equally, regardless of their status, is always a good thing. Everyone needs to feel important and needed. The Warden did a great job at this during my tenure.

10. "Broward Transitional Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pompano Beach, FL

Pros

Great Pay, Great Pay, Great Pay, Great Pay and finally Great Pay.

Cons

Unprofessional and unqualified supervisors. Most of the officers never had formal correctional training and has no scenes of security.

Advice to Management

Hire formally trained correctional officers.

11. "Oklahoma"

Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Lawton, OK
    Current Employee - Correctional Officer in Lawton, OK

Pros

Overtime opportunity very high.
    Provide free breakfast/lunch/dinner.
    Pretty good about breaks.

Cons

Alot of supervisors are very unprofessional and definitely show favoritism.
    Change of uniforms are very uncomfortable as it gets extremely hot also in white so gets dirty very easily considering jails are not clean places.
    Pay is pretty low considering the dangerous and stressful environment you work in.

Advice to Management

When a shift is running smoothly i dont think you guys should switch up the management, especially with new ones that are very power hungry and don't have any concerns for employees. One of the best Jobs I've ever had but once management was switched up completely then I had lost all love and motivation for my job. Also was treated completely different by new supervisors and not in a good way.