GF Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Ken Kochenour

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The senior Management in corporate office has really made some positive changes for the organization" (in 5 reviews)

• "Growth Opportunity, good pay, learn about real business" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company offers little in the way of benefits and could offer a better approach to human resources and work life balance" (in 3 reviews)

• "Need a consolidated HR/Employee benefit stream stemming from the corporate office" (in 4 reviews)

"Great Company !!!"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Itasca, IL

I worked at GF Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company really cares about the associates and development of all managers. They provide us with all the tools and advise we need. Ownership is heavily involved with all aspects of the hotel which is great since it shows they care. The Senior Vice President is a fantastic person, great leader and always available if you need him!! Their benefits package are the best around Chicago land area and wages are superb. I definitely recommend working with/for this company!!

Cons

All is positive!!. Do not need to change anything

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!! You are doing a excellent!!

"A spreadsheet for every thought you have."

Current Employee - Management in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management in New York, NY

I have been working at GF Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When they take over they don't fire everyone. The new leadership at the property is very open about why they are there. Our interim GM is pleasant and knowledgeable.

Cons

Expect 60+ hours a week as a manager. No work-life balance. Every decision that a manager makes has to be approved by the corporate office first. You have to make a decision right away, then wait weeks for approval. The health insurance is the worst I have ever seen. You will be pushed to make the property profitable, which on it's own is great but realize the property will be sold/closed or auctioned in a year and it's all meant to make it look good on paper. You will be going through a major transition again.

Advice to Management

Let your managers manage, not fill out spreadsheets all day.

"Never again"

Former Employee - Conference Services Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Conference Services Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at GF Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing positive about this company

Cons

Did not keep the employees aware of what was going on during the switchover. Poor management. Most are just lawyers. No benefits package.

"do not care about employees"

I worked at GF Management full-time

Pros

some hotels offer good employee dining options

Cons

Most of GF Managements hotel's are in receivership from the bank, meaning their only job is to make the bank money so that they can sell it. If they come in to your hotel LOOK OUT. They offer the worst employment benefits I have ever seen. NO Vacation/PTO/Holiday's off for 1 YEAR! They will provide you the cheapest insurance to them after 90 days of employment... I ended up with a $4,000 deductible plan ($6,000 for family); it was a joke and still cost over $100 a paycheck for a single person. You receive no life insurance, flexible health saving plan, 401k, etc. GF Management can care less about how your hotel runs and will offer no help to employees. They only care to see bottom line revenue growth which they do by instructing the general manager to stop paying bills other than utilities and payroll. If you are an employee who needs work expenses paid, good luck getting it back in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

You are making a bad reputation for your company by treating employees like disposable objects and offering no incentive for them to want to keep working for you.

"STAY AWAY GARBAGE COMPANY"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Chicago, IL

I worked at GF Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are desperate for a check until you find other employment

Cons

They treat Managers like garbage.
    And employees are considered replaceable

Advice to Management

Give Hospitality back to the people that love working in this industry and get out sell all your hotels and swim in your blood money and stop writing fake reviews rating yourself with 5 stars . It’s a insult to the people that want the truth looking for a great opportunity.

"Just...Don’t"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at GF Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Pay can be on higher end versus competitors in some managerial positions (turn over is so high, they have to lure unsuspecting talent in somehow)
    - Opportunities for growth, if you can stomach the foulness
    - Newfound appreciation for former employees upon starting at GF

Cons

Let me first start by saying I do not write this review lightly. But I have never seen a company so seemingly disinterested in creating meaningful and sustainable success, so flagrantly opposed to work life quality, and so mismanaged — in my entire life. I could not in good conscience recommend that ANYONE work for GF unless absolutely desperate for a paycheck.

- Alarming pattern of unethical (and probably illegal) behaviors. This is not a case of a CEO being oblivious to bad actors layers and layers below: this comes from the top and permeates the entire organization
    - Notorious for failing to pay sales bonuses on time (if at all), and then using current performance to reduce or withhold previously earned incentives
    - Rampant sexual misconduct and conflicts of interest ... seriously it’s like the wild wild west.
    - If you are a senior manager who works for an owned property, or are regional VP, be prepared to sacrifice morals, integrity, and the basic tenets of good business regularly
    - A very concerning “rule by fear and intimidation” managerial style, which seems to punish honesty and transparency, fosters a darwinian environment where information is hoarded or concealed from executives to the detriment of all stakeholders and to long-term financial profitability
    - “GF doesn’t believe in HR—that’s what lawyers are for” , senior corporate rep
    - After accepting a job offer, I was unceremoniously warned that the CEO might use the N word (I can’t make this stuff up)
    - No 401k matching, period
    - Yeah, go back and read that part about the N word (what a sales pitch!)

Advice to Management

I happen to believe that profitability and long-term success is the outcome of operating hotels effectively, with sound leadership and vision. It is clear that GFs only priority is to sustain very top heavy executive payrolls and subsidiary “vendor” revenues, at the expense of both operational excellence and profitability. There is no advice I could give GF that would be heeded. I am frankly amazed that they qualify as major brand franchisees or that they have any investors left.

"No Direction, Lacking Leadership"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at GF Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Mon-Fri scheduling (unless you're the Manager-on-duty on the weekends, which I was every weekend because the actual GM lived more than an hour away from our property)

Cons

- No sense of direction or leadership from the property owners (GF Management)
    - Never took heed to the expertise of the hotel staff when it came to ad campaigns, marketing strategies, renovation, B2B strategy
    - Struggled with SWOT analysis which affected their ability to provide adequate resources for the hotel and guests

Advice to Management

Listen to the people you hire, or continue to suffer high employee turnover. Also, the pay could be much better. For my Sales Manager role, I made about $20-25K less than other Sales Managers at competing properties, even with the amount of experience I had.

Bonus structure is dated. The work outweighs the pay and bonus, and there was no sense of appreciation from the higher-ups.

8. "RVP Sales"

I worked at GF Management full-time

Pros

Outstanding and proactive personnel to work with in developing new revenue solutions in the industry

Cons

No real cons to report.

"Worse than 1 Star"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at GF Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really have no pros to add, taking a job with this company was the worst thing I have ever done in my hospitality management career. I was so lucky to go back to an ethical management company that cares about its employees and guests.

Cons

Shady accounting
    Terrible HR practices
    Ethical all around basically
    Put 0 dollars into making their buildings associate and guest friendly
    Out of date Policies and SOPS
    Total Neglect of Brand Standards
    Worst 401k I have seen in the industry
    Such high turnover in Executive Committee, especially general managers
    They will terminate tenured employees... to save a buck or to continue with unethical practices

"Run! Don't Walk Away from this Company"

Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Detroit, MI

I worked at GF Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I honestly cannot think of any pros to working with this company

Cons

Where do I begin?
    First offering an embarrassing amount of pay but also backed it up with "you will have tons of room to grow and move up the ladder." This doesnt happen unless you are a female with specific body parts. The "Leaders" they put in charge of our hotel were some of the most arrogant, self centered, unprofessional people I have ever met. Leading a team by intimidation, threats and passive aggressive insults seems to be the standard. They talk a big game about promoting from within but that only goes to those who are "yes men" and "yes women". Instead of offering help and direction to a struggling team member (and I use the term "team member loosely" they put out a search for a new candidate and blind side the person who is struggling. Even after the individual asked for help and guidance, which never came. Another interesting way they handle their properties is by coming in and saying everyones job here is secure and no one is getting fired. Until they find one of their uneducated buddies who needs a job and they "let some one o due to budget cuts" just to make room.
    I work at a Hospitality Management Company right now who the CEO and COO KNOW MY NAME AND CALL ME BY NAME! Take note, GF. This is called leadership. They know everyone and they really care about their team members and their families.

Advice to Management

If you treat your team members with respect and dignity it is amazing what they will do for you! If you make them feel as if they are part of a team and what they are doing to help the goal of the team they will break their back to make you look good. Leading by intimidation, scare tactics, passive aggression and general lack of care and respect is a perfect recipe for disaster. Take a good hard look at your upper management members, look at how many good people have come and gone within their "leadership" and do some house cleaning. I have specific names for a couple of them but I feel as it will be a waste of time.