GF Sprague Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
GF Sprague President and CEO Jerry Sprague
Jerry Sprague

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Thoroughly Outstanding Sales Training"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Needham, MA

I have been working at GF Sprague full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training process in it's entirety is excellent. There is a very logical approach, a strong system behind it, and the implementation is fun and interactive. You learn about every aspect of sales, including the psychology of building trust. Bob is is professional but also relatable enough to keep you engaged. Jerry is the wizard, he expects a high standard and does everything to make sure you can reach it.

Cons

Maybe having a little more role playing early on would help, but it does make sense to hold off on it until you learn more so it can be more effective role play.

Advice to Management

Maintain that high standard of excellence, and stick with the process because it definitely works! The whole training process has been inspirational and exciting.

2. "A fantastic Company and Great People"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Needham, MA

I have been working at GF Sprague full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is amazing and the work environment is very inviting to every new employee. The people are very collaborative and quick to help when you have a problem. Being able to make extra money through my commissions has been a great incentive. The company has even upgraded my workstation and was willing to set me up to work from home when I needed to.

Cons

You do have to handle a few difficult people over the phone when you're making outbound calls. However each call gives you more experience to handle the next one and prepares you for the future.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide a great work environment and setup your employees with the best office solutions to make them successful.

3. "The Most Fulfilling Job I’ve Ever Had"

I have been working at GF Sprague full-time

Pros

One of the best parts of this job is the great group of people you get to work with every day. The whole team is supportive, helpful, and everyone fits in whether you’ve been here for 3 months or 3 years. The upper management team is very collaborative and willing to work with the rest of the team to solve issues rather than become upset by them. This place is more than a job, it’s a place to start a career.. Not to mention the yearly company trip to Mexico or the DR is a great incentive too!

Cons

You may have to work long hours, but you get out what you put in and you can definitely see the benefit to putting in your time.

Advice to Management

Continue giving people a chance to grow. I started as an intern 5 years ago and I’m now a manager with multiple employees that I personally supervise. That kind of opportunity is rare.

4. "Good luck !"

I worked at GF Sprague full-time

Pros

Other than knowing what to stay away from in future employers, the production guys are great and full of knowledge.

Cons

The other bad reviews on here pretty much cover it. I wrote this just to back them up, since the owner forces employees to write positive reviews constantly to bury the bad ones.
    I worked here doing sales for 4 months a few years ago. It was eye opening to say the least. I've been with a larger and MUCH more profesional company doing the same for 2 yrs now. Another reason for writing this. Sales methods and training are very outdated. Owner is constantly having tantrums which the office is having to endure. Turnover for sales and sales support are high. In the 4 months I was there, 8 in sales, 3in sales support as well as the operations officer left. Browsing the website, quite a few more have left. For a company this size, that is not normal, but indicative of a problem.

Advice to Management

Good luck. Nothing will change as long as the owner plays an active role.

"Great people to work with - excellent company."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Long Beach, CA

I worked at GF Sprague full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in sales for a just a little under 2 years and I definitely learned a lot while I was there. Lots of opportunities to be had if you're willing to work hard and pay attention and listen to the folks that have been with the company for a while. I feel my time there was very well spent and I couldn't have asked for a better crew to a part of.

Cons

I had to leave for California and there just wasn't any way to do the work remotely. I wish they had an office in the So Cal region - if they did I'd surely still be working for them today.

Advice to Management

Your workplace culture is good - when I was there I remember the team being patient, flexible, and willing to teach a relative newbie like I was "the ropes". If that is still the same then there's no reason to change anything.

"Dangerously manipulative, egomaniacal and unstable owner..."

I worked at GF Sprague full-time

Pros

Good support staff and friendly, yet stressed, workers. Solid roofers.

Cons

The owner is impetuous, adversarial, petty and ineffective. It’s very clear that the GM is the real stalwart that drives the success they have and actually runs the company. The owner is more of a burden to his business than a benefit. It seems to be a constant barrage of reactionary decisions on the part of Mr. Sprague and then a whole bunch of decent folks behind him just trying to do their jobs and get through another day keeping up with the madness that he constantly creates. His confusing training platform and ego derail any decenct opportunities that a salesperson could have working there. It was the most bewildering experience of my adult life watching someone do so much harm to their own creation. There are whispers that he doesn’t pay commissions or pays them so late that you can’t make a real paycheck. It was so disorganized that I couldn’t tell if that was on purpose or just through mismanagement. They have a very small sales team made up of mostly new guys and even they seem on the fence about staying. I get a feeling that no one, other than one guy, stays more than a year or so. I grew up around a person like Mr. Sprague. I’ve seen this type of man before. He blames everything on everyone else and tries to manipulate situations and turn them around so that the fault is on others and doesn’t lie where it should... directly on his own shoulders. It’s so sad. It’s almost like he tries to play on people’s emotions while he drains them of their own character, all the while making them pay for it with lower wages and a lesser compensation package than other companies that do the exact same thing. Meetings with him veer off topic and off the rails, he engages in repetitive rants, and his impulsiveness results in half-baked, ill-informed and occasionally reckless decisions that have to be walked back by the staff. Stay away. There are just too many good opportunities out there right now to waste your time dealing with this owner.

Simply not worth the headache for any amount.

Advice to Management

There is a son that they tout as next in line to operate the business. Maybe they should give that avenue some consideration.

7. "Sales support"

Pros

GF Sprague offers a supportive and encouraging environment to work in. Being in sales I was used to jobs that just push you to make your numbers and feeling like no one cares about you as a person and that was never the case here. The integrity of management and coworkers is unmatched.

Cons

There were never any cons, but I wish I didn't move and I could still be working there. I haven't been able to find another job with the same great atmosphere since.

Advice to Management

You have created a great place to work. Don't change.

"Manipulative owner."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Needham, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Needham, MA

I worked at GF Sprague full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Avoid at all costs.

Cons

Compelling your employees to leave positive reviews isn’t a replacement for a positive workplace environment. Convenient how you don’t address your turnover rate and failure to accurractely pay employees in a timely manner. The owner will completely disrespect your appointment calendar, making you relisten to his 3 stories for the 50th time, while you have to go to his house to do so, then has the umbridge to discuss punctuality! The staff schedules hours around any planned interaction with him to account for this. So anytime he’s involved you’ll not only get less appointments you’ll also be late for the few you get. This job is a trap.

Advice to Management

Time for someone to retire.

9. "Learn, Grow and Prosper"

Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at GF Sprague full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Where to start. I have been happily working for GF Sprague for over 10 years and what a ride it has been. The company has a great culture, strong team atmosphere, ample opportunity, and puts their employees first. I have continued to grow both personally and professionally thanks to the leadership team, collegiality, continued training opportunities and ultimately an owner that truly cares about his people. I come to work every day knowing that we provide our customers with an exceptional experience, I earn a good living and something most people can't say, have fun doing it!

Cons

Like any great career, if you want to succeed, you must truly apply yourself but are well compensated for it.

Advice to Management

Keep leading from the front!

"10 Years of the Best Sales Job I've Ever Had"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Needham, MA

I have been working at GF Sprague full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The working environment and schedule are great and they have been for the last 10 years. I always have plenty of leads to keep me going, Commission is always paid on time, and being able to work outside is just an added bonus.

Cons

It can be cold working outside during the winter, and you do have to work late but that's the best time to meet with people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great training to empower sales representatives to succeed in the home.