GFI Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
GFI Software Chief Executive Officer Scott Brighton
Scott Brighton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Boulder Team is a good ole boys club"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at GFI Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None, unless your already a friend their group.

Cons

No creative control or technical control over you work. They just want someone to be heads down coding and do exactly what they tell you without question or comment.

Advice to Management

If you want to bring in new people from outside your original group you need to accept them into the "club" and assume they have good things to contribute.

"Welcome to the graveyard of ambition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, MT

I have been working at GFI Software (More than 8 years)

Pros

I need to fill in 5 characters? None

Cons

Used to be one of the best software companies in Malta - ever since Joe Lehmandt and Aurea took over there has been nothing but bad news. Company is driven by quantity metrics rather then quality metrics. They introduced a tool that every employee has to install on his/her machine which takes a screenshots at 10 min intervals, logs all activity, urls visited and the Top Management still insists this is not a snooping tool. Avoid this company at all costs.

Advice to Management

Stop giving yourselves positions and start respecting the employees - you owe that much to them. And please start coming to work every once in a while if you want to lead by example. Focus on employees not numbers.

"Be loved by management and you will do well"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Products are good but seem to decrease in quality after every release.
    Benefits

Cons

No career management
    No support from management
    No praise for good work

"Love and befriend the management and you will succeed!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Ġwann (Malta)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Ġwann (Malta)

I have been working at GFI Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a good place to learn....but it stops there. No good salaries no possibilities for your career.

Cons

It is not how capable you are, it is not how much knowledge you have it is not how dedicated your are! The only important thing is to have personal friends from the management side. At the start of this year (2014) an employee survey was performed. The results were so bad that the results were not even published.

Advice to Management

Pack your things and get out! You have ruined GFI Software. You are not capable and there are no good reasons for you to remain at the helm of the company. You are light years distant from reality. One day it will bite back and all will be lost.

"GFI is one of a few non-iGaming IT employers in Malta ... it turned out to be my worst career move"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ġwann (Malta)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ġwann (Malta)

I worked at GFI Software full-time

Pros

I have to think hard about the pros, but I guess being a small island, the dress code is very casual and peers are mostly very nice people. The location was (I have read the company has moved into a new office location, and it's not SmartCity Malta) fairly central so easily accessible from wherever you live on Malta ... as long as you have a car. Maybe public transport connections are better now but I am not sure.

Cons

People at GFI Malta do not seem to trust each other. With everything you do your manager will tell you to make sure you cover your back with email trails or the sort. I have been told that this is a standard process for Malta, but whenever you call in sick (which must be done before 9 am) the company will send a doctor to you house!

My biggest gripe with the company however is the extremely, unacceptably, baffling poor wages! How they can justify paying someone with an IT degree and over 10 years experience less than 20k a year is just mind boggling ... but that (and the lenient Maltese corporate tax laws) is unfortunately why they are based in Malta, which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Top management are very poor communicators and Walter (who became CEO while I was there) is an especially odd (but admittedly hard working and smart) cookie ... who unfortunately only cares about pleasing the shareholders and does not give a toss about his Maltese-based staff at all.

During my time there, our excellent team culture was killed by management by abolishing the yearly Christmas party, no more family days, no more after work beers on the roof ... all the fun stuff, poof , gone!

Another thing which - beside the extremely poor salary - is very poor is the fact that lower management seems to be promoted based on who they know and how long they have been at GFI, so their policy is based on seniority and favoritism rather than merit-based promotions which creates even more friction.

Advice to management:
    - remove all Malta management and put in place managers based on competence
    - pay your staff a salary which makes them proud they went to uni and worked hard for years to gain experience and are now giving their all to GFI's cause, underpaying makes you feel dirty, especially when you hear the CEO just bought a new Ferrari or Mercedes SLS
    - and for Pete's sake, put the fun back, work without fun is just not cricket man!

"Once great, not anymore"

I worked at GFI Software (More than 10 years)

Pros

GFI was home for me, the employees were family.

Cons

Now everything has changed, on bare bones salaries, employees are wrung of every drip of blood and sweat that the management can get out of them.

Advice to Management

Call up Nick Galea, he knows how to run GFI.

"Avoid like the Bubonic plague"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Birkirkara (Malta)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Birkirkara (Malta)

I worked at GFI Software (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company was once a true software company, with focus on delivering innovative software products, however the company and its culture was destroyed when it was acquired by the new investors that are milking its profitable products to acquire new companies.

Cons

Constant monitoring using tools such as 'Crossover' and zero trust to employees that have worked with the company for years and in some cases decades. Company places no value the work quality and simply rates people based on arbitrary metrics.

New Management are hacks with no actual talents are just there to line their own products. Due this most senior employees have move elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Stop ruining iconic companyies.

"Terrible - GFI Acquisition of Exinda Networks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at GFI Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything other than the people seemed nice who were trying to execute on the transition plan.

Cons

Acquired our company, said they were likely going to terminate 40-50%, but when it all came down, ended up terminating closer to 80% of all staff. Severance packages are far less than any other organisation I've ever heard of (questionably lower than legal requirement for some) and no respect given to employees, staying or leaving.

Advice to Management

Your goal of "growth through acquisition" is missing one key factor - a soul. You can't have a successful company without people that want to work hard for the common goal.
    Also, your customers are going to be the real ones who suffer. If all you care about is money, you will eventually fail.
    If I am current Exinda Customers, I would quickly look to find an alternative solution with a company that cares about it's people and customers.

"Engineer"

Pros

No odd shift work. People work globally their local time zones and cover round the clock coverage

Cons

-lack of communication
    -lack of direction
    -no transparency
    -no understanding of the company before acquiring it
    -they dont seem to want to understand the product they are acquiring
    -They dont seem to understand the in depth the technology associated with the product
    -Lay-off's >80% - mostly senior technically able and experienced people, just to cut cost and acquire more companies
    -No criteria for keeping people or laying them off.
    -Existing GFI technicians prefer to keep quite instead of asking questions which reflects on their work culture - meaning, you are not free to ask questions.
    -They want to learn the administration, instead of the technology.
    -The people who facilitated the acquisition also seemed like lacked in direction from their management
    -Don't care about customers
    -Bad with responding to employees on time.

Advice to Management

-Try an understand the product, management, company before acquiring
    -Conduct interviews with individuals working at a company to understand what they do before laying them off so atleast the existing functionality is not hindered and customers are not impacted.
    -don't acquire more companies unless you don't understand what the product does

"Modern Day Sweat Shop"

I worked at GFI Software full-time

Pros

I honestly can't think of twenty words that would describe the pros of working for this company.

Cons

Here I can write an entire essay. The company acquired my former employer Exinda and gave a heart-warming speech about how excited they were to move forward together as one company. This was nothing but lies. After they sacked almost 80% of the team, they had the audacity to inform the remaining 20% that they would be installing what is essentially spyware on your laptop. This nifty piece of software records your keystrokes, tracks every website you visit and even goes as far as taking a webcam screenshot of you every 10 minutes. All this under the guise of "measuring productivity". I cant imagine being motivated for a company that treats their employees with this sense of mistrust. Pretty much a modern day corporate sweat shop

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees as humans and get rid of this slave mentality, otherwise close down shop