GFI Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
GFI Software Chief Executive Officer Scott Brighton
Scott Brighton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Aggressive growth dreams"

I worked at GFI Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The dedicated and hardworking employees I interacted with day to day were the most positive aspect of this company. They were mostly located outside the U.S.

Cons

Major middle management and senior leadership change during my time there. Continuous and unstrategic changes in roles, responsibilities and processes made it challenging to bring products to market and compete.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who actually interact with customers, distributors, partners and vendors for business insight.

"Downfall to hell and a sinking ship"

I worked at GFI Software full-time

Pros

None I can think of honestly. Had to write here because there is a minimum of 5 words.

Cons

Before GFI Software was acquired by the Billionaire Joe Liemandt, GFI was the absolute best company to work for. There was no company which was better to work for other than GFI.

When GFI was acquired we had all sorts of promises and only to find out that their master plan was to dismantle all the company to the bare bones structure and try to juice as much as they can from it. They literally closed almost all offices and made almost everyone redundant, Malta was took the biggest impact. We were just like family together, we were like absolute tanks!

step by step they started initiating their monitoring software called crossover which was absolutely the worst thing I have ever seen in my life, not even slave workers are treated like that, what this software does basically it tracks all Keystrokes, all mouse clicks, all open windows, how much time you spent on a certain software, Screenshots every minute and to some people even Webcam shots every 10 minutes. Their next step was moving us to work from home so that they remove running costs of the office. We started working from home at no extra income to cover the extra expenses.

SERIOUSLY? is this how you treat people? Is this your methodology of the right Culture?

We used to have monthly meetings and the part where I was astonished the most is where Scott Brighton compared us to Farmers and IPhone assembly factories :) yes I am not joking FARMERS.

Where is the old GFI I used to love a lot? Do yourself a favour and run away from this company!

Advice to Management

My Advice to management would be simply to remove all management and start from scratch, all management thinks of is their pocket and whats left in it at the end of the month.

Stop treating people like numbers, everyone is human!

"An end to a great Maltese company"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Valletta (Malta)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Valletta (Malta)

I worked at GFI Software full-time

Pros

Prior to being bought by last investor, GFI was once a flagship of top working environment, a place to learn, great employees and to invest in a flourishing career. Best times working here.

Cons

Relying on most important decisions by a number of same old figure heads to promote and drive the company forward was always a bad decision. This mentality never changed and brought the demise to a once beloved Maltese company.

Advice to Management

Please try to give more importance to the employee. An employee is not just a number.

"Amateurs"

I worked at GFI Software full-time

Pros

A nice trip to sunny Malta if you're required to go to head office.

Cons

They are really amateur crowd, Poor professional standards of management and being part of the ESW Capital group mean in many ways. For instance they oversaw mass redundancies on new company being taken over, and treated staff with decades of service by giving the absolute minimum statutory redundancy pay only.

How did they treat a member of staff who had to give up their company credit card in a remote office? They made them make a video of themselves doing so and submit to the company. Can you believe that? This lot to be avoided unless you are desperate for a job.

Advice to Management

Improve your management standards so that you can nurture staff professionally and get the best out of them. What you are currently doing is a million miles away from that standard.

"Termination shortly after being acquired"

I have been working at GFI Software full-time

Pros

After the company I worked for was aquired, the people I dealt with from GFI were professional and sympathetic.

From my understanding, most of the employees (if not all of them) get to work remotely from home with a diverse worldwide team, which is cool.

Cons

I'm not a fan of the 'productivity tool' that remote employees install on their computers.

I'm also not a fan of losing my job.

Advice to Management

Letting go of so many experts for a complicated product that you acquired will likely lead to a poor experience for your customers, and also for your internal teams who inherit the responsibilities of those experts.

"Modern Day Sweat Shop"

I worked at GFI Software full-time

Pros

I honestly can't think of twenty words that would describe the pros of working for this company.

Cons

Here I can write an entire essay. The company acquired my former employer Exinda and gave a heart-warming speech about how excited they were to move forward together as one company. This was nothing but lies. After they sacked almost 80% of the team, they had the audacity to inform the remaining 20% that they would be installing what is essentially spyware on your laptop. This nifty piece of software records your keystrokes, tracks every website you visit and even goes as far as taking a webcam screenshot of you every 10 minutes. All this under the guise of "measuring productivity". I cant imagine being motivated for a company that treats their employees with this sense of mistrust. Pretty much a modern day corporate sweat shop

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees as humans and get rid of this slave mentality, otherwise close down shop

"Engineer"

Pros

No odd shift work. People work globally their local time zones and cover round the clock coverage

Cons

-lack of communication
    -lack of direction
    -no transparency
    -no understanding of the company before acquiring it
    -they dont seem to want to understand the product they are acquiring
    -They dont seem to understand the in depth the technology associated with the product
    -Lay-off's >80% - mostly senior technically able and experienced people, just to cut cost and acquire more companies
    -No criteria for keeping people or laying them off.
    -Existing GFI technicians prefer to keep quite instead of asking questions which reflects on their work culture - meaning, you are not free to ask questions.
    -They want to learn the administration, instead of the technology.
    -The people who facilitated the acquisition also seemed like lacked in direction from their management
    -Don't care about customers
    -Bad with responding to employees on time.

Advice to Management

-Try an understand the product, management, company before acquiring
    -Conduct interviews with individuals working at a company to understand what they do before laying them off so atleast the existing functionality is not hindered and customers are not impacted.
    -don't acquire more companies unless you don't understand what the product does

"Terrible - GFI Acquisition of Exinda Networks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at GFI Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything other than the people seemed nice who were trying to execute on the transition plan.

Cons

Acquired our company, said they were likely going to terminate 40-50%, but when it all came down, ended up terminating closer to 80% of all staff. Severance packages are far less than any other organisation I've ever heard of (questionably lower than legal requirement for some) and no respect given to employees, staying or leaving.

Advice to Management

Your goal of "growth through acquisition" is missing one key factor - a soul. You can't have a successful company without people that want to work hard for the common goal.
    Also, your customers are going to be the real ones who suffer. If all you care about is money, you will eventually fail.
    If I am current Exinda Customers, I would quickly look to find an alternative solution with a company that cares about it's people and customers.

"Technical Support"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Durham, NC

I worked at GFI Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reasonable expectations
    Training at your pace
    Specialists are all very friendly and there to assist and help when they can
    Management is very accommodating

Cons

Understaffed per volume of work, mostly a lack of Tier 2 or above.

Advice to Management

Management was very helpful. You could tell that in many aspects their hands were tied, especially during company takeover. They handled the change with a great deal of grace and empathy.

"Technical Support Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at GFI Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, nice office with amenities, option to work from home

Cons

Lack of communication between departments

Advice to Management

Hold on to your best employees