GGP Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Small scale layoffs are the norm as upper management continues to over and over restructure teams (in 14 reviews)

• Executive team is arrogant and elitist (in 9 reviews)

"Overall great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at GGP (More than a year)

Pros

The company's culture is the best I've experienced - they practice what they preach for the most part. Work-life balance is actually a thing that's valued here. During my time, everyone was very cognizant of life outside of work and you'd often see high-level employees leaving around 5. There also seemed to be more employees than necessary, so work was spread thin and rarely did I see anyone stressed about their work. The company perks were also great, with a subsidized lunch, free gym, and good benefits. The pay is market - not bad, not great.

Cons

There were a lot of management-level employees that had way too much free time on their hands. They also seemed to get meaningless title promotions every year, while the analysts and entry-level employees could go years without any sort of recognition for good work. There was a lack of movement below 'Manager', which resulted in a lot of turnover during my time there. If a lower level employee is performing well for 1-3 years, and you want them to stay, you need to incentivize them. It could be a small raise or even slapping a "senior" on their title. It doesn't require much. The only "promotion" I saw was through attrition.

Advice to Management

There's plenty of fat to be trimmed here, starting with all the Managers through VPs. Incentivize lower-level employees if you want them to stay. Also, the CEO's pay is absolutely absurd

2. "Asset Management Team"

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic

I have been working at GGP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GGP devotes thousands of dollars for team culture events, team collaboration, and strictly team building programs, which is really cool. - As a mechanic I can purchase anything and everything (within reason) I need to conduct my day-to-day business and maintenance, this might be site dependent though. I can work without the headaches and stresses from my boss because he trusts my professional judgment and ability, create my own maintenance schedule, and really make this place a good retail property to shop at - again, site dependent.

Cons

Well, within the last 10 years I think, GGP did away with large maintenance teams and went strictly to a contracting network leaving just a couple guys to look after the day-to-day maintenance. The operations manager sets site projects out for bidding, and then they get approved for a capitalization project, then it may be a couple months to a year before a particular project can get completed. Though spreading the work load to contractors may be a good thing, it’s hard to maintain a site without that knowledge of the project being completed by contractors (i.e. labor man-hours, parts specs, vendors, etc.) So, 3-10 years down the road where a key component may break/fail, you wouldn't necessarily be able to fix it immediately, you would have to try to contact the contractor to either provide part numbers, or replace the component. Since it is an unplanned expense, the cost for the contract team may go through the roof, and then there is system down time, etc. With all that being said, the full-time maintenance/operations team for the property is relatively small. I say the word “team” loosely though. Having a military background – this “team” doesn’t compare. I find it difficult because I am stuck with two faces: my boss, and my co-worker. This leaves a lot to be desired because my co-worker and I don’t necessarily see eye to eye all the time. So when there are those days (most days) where you may not agree with one another, there is an unpleasing tension and buildup of frustration or anger. As I try to maintain my military bearing, I don’t say the things I should because I have to deal with that same person each day. I’ve gone to the boss and shared my gripes, however, there is little to nothing he can do or little he wants to do about the situation because he thinks it has yet to reach a point where he needs to take greater action necessary. Meanwhile, over the last several months, my patience has dwindled, and frustration grew, just due to the constant conflict and differences which compels me to leave my position sooner rather than later. I can’t seem to catch any relief. Anyway, if you work well with a team like I do (military side), great, this might not be the team you are looking for though. Some days your boss and co-worker might not show up and you won’t receive a call or text stating so. There’s a lack of communication in that regard, let alone day-to-day ops. I’m just the little man, the mechanic; I’m to blame according to my co-worker. There is nothing further I can do but to leave. If GGP still had a large maintenance team, at least there would be varying interaction with other individuals and a problem or conflict would get resolved rather than sat on for the duration of your career. HADTO quit. Rangers lead the way.

Advice to Management

Its the way of the world now. No one wants to pay for someone's retirement, so hire contractors instead, even though those guys will make millions off your company, but it's a really good idea over the long run. -ughhh

3. "Need to adopt mobility strategy..."

Pros

Top S&P 500 publicly traded real estate investment trust with lots of top shopping centers in great locations around the US.

Cons

Upper management doesn't allow for a remote workforce. GGP management isn't forward thinking and flexible when it comes to telecommuting.

Advice to Management

Change is everywhere and employees are mobile. Please consider a corporate-wide policy to put a mobile workforce strategy in place to meet the needs of your employees. Some of the benefits of a policy such as this is optimization of employee productivity and work/life balance. It could also increase employee retention and help attract new staff!

4. "Lease Accounting"

I worked at GGP full-time

Pros

personal gym, cafateria, benefit package, location, & skydeck

Cons

Company goals were clearly convey to its main stakeholders. No trust between Management and staff. No room for advancement unless you're apart of the in crowd. High turn over rate within the company due to poor management team.

Advice to Management

Look into the communication breakdown at mid-level management. This seems to be a recurring problem under the new Sr Level Management team.

5. "Treasury Analyst"

Pros

Very fun environment. Great people to work with and flexible with work/life balance.

Cons

I personally did not prefer the downtown location.

Advice to Management

Nothing bad to say about management.

6. "Intern"

Pros

Great Culture, Really enjoyed working there over the summer, Involved with management almost right away

Cons

None really enjoyed my internship

7. "Good Company"

Pros

Benefits and pay are great!

Cons

Poor communication between corporate office and field properties. Downsizing is always a threat. Executives are out of touch with what field jobs entail.

8. "A/R Department-Cash"

Current Employee - Cash Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Cash Accountant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GGP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, onsite gym

Cons

Not promoted if you are not a favorite,,, unreasonable expectations and processes change every few months.

Advice to Management

Upper management should talk to the staff instead of the department managers to get feed back to what's going on. Promote from within based on the employee's work not relationship with department managers.

9. "Manager, Leasing"

Pros

Good people and great place to work. Lots of freedom to go out and work on your own.

Cons

Not a lot of direction for someone who needs supervision.

"GGP is great"

I have been working at GGP full-time

Pros

Great culture and a strong value on growing interpersonal togetherness. There is certainly a good feeling of excellence with younger and newer employees.

Cons

bureaucracy can stifle growth. The problem with getting things done is that sometimes you have to hold multiple meetings with a few people to start a process to get one task done that impacts a few. This isn't ubiquitous but in some departments this does occur.

Advice to Management

Please continue the good work. from where i stand currently, steps are being taken to solve many of the complaints and problems we're facing.