GISI Marketing Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Eben Swett

"Great People!"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GISI is an amazing place to work. We have great people and provide great services. I usually don't post to forums, but feel it's important to counter some of the negative and untrue information posted by a person who used to work here for a short while.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to share.

"Toxic environment"

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

Two things:
    It is a job
    Coworkers are nice for the most part

Cons

Where do I begin? GISI is the type of company you'd work for only if you were desperate for a job. It doesn't matter how smart, driven, positive, and hardworking you are. You will, at some point, get fired for no reason. The only people that stick around for so long are the ones who are essentially brainwashed. I saw 10 people go in two months. Every time someone would get fired, it would be out of the blue. Please have some self respect and don't work for such terrible people. The "values" they go by are complete bull and somewhat covers up the fact that they are manipulative and evil.
    Please have some respect for yourself and stay away from this company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "Values" book. It only makes you look stupid because of how many people you leave jobless for no reason.

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will pay you actual US dollars for doing a job (albeit below the standard market rate for many comparable industry positions).

They're usually pretty quick to hire!

They offer benefits. See "cons" section for details.

Most of the time they're flexible about scheduling.

Lots of very average corporate/small business things about the workplace - they pay overtime, provide lunch breaks, you get PTO.

I learned the importance of reporting ethical concerns to HR.

You'll meet some genuinely nice people.

Cons

***If you're LGBTQ+ or a half decent ally, don't work here unless you're desperate for money. The people who work there are professional(ish) about those identities, but you'll print and disseminate lots of pro-conversion therapy/anti-gay/anti-trans materials for churches.***

Poor Management:

One time, the CEO of the company came into the front lobby, and started loudly accusing all of the women there of sticking a key into an electrical socket. He then called one employee "crazy" in front of the entire company. This was not the first or last inappropriate remark made to a young female employee. Fairly often, behavioral concerns were handled in a common space in a way that served to belittle or humiliate lower level employees, individually or as a group.

We were told that their goals for 2016 were not business related, but about "weeding out negative people" and were told to prove our worth and to report any underperforming coworkers to management.

The CEO looked a former employee up on social media to find out where she was working, and when he suspected that clients followed her to her new place of work, he called a meeting and threatened to sue her in front of current employees.

HR will set up the benefits, but won't troubleshoot any issues.

They don't provide any training or have any available comprehensive company policy on regulations (copyright, etc) for producing any materials and no one there knows anything about it either, so if you do end up working there, make sure you push them to invest in your time to learn those things.

If you do decide to work there, make sure you report inappropriate workplace interactions to HR so you have events on an official record!

To wrap up, I'll echo this from other reviews - at least some of the positive reviews on here were asked for by upper management (as told to me by more than one Lead after having been asked to write them). And they’re true on some level. If you can do the job to their specifications, you will get paid, and if you continue to do that consistently, you may be able to work there for what some people would consider a career.

There IS a lot of change, the problem is that not all of it is well thought out, even less is usably communicated, and very little aligns with industry standards, which makes adapting to it needlessly difficult even for smart, dedicated employees.

There are nice, intelligent, creative people there. But the career employees aren't really an exclusive team of elites/ the only ones with enough character and skill to weather the storm, so much as a team of competent, well intentioned people with a ridiculously high tolerance for toxic environments (more commonly phrased as having a "positive attitude").

You're worth more than this.

Advice to Management

If it's about personal satisfaction for you, you're not living your values, so take some classes on how to create a healthy work environment. If it's about money, just go ahead and sell the company to someone who knows how to run a printing business.

5. "Not great."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regular and lower level employees are friendly and you may find some genuine friendships during your daily grind.

Cons

High turnover. The make you do everything from playing secretary, designing, running the cash register, all while printing and binding projects for very little pay. Higher ups are not very genuine and it was rumored that they were very connected to strongly opinionated christian groups like Young Life.

Advice to Management

Please separate your corporate values from your personal ones. Also attempt to break tasks up at each store so people aren't so overwhelmed.

"Fun and busy"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome, and it's a very busy atmosphere. The past couple years we've seen a lot of changes - most all are improvements. Very much a team atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are a bit irregular - with shortened shifts during some of the slower days, but it balances out with OT opportunities on busier days. Negative attitudes don't jive well with the environment, and typically don't last long.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on hiring good and positive people.

"Come for the job, but stay for the people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have loved working here, the people here are like family. We work together as a team, get silly, and support each other during times of stress. I've been here 3+ years and not had a problem with management, sure sometimes things get a little crazy, but what job does not have that.

A great place to learn about printing and production. A better place if you have an understanding of these things and can put them to use here. If you know you stuff and are willing to work, have a personality, and a sense of humor this is the place for you.

Cons

Sometimes, when crazy times hit, the tension can be felt throughout the company. Not a bad thing because it means we are busy. You need to have the moxie to hold on to your cool and ride it out. Things always get back to normal.

"Enjoy going to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love spending time with our associates. There are so many creative juices flowing through that it makes an exciting and enthusiastic environment within the group. The company values make this possible by caring for each other, celebrating the good things and having the leadership qualities installed in each of us to help make decisions in the best interest for the whole team.

Cons

Training can sometimes be a little difficult as there are so many specialties housed in one company that a general training course cannot possibly encompass each specialty. Training generally occurs on the job with the leader of that specialty. Other than the unique training within this company, I can't find cons with the culture or leadership as these are the areas I most enjoy about working for this company.

Advice to Management

We have great leaders in management as I can witness everyday, however, many of the locations don't have the opportunity to witness it as often. I suggest these leaders spend more time at the centers, so that they can benefit from the inspiration I have enjoyed for the 10+ years being around these inspiring leaders.

"Under paid and not told important pay information upon hire."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience for first time designers. You get to learn about the print industry. You get to work with good people.

Cons

Pay is very low compared to industry standard for a graphic designer. Not truly a marketing company as the name suggests. You won't really be doing graphic design it's mainly receiving PDF 's of other people's work and hitting print. This is a print store like Kinko's or office max. Only about 5% is actually doing true design work. As for industry standard goes for marketing and design this company is lacking. Most managers don't have a background in design or marketing. This company only pays once a month and won't tell you that during your interview or hiring day.

Advice to Management

Hire managers with a design management background or art direction. Pay your designers industry standard pay. Tell people you interview important details of the job and pay.

"Hard Working and Caring Organization"

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

GISI Marketing Group is made up of hard working folks that really care for fellow associates and clients. Growth opportunities are available and encouraged. There is a definite focus on what is important to the associates and their goals.

Cons

The environment is a very busy one, and at times can feel overwhelming. Asking for help is always encouraged, and there is a network of folks lined up to provide the help.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked here 10 years now and found it a great place to work.
    Have made a good living for my kids and myself here and at times have felt like part of a family.

Cons

Challenging and at times stressful but I am better person for it.

Advice to Management

Try not making employees feel like mistakes are one step closer to getting fired. Help employees learn from mistakes and help them grow from them and not feel defensive.