GISI Marketing Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great People!"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GISI is an amazing place to work. We have great people and provide great services. I usually don't post to forums, but feel it's important to counter some of the negative and untrue information posted by a person who used to work here for a short while.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to share.

2. "Move along, not worth it"

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

Co-workers overall were great to work with

Cons

Pay cuts, required to learn new skills with no increase in compensation, stress, pressure

"Quicksand! Stick with GISI Ink and Sink!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing lower level employees, some of the hardest working people you'll ever meet. Genuine people in the front office and warehouse, you'll feel like you served in war with them by the end of your employment, because you have. See Cons.

Cons

I used to work for this so called "marketing" group. They know as much about marketing as a sea urchin. They'll grind you to the stone, care very little about loyalty and pretend like they have your best interests in mind (lies). Do you like time travel, because you'll age 10 years in 1 year of being there. Upper management like to sit in their ivory tower scheming about ways to drum up business which usually amounts to making their works cold call. SAD! They rather you work your regular 8 hour shift, and still find 2 hours in your day to make sales calls and bring in new business. Make a $3 dollar mistake and upper management will come crashing down on your harder than the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing your workers. Stop forcing them to do ridiculous tasks on top of their already overloaded schedules. Listen to your employees.

"Toxic environment"

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

Two things:
    It is a job
    Coworkers are nice for the most part

Cons

Where do I begin? GISI is the type of company you'd work for only if you were desperate for a job. It doesn't matter how smart, driven, positive, and hardworking you are. You will, at some point, get fired for no reason. The only people that stick around for so long are the ones who are essentially brainwashed. I saw 10 people go in two months. Every time someone would get fired, it would be out of the blue. Please have some self respect and don't work for such terrible people. The "values" they go by are complete bull and somewhat covers up the fact that they are manipulative and evil.
    Please have some respect for yourself and stay away from this company.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the "Values" book. It only makes you look stupid because of how many people you leave jobless for no reason.

"Not Worth It"

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will pay you actual US dollars for doing a job (albeit below the standard market rate for many comparable industry positions).

They're usually pretty quick to hire!

They offer benefits. See "cons" section for details.

Most of the time they're flexible about scheduling.

Lots of very average corporate/small business things about the workplace - they pay overtime, provide lunch breaks, you get PTO.

I learned the importance of reporting ethical concerns to HR.

You'll meet some genuinely nice people.

Cons

***If you're LGBTQ+ or a half decent ally, don't work here unless you're desperate for money. The people who work there are professional(ish) about those identities, but you'll print and disseminate lots of pro-conversion therapy/anti-gay/anti-trans materials for churches.***

Poor Management:

One time, the CEO of the company came into the front lobby, and started loudly accusing all of the women there of sticking a key into an electrical socket. He then called one employee "crazy" in front of the entire company. This was not the first or last inappropriate remark made to a young female employee. Fairly often, behavioral concerns were handled in a common space in a way that served to belittle or humiliate lower level employees, individually or as a group.

We were told that their goals for 2016 were not business related, but about "weeding out negative people" and were told to prove our worth and to report any underperforming coworkers to management.

The CEO looked a former employee up on social media to find out where she was working, and when he suspected that clients followed her to her new place of work, he called a meeting and threatened to sue her in front of current employees.

HR will set up the benefits, but won't troubleshoot any issues.

They don't provide any training or have any available comprehensive company policy on regulations (copyright, etc) for producing any materials and no one there knows anything about it either, so if you do end up working there, make sure you push them to invest in your time to learn those things.

If you do decide to work there, make sure you report inappropriate workplace interactions to HR so you have events on an official record!

To wrap up, I'll echo this from other reviews - at least some of the positive reviews on here were asked for by upper management (as told to me by more than one Lead after having been asked to write them). And they’re true on some level. If you can do the job to their specifications, you will get paid, and if you continue to do that consistently, you may be able to work there for what some people would consider a career.

There IS a lot of change, the problem is that not all of it is well thought out, even less is usably communicated, and very little aligns with industry standards, which makes adapting to it needlessly difficult even for smart, dedicated employees.

There are nice, intelligent, creative people there. But the career employees aren't really an exclusive team of elites/ the only ones with enough character and skill to weather the storm, so much as a team of competent, well intentioned people with a ridiculously high tolerance for toxic environments (more commonly phrased as having a "positive attitude").

You're worth more than this.

Advice to Management

If it's about personal satisfaction for you, you're not living your values, so take some classes on how to create a healthy work environment. If it's about money, just go ahead and sell the company to someone who knows how to run a printing business.

6. "Not great."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Portland, OR

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regular and lower level employees are friendly and you may find some genuine friendships during your daily grind.

Cons

High turnover. The make you do everything from playing secretary, designing, running the cash register, all while printing and binding projects for very little pay. Higher ups are not very genuine and it was rumored that they were very connected to strongly opinionated christian groups like Young Life.

Advice to Management

Please separate your corporate values from your personal ones. Also attempt to break tasks up at each store so people aren't so overwhelmed.

"Fun and busy"

Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Client Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome, and it's a very busy atmosphere. The past couple years we've seen a lot of changes - most all are improvements. Very much a team atmosphere.

Cons

Sometimes the hours are a bit irregular - with shortened shifts during some of the slower days, but it balances out with OT opportunities on busier days. Negative attitudes don't jive well with the environment, and typically don't last long.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on hiring good and positive people.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

I have had a really positive experience working at GISI thus far. What I see is a company that is always changing, always growing, and is always looking out for their clients. I work with awesome people, involved in a lot of cool projects, and feel I have a positive work environment to operate within. The owners of this company really take serious interest in their associates by keeping the growth and goals of associates in mind when making big decisions. This is a hard thing to come by in companies nowadays, and I'm confident that I will reach my own personal goals when working here. The company is interested in getting people towards where they want to go so they can have careers here, and are willing to take people on even if they don't have much experience.

One thing that really sets this place apart is the team aspect. We are all part of one big team here and are all focused on producing awesome work for our clients. A lot of places focus on things things that "you need to do", but here its focused on what "we need to do". That team aspect is great and I often get help from other departments to help supplement my own when I need it. I feel everyone has my back here which is a great feeling.

Overall, I'm having a great experience here and would recommend this place to anyone!

Cons

Things do change pretty frequently around here, so having an open mind towards change is important. People do get negative sometimes with change so a thicker skin is needed to fight off bad attitudes occasionally. I haven't seen anything abnormal compared to other work places, but every work place will have its quirks and things that need adjusting, but for the most part things are good here and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

"Come for the job, but stay for the people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at GISI Marketing Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have loved working here, the people here are like family. We work together as a team, get silly, and support each other during times of stress. I've been here 3+ years and not had a problem with management, sure sometimes things get a little crazy, but what job does not have that.

A great place to learn about printing and production. A better place if you have an understanding of these things and can put them to use here. If you know you stuff and are willing to work, have a personality, and a sense of humor this is the place for you.

Cons

Sometimes, when crazy times hit, the tension can be felt throughout the company. Not a bad thing because it means we are busy. You need to have the moxie to hold on to your cool and ride it out. Things always get back to normal.

"A Life of Mediocrity"

I worked at GISI Marketing Group full-time

Pros

I found during my time at GISI that most of the associates are decent and likable -- with some exceptions, naturally. Being this was my first full time job out of college, the benefits seemed decent enough, although I did not get much of a chance to utilize them nor do I have anything to compare them to. The position I was filling as a "floater" between the five or so locations allowed for at least a little variety. And if nothing else, I came away knowing more about print media than when I started.

Cons

Listen, I will be the first to admit that I was probably not the best fit for GISI. However, I can say with certainty that I have never been unhappier in my life than the time period when I was working there and this job was the biggest contributing factor.

Most often I found the job to be eight hours of soul-sucking, monotonous, trivial, spread-sheet-making and printer-tray-feeding drivel with two hours of commuter traffic book-ending the entire experience. Other times, I'm being sent to the CEO for a secret "special assignment" that turns out to be cleaning out trash cans and an old sink in my nicest Allen Edmonds. Sweet, make sure to keep that "special assignment" secret so I won't dress appropriately for janitorial work.

And while most associates are decent people, you can leave the accounting department off that list. In one of the most truly bizarre, childish displays of unprofessionalism I have ever seen in my life, the entire accounting department conspired against me to start an elementary school style rumor over a missed phone call. I wish I was making this up. It was honestly baffling.

Also, don't let the incredibly unwieldy name fool you. GISI seems to be less about marketing and more about printing other companies junk mail and training manuals. Your entire day as a "CSR" can be summed up as: get email from an inept client; download .pdf attachment; fill out a spreadsheet; load paper into a printer; hit print; repeat for eight hours. Great. So fulfilling.

Despite all of that GISI is not an awful company, but it is a supremely mediocre one as far as I can tell. Joseph Heller wrote about a certain character in Catch-22 saying,

"Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three."

And really, I can't think of a more fitting quote for GISI as a whole. GISI is all three. There is something amazingly awful about that in and of itself.

Advice to Management

For the love of God, change the name. Graphics Interface Systems Incorporated Marketing Group (... or was it Global Imaging Systems Incorporated Marketing Group? Whatever). Say that out loud. Either one. That really rolls of the tongue, doesn't it? Think about the greats; the biggest names of our time: Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, Amazon ... Graphics Interface Systems Incorperated Marketing Group doesn't really sound like a name destined for greatness. Even the abbreviation is atrocious. Saying "JEE-EYE-ESS-EYE Marketing Group" is ridiculous by itself.

Also the "Values" are just corny and generic. Nothing makes me feel more like a bottom line than weird "values" written by out of touch old white dudes and speeches about "leaders instead of managers". No man, you aren't leaders. You're managers. You're Major Major. Call it what it is and show me a little intellectual respect as a human. Let people do their jobs and let them be people. You know what time is better spent on than memorizing 6 words (sorry "values")? Work. Although preferably not here.