GKN Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nigel M. Stein

Pros
  • big company, good people and working hours ok (in 10 reviews)

• Mainly great people across all plants (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Male orientated senior management team who award incompetence rather than ability and hard work (in 4 reviews)

• In my opinion they displayed poor leadership (in 3 reviews)

"Prepare to work at least 6 days a week"

Current Employee - Assembly Operator in Newton, NC
    Current Employee - Assembly Operator in Newton, NC

I have been working at GKN full-time

Pros

The work is easy and people are very nice and friendly. The pay is also good for what you are doing, holiday pay is double time plus time and a half

Cons

Some of the lines get holidays off and some lines don't. I am working on a line and we had to come in on good Friday and Easter Sunday tomorrow while 85% of the rest of the plant is off. And I don't holiday pay since I am a temp. Plus you have to work at least 6 days a week, some lines don't have a day off at all

"Draining"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at GKN full-time

Pros

Some very knowledgeable people still work here (somehow).

Cons

What sad state of affairs. In all my years I have never encountered such a quagmire.

MRP is not used effectively, Operations builds what will help them meet revenue, not what's due to customers.

MRB backlog is not to be believed, parts are not scrapped so they don't have to be written off.

Other turn over comments are true only because anyone being held responsible can only take beatings for so long before there are fed up and give up.

Benefits are mediocre at best. Employee recognition primarily consists of meager give cards to a gas station convenience store.

Advice to Management

Change the company slogan from "Engineering that moves the world" to "Engineering that moves the world to seek employment and products somewhere else"

"Worst place I have ever worked!"

Former Employee - Associate Quality Engineer in Tallassee, AL
    Former Employee - Associate Quality Engineer in Tallassee, AL

I worked at GKN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None absolutely nothing good to say about this company most people that work there don't know any better.

Cons

This company grossly under pays its employees. Management only seems to be concerned with there next bonus or next higher position. Company takes advantage of small towns has a great deal of scrap and is very disorganized. Management works on the good old boy system and is very incompetent.

Advice to Management

Put your people first and start paying to industry standards

5. "people bully eachother and the factory is extremley unsafe"

Former Employee - Shift Chief Operating Officer in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Chief Operating Officer in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at GKN (More than a year)

Pros

Very unsafe!! A person got there arm crushed

Cons

Lots of work because your coworkers sabotage the factory to shut it down. The people are terrible human beings. TRUMP LOVERS!

Advice to Management

Get new management. They are lost! They have no idea what's going on.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Amityville, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Amityville, NY

I have been working at GKN (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, work, Great Site Leader. Great HR, Family Day, exciting facility

Cons

Less Change, More Security, able to move up, More Cooperation

Advice to Management

Please listen to your staff. They are the bread and butter of the company

7. "Career Purgatory"

Former Employee - White Collar Professional in Garden Grove, CA
    Former Employee - White Collar Professional in Garden Grove, CA

I worked at GKN full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked at GKN Garden Grove for roughly a year and a half. The pros are this:
    A) The Team there makes a great and interesting product; B) For defense products, it's as if you are contributing effort to the Country; C) Extremely safety conscious; D) There are some really genuinely good people there.

Cons

GKN is a British company, and the site is treated like a fiefdom in a very feudal organization. Employees are treated as serfs and the British lords are merely extracting dollars.

One star is being generous, GKN Garden Grove is quite possibly the worst place I have ever worked. I considered it employment purgatory, as if I was in a form of career wilderness. If you can avoid ever working for GKN, I recommend that you do so.

Management is in complete disarray, the only focus is on getting product out the door and making money. There are parts of business that consistently take up the slack of others that are failing miserably. There is no actual focus on correcting the failing parts of the business.

Hourly employees are forced to work six to seven days a week…every week.

Those with decades of experience, that come from the outside, are treated as if their IQ is well below average. There is a lot of finger-pointing and blame placing. It’s always, “Whose fault is it?”, “Who can we blame?”, “Who can we excoriate in front of their peers?”.

The workload? Holy crap is it enormous. So large that it really isn’t really possible to complete anything 100%, to a level that would be deemed acceptable anywhere else. If you can imagine the workload as an iceberg, and 1% of it is above the surface as being completed in a poor fashion, and 99% of it being completed at a level that resembles something like right, the focus is on the 1%, and not in a good way. Employees are heavily criticized for the 1% of what they have done wrong, and constantly asked “What have you done for me lately?”.

Priorities? They change by the minute and EVERYTHING is a priority, from the smallest thing to the largest, they are all at the same level. It is management by "whack a mole".

The benefits? The benefits are not on par with the real world. Starting with salary, the Company is notoriously cheap, so, dependent on your skill level, expect to be making roughly 10% less than you would anywhere else. Additionally, salaries are not awarded based on actual merit or experience level or even how long you have worked for GKN as a global organization. Salary is based on how long you have worked at that particular site. Which in sense is good, as it rewards seniority, but bad as there are potential recruits from the outside that can and do bring a lot to the table. 401K, uh, it’s just okay, there is matching, however, you have to work there 2 years to get 100%, there is not yearly vesting plan like most places in the real world. Medical and dental? The per paycheck deduction is awesome, that is until you realize how much your portion of the bill is when you actually go to the doctor or dentist (very high deductible). There is an option for a 9-8-80 work week, but most employees end up working on their RDO's.

There is a lot of training and conversation around how to treat colleagues, but Management doesn’t follow any of that. There is lots of training and conversation around lean, and making the business better, and more efficient, but again, Management only cares about getting product out the door and filling the coffers, so whether or not lean plans are implemented doesn’t really matter. Processes are meant to hold people, “accountable”. Accountability is defined as, “Who can we blame?”. Not as a way to actually fix anything.

Advancement? Forget about it.

If you are in the white collar part of the business, tools to do your job? The place is in the dark ages where technology is concerned. The main piece of software was originally published in early 1980’s and pretty much the entire business is run on Excel. Want a second monitor? Pffff…..good luck with getting something that costs $120. Laptops? Unheard of, everyone is on desktops.

Everyone is replaceable. For example, if a person arrives at this Company with 10+ years of experience, works there for a few years and leaves, Management thinks that they can just plug and play. Just hire someone, plug a gap and move on. There is zero consideration for how long it will actually take to get up to speed, do the job right. There is no thought to the cost of replacement.

Gratitude? There is no gratitude for a good day’s work. Management will say, “Thank you”, but the sentiment is hollow.

GKN Garden Grove is a place where careers go to die. If you want to be a cog in a machine, and you want to be treated like dirt, then this is the place for you.

Have a nice day.

Advice to Management

Way too much to list here. The place is in need of a complete revamp. The focus needs to be adjusted. Changes need to be culturally, technologically, and so on. Maybe shift gears and focus less on just driving people and focus on taking care of the employees so they will in turn take care of the Company. Good luck.

8. "Not a good place for an CNC/designengineer"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GKN full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workplace is easy to find

Cons

Thay have a culture anyone in the Sovjet Union would have been proud of: repressive, deceitfull, devious, non-copoerative, 30% rework because of 28 year old worn out machines they never replace, do it the smae way as allways, don't rock the boat, stick to the little guy, favoitarize the Swedes, set the pee-on up to fail and blame them for you own mistakes.

Advice to Management

Make lies, obstruction, entrapment and so on have consequenses. Ensure new equiopment is bought, treat everyone equally,favor an oppen an honest dialoge.

9. "GKN Hoeganaes"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Nashville, TN

I worked at GKN (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time working for GKN Hoeganes as an intern. I gained valuable experience and knowledge in industry. The people are friendly and the place is maintained clean. GKN Hoeganaes really cares for their employees.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about the company.

10. "Manufacturing Engineering Intern"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Manchester, CT
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Manchester, CT

Pros

A lot of freedom from management to work on projects and they put a lot of trust in you to get important tasks done ranging from fixtures to shop layouts.

Cons

They dont pay as well as other companies.

Advice to Management

Higher entry level pay will promote worker involvement.

11. "Program manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at GKN full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

a culture built on allowing young talent to thrive

Cons

struggles to see the world in a way that aligns with the new generation

Advice to Management

think outside of the box and try to embrace a culture built on risk and techniques that set you apart from the competition