GL Huyett Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "QA Manager"

Current Employee - QA Manager in Minneapolis, KS
    Current Employee - QA Manager in Minneapolis, KS

Pros

Love the vision of the company. The people are great to work with.

Cons

I do not have any cons

"Exciting Time!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, KS

I have been working at GL Huyett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Recent acquisition has sparked a lot of exciting work and possibilities at G.L. Huyett! The people are what make the Company. The Company has a lot of hard working people who work together as a team for the common good. Changes to recent ship times and a fully staffed team have helped with work/life balance. The Company is the only employer in the area that I know of that is still providing free healthcare to employees and dependents. Numerous company events that provide a venue for families to meet and hang out together. A very fast paced culture with high expectations, but employees are paid and rewarded for performance.

Cons

Do need a bigger break room, but there are plans in place to expand that area.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Progressive and profitable"

I have been working at GL Huyett full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is progressive and revolutionary. Unlike most companies, the technology and data of this company lead to performance evaluations being more objective than subjective. Executives display financials on a quarterly basis showing the profitability, while salary ranges for each job title are openly displayed next to Human Resources. Each employee has the ability to contribute to the success of the company and implement suggestions, as well as partake in the interview process and provide feedback for prospective employees. Benefits which include quarterly profit sharing, company-subsidized health care with options (free for certain plans), 401(k) plan company match, and company Royals/Chiefs tickets for employee use. Though living 2.5 hours away, the CEO is onsite at least 2-3 days a week and is actively involved. Professional development and learning opportunities allow for job and skill development.

Cons

The location requires a 25-40 minute drive for most of the workforce, which isn't enjoyable in the winter and does contribute to additional expenses worth planning for. I suppose that if the break room and bathroom sizes are important to you, those could be a negative. Personally, I'm more concerned about profitability, benefits, and professional development (see "Pros"). It's not easy, but it's rewarding. Though companies aren't profitable as a result of easy work.

Advice to Management

Work/Life balance and staffing have improved over the last 3 months. Thank you for listening and please don't allow this to change.

"Culture of Excellence"

I have been working at GL Huyett full-time

Pros

This has been my best job experience thus far. The pay is great, the benefits go on and on, and the people are so welcoming. I have never seen a company where communication is more valued. The CEO visits each department on a weekly basis, departmental huddles occur daily, and each VP provides a monthly update on all happenings. All opinions are respected and taken into consideration. Issues are not swept under the rug or ignored, but taken as constructive criticism. The company continues to surprise me with the amount of opportunities they provide, and their constant efforts at improving. I really cannot say enough about how highly I think of GL Huyett as an employer. Additionally, at the risk of sounding like a 90's boy band fanatic, the CEO is really an inspiration. He cares about his employees, his organization, and his community on a level that is unparalleled in the world of big business and free market capitalism.

Cons

Driving on the interstate in the snow/ice is not my favorite thing to do. I definitely have to pay attention to my gas gauge more than before but it doesn't take long to get used to that. Plus, the pay makes up for the extra gas, and then some. I thought I would really dislike not being able to run errands in Salina on my lunch break, but I'm actually much happier now that I pack my lunch every day and can actually spend my whole break visiting with coworkers instead of sitting in traffic and scarfing down a cheeseburger in the parking lot before rushing back inside.

Advice to Management

My experience with Management has been nothing but positive. They are always there to help and are very interested in making sure your position offers the right balance of contentment and challenge. My advice: keep on keepin' on.

"Great place to work"

I worked at GL Huyett full-time

Pros

The people. G.L. Huyett has amazing people in almost all departments, but especially in sales, warehouse and shop. Warehouse positions work in typical warehouse environments and can be uncomfortable in summer and winter months - but overall, you are given the opportunity to move up or learn additional skills if you would like to pursue a more office environment. Learning and development are a huge focus here which is a plus in my opinion. Sales/customer service are great positions that are fast paced, but more knowledge and computer skills are a must. Pay is competitive with like jobs in the area, and benefits, while I wish they were better - are equivalent to the area as well.
    I like quarterly evaluations and profit sharing is a great.
    CEO is engaged and driven. He works part time from his home office and part time in the office on-site. However, he is engaged at all times.

Cons

Some people at the company have a self-entitlement attitude. While this is limited, and the majority of the people are wonderful...it is there.
    Human Resources is intrusive, provide feedback on several subjects in which they are not subject matter experts or strongly skilled at, and are not trusted by the majority of the organization. Upper level management fails to notice this fact. There have been times when confidentiality has not been upheld, they have poorly managed, and managers are forced to spend a lot of time with additional focus on dress code vs. actual performance. Human resources thinks it is a part of life to not be well liked, however, every company besides Huyett has had wonderful, supportive HR departments that at times had to be the bad guy when necessary but was a trusted partner in an organization. Not here.
    Work/life balance is harder for the warehouse and shop. They do get overtime, which is something rarely offered to any other department - but I am sure it gets old.

Advice to Management

Put the human back in human resources.
    Pay is comparable to the Salina area - but many people leave because they could make the same amount closer to home. Consider bumping salaries to compensate for the drive. While small, it could help with recruitment efforts.

"If you want to enjoy life, DON'T work here."

I have been working at GL Huyett full-time

Pros

Alleged profit sharing (which is far below the projection for the year) and is tied to your HR opinionated performance evaluation.

Health Care is free if you have a spouse and a child but if you are simply married you have to pay for the rest of your family.

Hours are available if you do not value work life balance. Actually, they are available even if you do, you just don't get the work life balance!

Cons

01. Recruiting is sub-par. The company has an allocated head count of 5 HR representatives and currently only staffs 3. They are slow to screen applicants and blame operators for their struggles.
    02. Pay doesn't reflect the workload.
    03. EC members are delusional.
    04. Performance Evaluations are to long, to frequent and based.
    05. Company is trending down in their goals and projections.
    06. Employee Satisfaction continues to decline.
    07. Negligent and Absent CEO.
    08. Work distribution is not equal and neither is the blame.
    09. Can get better benefits, hours, wages and work life balance at Vortex in Salina Kansas.
    10. Respect for the individual does not exist within this culture.

Advice to Management

Restructure your HR department as it is ineffective. EC members should challenge the CEO to be more active in correcting the poor leadership within the company. Take care of the operators. They are the backbone of the organization and treated with the least amount of dignitiy and respect.

"Great company but it depends on what department"

I worked at GL Huyett full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bonuses are based on the company, they have a lot of potential. The employees are really nice. The owner is great. Fairly clear vision from the owner, a bit muddier from the VP's as what is important.

Cons

Most of the company is fantastic. However they have some management issues that they have to fix before they can really move up in the world. Located in a small town in the middle of no where. It is a very monochromatic work force.

They do quarterly instead of yearly reviews. You feel constant pressure to constantly plan your future. You often feel like you can't just go to work, you have to have some world changing plan too.

On-boarding is ridiculously complicated. They put a huge amount of pressure on you to learn trivia about all positions in the company but without any idea of what they expect you to learn. Then grill you on why you don't understand some minutiae about a position you've never done in your life.

Advice to Management

With how you currently manage, you can't grow and be able to manage more employees. You will end up with managers that can only supervise a handful of employees. The turn-over rate seemed very high.

8. "I am a long-term employee of G.L. Huyett, a progressive company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, KS

I have been working at GL Huyett full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Financially sound company, great benefits & I love my co-workers...need I say more?

Cons

There is none! Culture of Excellence and a Change Agency, Culture of Comfort need not apply.

Advice to Management

Management is much more accessible and I like that they have their direct reports' best interests at heart.

9. "Great Opportunities"

I have been working at GL Huyett full-time

Pros

Since this is a smaller, privately owned company you get great access to leadership and owners.

It has seen huge growth in the previous few years.

The HR dept is very high on training and development so you can control your own growth within the company.

Pay is reasonable for the area. (Low cost of living)

Cons

Located in a small town with limited restaurants or entertainment (close to Salina which is an easy 30 minute or less drive which helps).

"Stressful With Opportunity For Growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, KS

I worked at GL Huyett full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a small company where there is not a lot of bureaucracy; you get to "own" your projects.

Since it is small, you will get to interact with leaders from many departments and have the opportunity to learn about every aspect of the manufacturing and distribution process.

You are encouraged to learn to learn new skills and develop professionally.

Pay is good for the area.

You are 100% vested in a 401k on hire.

Cons

Insurance is expensive and doesn't cover what it should.

You will probably be required to work long hours.

People tend to be very intense in a way that makes work stressful.

Projects tend to grow larger than than people can handle in the time allotted for them with the available resources.

It is often not clear how to execute projects assigned, and management is rarely available to help.

Advice to Management

Have more realistic goals for projects

Be available more often

Foster a less stressful environment