GLG Employee Reviews about "great place"

Updated Jul 8, 2020

3.6
GLG CEO Paul Todd
Paul Todd
Pros
  • "Positive work culture with a strong focus on work/life balance and wellness with a good set of company perks/benefits to support those efforts(in 43 reviews)

• "Dynamic work environment which is truly changing / restructuring every few months(in 42 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "great place"

Return to all Reviews

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at GLG full-time for less than a year

Pros

GLG is a great place to grow as a professional. It's rare to see established company with an entrepreneurial spirit function well. Also great to see a company that eats its own cooking. Throughout this time of crisis GLG leadership turned to expert advice to guide decision making. The executive leadership team has made sound decisions and shown compassion to employees as we all adapt to a new normal.

Cons

A few GLG old-timers are stuck in "the way things used to be". For this company to thrive it needs to innovate and embrace new thinking and new processes - or a process. At times decisions are made as though we're still a 100-person company working out of a small house.

Continue reading

"Great post college but leave after having manager title"

Former Employee - Manager, Client Solutions in Austin, TX

I worked at GLG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great place to start your career - People I have worked are fantastic and are lifelong friends, connections made - Opportunity to work with big name clients - Compensation is fair

Cons

- No work life balance - Aggressive metrics standards - Culture of busyness - Micro-managing - Lack of growth opportunities

"Be Careful"

2.0
    Former Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you would like to move to a new city, or meet new people in Austin, NYC, or wherever, then GLG is a great place to work. Salary is fair, your coworkers are fun. Some of my best friends are my coworkers. Vacation policy is lax (as long as you are a top performer). Unfortunately, you won't learn any real business skills here but you will have fun.

Cons

Take the negative reviews here seriously. When I started at GLG I was spooked by the reviews on here, but I was told that these reviews were made by 'disgruntled employees, people with bad attitudes', etc. Now, I am one of those people making a negative review, and I can tell you that I am not just someone with a bad attitude. I am just telling you the truth: come to work here if you want to meet new people and make a decent salary, but don't expect it to be anything more than that. If you have no other options, go for it but be careful to manage your own expectations and keep them as low as possible. Now, here is what I think: Plenty of downsides.. Mid-tier management is horrendous, I truly have never seen anything like it. They receive no serious training on how to manage people, and most have been promoted only because they were great at their previous role, which has nothing to do with managing people. The micro management you will experience here is second to none. If you make even a small error, expect to be scolded like you were you by your mother when you were five years old, but this time by a 25-28 year old with zero experience and no idea how to treat or manage anyone. The incentives at GLG are backwards. Do a great job on a project and get your client to take 5+ calls (versus a normal of two), and you will be criticized by the business development team for not pitching a survey. Pitch a survey, and you will be criticized for not following up on your survey pitch and calling the client after you email them. There is always something, and no amount of hard work is ever enough. The best part is, if you do a great job and deliver great results for your clients and manage to increase their contract value come time for renewal, you will not receive ANY reward for your work at all whatsoever. If you manage to be the sole point of contact for a client and work on all of their projects, and if you do a great job and beat out other competitors and increase their contract value by over 300% (real example), then your manager will be commended by upper management and the Business Development team that he/she did a great job with that account when YOU were the one that did all of the work. Oh, and the BD team gets a nice salary increase/commission for all of your efforts. You will not be appreciated for your hard work here. I've seen people get promoted for no reason, when their metrics were SIGNIFICANTLY worse/lower than other employees'. I am trying to avoid specific examples in this review, but when I inquired about the reasons for why I was not promoted and someone else was (someone with much, much lower metrics) I was told to, and I quote directly, "just try not to think about it too much and keep working hard". A few months later, that someone that was promoted left GLG for a better role (something that happens very often). This is how GLG decides who gets promoted: two times per year, there comes a day that upper management will go into a conference room and close all of the blinds. You will have no idea what is going on in that room, or how you are being evaluated. Maybe a month later, you might get promoted or you might not. If you don't, no one will explain to you why you were not. If you ask, you will receive vague explanations like "they work with different clients, that is why they were promoted when they have much worse metrics" or "you are doing great, it just wasn't your time". Very strange environment, and you will spend most of your time copying and pasting from one page to another, or scouring LinkedIn for the perfect expert. You don't learn anything about the industries you are doing 'research' on, your clients do not respect you and expect you to deliver whatever they want at all hours of the day. Expect to work 8-6 (sometimes more, depending on the team) and expect to have to work 'weekend coverage' as well. Basically, if you are coming to GLG, lower your expectations.

"Takes Care of People"

Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management puts clients and people first, great place to work and strong positive culture.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Continue reading

"Good opportunities and Flexibility"

Current Employee - Research Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at GLG full-time for less than a year

Pros

GLG is a great place to learn. You will work with intelligent and demanding clients and coworkers. I've learned more about how to success professionally in 1 year than in 6 years at a previous job.

Cons

Clients are extremely demanding and your workload depends on what team you are on. GLG needs to do a better job of moving people around so some people aren't working 55 hours a week and some people 35.

Continue reading

"Great place to work, HIGHLY recommend"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with GLG for over 5 years and have had an incredible experience. The best part of working here is the PEOPLE. We hire smart, talented and driven professionals who are down to earth and incredibly interesting. Management is supportive/ approachable and mentorship is encouraged. Individuals are recognized for their work and considered for new opportunities which keeps employees engaged and continuously learning/improving/moving up in the the company. Additionally, GLG encourages entrepreneurship-- if you have an idea for a new product, process improvement, new workflow etc the Management team wants to hear about it and will seriously consider your suggestions. Oftentimes these employee-based ideas come to fruition at the company. Further, GLG gives you exposure to working with clients DIRECTLY even at a more junior level. If you want to gain real, hands-on and intense client service experience, GLG is a great place for that. The skills you learn in client solutions, content, & business development can be applied and used across various roles within GLG AND beyond GLG, as one's career continues to evolve and develop. I can't say enough great things about my experience and my career at GLG. I've learned a great deal, I have met incredible mentors & lifelong friends and I've become a better professional by working here.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about GLG.

7. COVID-19

"Very Much on the Up & Up"

4.0

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- C-suite dedicated to improving the employee value proposition and creating a people-centric culture - A great place to learn, grow, and develop as a professional - An excellent foundation for learning client servicing skills - Amazing coworkers - True meritocracy that rewards hard work and talent - Response to COVID-19 has been handled incredibly well

Cons

- Work-life balance can be quite difficult in many roles - Often poor change management across the organization - Inconsistent experiences across parts of the organization

8. COVID-19

"Life at GLG"

4.0
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Great people: GLG hires smart, motivated, hardworking individuals who want to advance in their careers and provide excellent service to our clients. 2. Leadership: I've been at GLG for a little over a year and it seems leadership has really listened to its employees' pain-points and is working to make adjustments to ensure GLG is a great place to work. In the past several months, they have added new employee benefits, updated technology to help us do our jobs better, and have been increasingly transparent about the future of GLG and how we as front-line employees are going to play a critical role in making us the #1 knowledge marketplace. I would especially applaud GLG's leadership on how they've responded to the current climate surrounding COVID-19. They've been transparent on the hardships our company is facing, the challenges that lay ahead, and what we are doing to ultimately combat this difficult situation and hopefully come out stronger in the end.

Cons

1. Change: We are a global company, but at times we can feel like a start-up. This can come with perks (i.e. activity-based work space, casual dress code) but it also comes with its challenges. GLGers have to be prepared to shift gears as leadership continuously tries to find the best way for us to service our clients. 2. Demanding clients/stakeholders: This isn't a 9-5 job. No matter what team you are on. Everyone has their clients (internal & external), and every client has his/her own demands that are expected to be completed, and completed in top-notch fashion. GLG expects a lot from its employees, and sometimes the reward for the work isn't apparent, which can be disheartening and frustrating. Recognition rewards are being put in place to help make sure good work doesn't go unnoticed, so there are improvements being made.

"A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having worked at a few companies before here, I can confidently say none of them put in the effort GLG does into making everyone feel like they are contributing and making a difference, regardless of title or level. It is a collaborative and supportive environment, which creates endless opportunities to learn from all the smart, talented and hardworking people here. Everything starts from the top and it is very refreshing to see senior leadership actually care about making this company a great place to work.

Cons

There have recently been significant changes made throughout the company, and although change is never easy, leadership took the time to implement all aspects correctly to ensure a smooth transition for both employees and clients. It is just the beginning, but you can already feel the positive impact these changes have made company wide.

"Just for a year or two.."

2.0
    Former Employee - Project Support Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Downtown office - Coffee bar - Unlimited PTO (But basically no holidays off.. and very inflexible schedule) - Access to Gym in the office - A lot of fun coworkers, young environment and a great place to make friends in your 20s! -Great first step to stay in for ~ 1-2 years to get comfortable in Austin then get out.. - OVER TIME PAY (god knows you'll work it! ) - Can make experience from this role relevant in other fields - Can work from home from time to time (but you are still completely glued to your computer for 8 hours at a very minimum) - Starting pay $43k, Senior associate promotion pay $48k, and make time and half for OT. Salary is actually very decent for the extremely easy, mindless work. -401k contributions -Offers insurance

Cons

The Project Support Specialist or Engagement Coordinator role is not meant to be in for any longer than 2 years. After about 1 year, you've learned everything possible. There is absolutely zero room to creatively solve problems. They train a team of 25-40 to be complete robots. They want every single person to be the exact same, which is great for continuity for the users, but can be a miserable environment to work in. Additionally upper management does not receive feedback well, project support specialists bring very legitimate concerns/problems to the table, and the VP shuts them down immediately, gets extremely defensive, and makes PSS feel dumb for asking questions. They say they want to help with mobility and switching departments/roles, but it's usually too late as you have to wait 12-18months to even have that conversation. At that point most people in the project support role are burnt out. The metrics for this role are absolutely BOGUS and do not at all reflect the work/quality of the project support specialist. Granted they are just recently developing metrics for this role, but then there should not be that much weight put into it. NOTE--This role is essentially scheduler/customer support. You will work on tickets out of a queue, make phone calls, schedule calls, tick off CEO's by yanking them around and gathering availability/canceling and rescheduling on them. If you're considering other roles at GLG I would recommend applying to those over Project Support Specialist/Engagement Coordinator.

Found 40 reviews