GLG "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

GLG Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 3, 2019

GLG CEO Paul Todd (no image)
Paul Todd
Pros
  • "Benefits, work/life balance are good(in 40 reviews)

• "High caliber of people that creates both a fun and stimulating work environment - people enjoy each other socially, but also work hard(in 38 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Experience at GLG"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Spent two years at GLG. Access to exciting projects and great opportunity to learn about a wide variety of topics and industries. Great place for self-starters and to learn discipline of how a workplace functions. Benefits, work/life balance are good.

Cons

Projects / progress can often move slowly due to heavy focus on compliance, and multiple departments being involved. Certain departments can be rigid as well

GLG2019-02-22

"Not worth the trouble"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Client Solutions in Austin, TX

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful people, impactful work, appealing benefits

Cons

Terrible work life balance, misaligned priorities

GLG2019-12-04

"Good Starting Point for new grads"

Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Relative good pay for new college graduates - A good place to learn how corporate/ business model works

Cons

- fast-pacing, no work life balance

GLG2019-11-25

"Add your therapist to speed dial"

Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Above average salary, food and coffee, modern office, coworkers.

Cons

GLG has the most toxic corporate culture I've ever experienced in my professional life. They expect you to take lunch at your desk, they expect you to be on call all hours of the day, and on weekends and holidays. They put no value in a healthy work-life balance, and will work you to the bone with no regard for your mental health. The culture is truly so horrible that you'll lose your sense of self and if you're... anything like me, you might develop some degree of depression related to workplace burnout and mental exhaustion. Vacation is unlimited but don't you dare take more than 2 weeks. Want to take a short walk outside for a breath of fresh air? No sir, not on GLG's watch. Also make sure you don't stand out, or bring a different point of view, or act like anything other than a New York socialite, because there's no place for people like you in the eyes of GLG's middle and upper management circles. After 2 years I had enough and mustered up my last ounce of confidence to leave, and it was the best professional decision I've ever made. To all current GLG employees: you don't have to stay, and you can leave whenever you want. It's okay to put yourself and your mental health above your employer, because I promise you from the bottom of my heart that GLG truly doesn't care about you even if you're the highest performing person on your team. They care about your results, and the second those results waver, you're toast. They care about your attitude, and if you're not able to feign extreme enthusiasm and dedication to GLG, you'll be cast aside in a heartbeat. This could potentially fall in the "pros" column - you'll probably make a few good friends, but that's only because you will find people to commiserate with about how horrible your work lives are. They'll be your saving grace, the people who keep you going and remind you that there's more to life than GLG. I wish I was kidding about putting my therapist on speed dial, but it's not a lie and it's something that I never thought I would need before GLG. I sort of devolved into a nervous wreck, never feeling like I was good enough or doing enough, and those feelings were reinforced, daily, by the language my manager used. Despite what I thought was pretty good performance and attitude, GLG just kept beating me down to the point where I found myself crying on the train or in the bathroom at least once every week or so. It's not a normal workplace, it's not a healthy workplace, and it's simply not where you want to be. Don't work here - put yourself first.

Advice to Management

Jfc guys... congrats on your successful careers but is it worth it? Read some reviews and adjust your behavior

GLG2019-10-30

"A Cultural Identity Crisis"

Former Employee - Client Solutions Manager

I worked at GLG full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The benefits and pay are above average for client solutions, especially considering the level of skill that is required for the job. If you are good at networking within the organization, you can find opportunities to sit in on interesting educational presentations from subject-matter experts. Mostly intelligent, good-hearted co-workers, though burnout and exhaustion with the constant pace of... sometimes-meaningless change has created some toxic elements.

Cons

GLG tries its hardest to give off the impression of a flexible, employee-first, start-up-esque culture but is actually a paternalistic, top-down environment. The culture can be confusing as a result because the messaging from company town halls does not line up with actual policies enacted or the day-to-day work environment. As an example, the large offices are all open office concepts with (in theory) open... seating, and activity-based working was a buzzword when I first started at the company. However, in practice, you are mandated to sit in the same place every day, in close proximity to your manager, because they do not trust you to get your work done, and face time is extremely important to the point where if you leave your assigned place for more than 15 minutes, your manager will start to frantically question where you are (or, if you’re a manager yourself, even if you want to allow your team more freedom, YOUR manager will get on your case if your team isn’t by your side at all times). Unlimited vacation time was touted as a benefit when I joined the company, however in practice it’s totally at the discretion of your manager. So, if they think that an associate should only take 10 days per year, they will not approve further vacation days. There is no oversight for this from HR or senior leadership. Further, more recently the client solutions organization has begun mandating that at least one person per team is on call to work during official company holidays, i.e. days when the stock market is closed. The reward for working on a holiday? A work from home day (the company cannot reward a vacation day because employees in theory have “unlimited vacation”, though, again, in practice this is not true). As you can see, the reward systems get very wonky. Work-life balance is non-existent for the client solutions organization, as clients submit requests and have research calls at all hours, and you are expected to respond to email after normal business hours as well. In the past the company has praised client solutions professionals for behavior such as waking up at 3 AM to ensure a call with an expert in Asia occurred successfully, rather than realizing that this is the type of behavior that leads to employee disengagement and burnout. I did have some positive experiences at this organization, as detailed above, but have found that it is mostly dependent on who you happened to have assigned as your manager, which can change frequently. Over a period of 3 years I had 6 different managers, only 2 of which I felt truly were invested in my professional development. It was also very difficult to consistently pursue my long-term goals when I kept having to reset with new managers. On the subject of managers, your ability to advance in the organization is totally dependent on your manager’s personal opinion of you, even if your numbers say otherwise. In year-end reviews, I heard managers express that employees who on paper had great metrics and seemed to be high performers were actually not going to be rated above average because the manager believed “they could do more”. Anecdotally, I know of multiple instances where employees asking about what they could improve to earn a promotion were belittled or laughed at by their managers. There is definitely an element of brown-nosing to upper management that is needed to advance here, to the point where engaged employees feel they can not offer constructive feedback for fear of it impacting their career progression. At the end of my time at GLG I was very disappointed to not be offered an exit interview with HR, even though my colleagues who left at the same time did receive an exit interview. When I expressed this, a member of senior leadership did sit with me informally, which I appreciated. I hope my feedback will be taken to heart as I do still wish the best for GLG and its employees.

Advice to Management

Spend less time and money on sleek town hall presentations and promotional videos, and spend time listening to what your employees value and find meaningful. Try trusting employees' ability to do their jobs successfully as a way to intrinsically motivate them instead of treating them like high school students.

GLG2019-09-25

"GLG"

Former Employee - Research Manager

I worked at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quick career progression, quick title progression

Cons

Skill Development, pay, work-life balance

GLG2019-07-31

"A Beautiful Nightmare..."

Former Employee - Senior Associate

I worked at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good things about this job are meeting great people and living in Austin. My co-workers are now very good friends and Austin can be a fun city for some people.

Cons

Let me start off by saying— if you have any other available job offers, please consider all of them before settling for this job. HR will say that we are all disgruntled employees, but truthfully we’re just looking out for you. I’m here to share the things I wish I knew so you can make an informed decision. The way GLG markets this job is nothing like the actual day to day. As a recent grad from a top tier... university, I was told this job was going to be somewhat like consulting; they said we’d be thought partners doing “research” on a variety of topics. This could not be farther from the truth. As a Junior Associate all you do is headhunting. ALL DAY you will be on LinkedIn searching for top level executives to MAYBE do a 30-60 minute phone consultation on the subject matter of the project you receive. Then after 6 months of that, you do monotonous, bare bones project management that barely scrapes the surface of any topic they say you could be learning about. You are a middle man setting up calls between the experts you recruit and our clients. Diversity is lacking there and they aren’t going out of their way to make you stay. The company seems to “bait and switch” to get you in the door but once you’re here, you’re on your own. Any issues you have will be met with hollow sympathies and a “well if you look at so and so, they are doing just fine!” and they’ll send you on your way. If you’re from an area that is pretty diverse, Austin may be a bit difficult to navigate. Metrics are the be-all and end-all at this job. Period. Higher ups will say “we try to look at an employee holistically to determine their progress” but many feel that this is false. As soon as you start to underperform, you’re in trouble. You truly feel as though you’re just a number at this company. Career progression- This is just a stop; you should not be here for more than 2 years. If you do take a job here and you actually make it to the 6 month mark, start looking for new opportunities. Work life balance- Next to the monotony of the job, this is what people complain about the most. You will work from 8:30am-6:30pm AND you have to be responsive far later than that into the night! If you like to have a life outside of work, do not work here; they make it seem normal to work every living hour of the day. People are even working through lunch- laptops are wide open as they sadly bite into their avocado toast. Managers/ Higher ups- Your experience here is heavily determined by the type of manger you have. As for upper management, I often question what their purpose is. What do they do all day? They don’t really understand our day to day tasks and only ask you about your experience just to say they’ve asked, not because they care. In the end, if you are not hard pressed for cash to start paying off your student loans or feed your family, I would advise you to stay put and wait for the next relevant opportunity to come by. Life is too short to be stuck in a dead end job-- be somewhere that makes you happy to wake up and gives you purpose.

Advice to Management

There is nothing you can do to make the job more stimulating but at least treat your employees decently. Let us have the flexibility and perks of a modern tech company- don't treat us like children. We know what we're worth. Hire the right people to work at this company and work with people who are struggling. And most importantly, a pay raise wouldn't hurt.

GLG2019-07-18

"Work in progress"

Current Employee - Council Development/Membership Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at GLG full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great driven, intelligent, and collaborative employees. Freedom to try your approach.

Cons

Bureaucratic management, environment that creates division and lack of accountability exacerbates the issues. Work-life balance expectations and misdirection about it's importance to the company, where it is just talk.

GLG2019-04-12

"Growing Pains"

I have been working at GLG full-time

Pros

- Great place to learn business acumen and discipline - Growing rapidly with plenty of opportunity to grow with the company

Cons

- Difficulty managing work-life balance, especially given high growth - Little support from upper mgmt or recognition that burnout is a problem

GLG2019-01-22

"Take your talent somewhere you will be appreciated."

Former Employee - Community Engagement Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at GLG full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free coffee bar Catered Lunch Great group of drive, smart people. All around your age. Downtown work location.

Cons

HORRIBLE work/life balance. Aggressive managers who care more about metrics than employee well being. Toxic culture that supports high turnover and poor mental health. Bait and switch techniques to lure in smart young workers. Non-disclosure and non-compete agreements that are far above the seniority level of most employees. GLG makes sure that if you leave, you will not be able to work in the Financial... Services industry.

Advice to Management

Look at the people that are working under you. Most are seeking therapy for insane stress. Please put more importance on your employees well being.

GLG2019-01-06