GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews | Glassdoor

Sanjay K. Jha

1,097 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance should be given higher preference by the managers (in 59 reviews)

• Upper management is getting better (in 40 reviews)

"Don't Give Up!"

Former Employee - Withheld in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Withheld in New York, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. Lots of talent, will to win, and impressive application of intelligence. The potential playing field is almost limitless, and opportunities to learn are plentiful. Benefits are good. Pays better than just about anything else in the area. Good working environment with a good cafeteria. The right fab management is finally in place. My manager was most excellent and much respected.

Cons

Unfortunately the frequency of management turnover has not been beneficial to ramp success. The main investor has lost confidence. Now, fab leadership's only recourse is to make the business work in a down-market, while producing technologic yields that prove production viability. Advice to employees: Take the energy you're putting into whining and use it to improve yield. It's not just about you. It's about the life of the business, and convincing the investor that this business can win BIG. Sanjay and Tom need you. Give them your support!

Advice to Management

To Fab management: Do whatever you an to unleash the talent in the teams that support you. Direct them, evaluate results, but don't micro-manage. Don't put braces on their brains - give them room to grow in their own ways. The rewards will come back to you in ways you can't imagine. Get excited about their achievements, and let them know it. Be real. Be yourselves. Get involved with as many people as you can, on a personal level.

"Good place that will last a long time but still has issues"

Former Employee - Senior Section Manager in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Section Manager in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I waited a few months to write this review since I wanted some time to pass before I was terminated. So let's start with the Pros:

This place I truly believe is a fantastic place to work when it comes to dealing with the latest and greatest in technology. You name the latest new tech toy, and GF is probably making the brains behind those devices right there in Malta. 14 nm and now 7 nm, I truly believe Fab 8 (and hopefully whatever new Fab they build there will be) has a long life. There's certainly been a ton of money spent to make it happen.

I personally love shift work (who wouldn't love having 3-4 days off a week to do as they please) especially night shift. Very little "politics", no useless meetings, bathrooms that are not full, easy parking, peace and quiet, etc., etc. But I also know it's not for everybody; it can be a little more difficult to "get noticed" on nights, but it could invariably depend on your career goals.

As far as career goals, there are a ton of open positions at this company right now. Policy says you only have to be in your current position one year before moving on, so if there's something you see that you'd be interested in, go for it. Granted policy also says (as of mid-2017) that you have to wait a certain amount of time before moving, but it could be well worth it for you.

Cons

And now the Cons:

1. Promotions are incredibly difficult to come by. I had several employees I wanted to promote based on work ethic, effort, knowledge, and experience. However, I was severely limited by budget, of course like many companies, but this place did seem to favor engineers over technicians for promotions. Unfortunately promotions are basically just done once a year in April. You might be able to promote somebody in the Oct.-Dec. time frame, but it's incredibly rare. I wouldn't bother asking your manager for one until Annual Review season (which would be now by the way).

2. Raises have been incredibly mediocre the last two years. The average was around 1% in April of 2017. That's not worth a whole lot, and that's certainly not going to help your attrition rate.

3. Speaking of attrition...before I left in September the attrition rate was reaching the same peak it had been before Tom Caufield took over mid-2014. Of course, 80% of the reasons for people leaving was "poor management". It's my own personal theory that while the front line managers (shift managers in particular) were getting the brunt of the blame, I would personally single out the senior leadership. Of course people are going to leave if they can't get promoted or get decent raises. Bonuses are nice (especially for Level 6 and above), but after federal and state taxes you're only taking home 56% of it. Also, let's think about it for a second: Caufield came in mid-2014. Let's say it takes him 6-12 months to get in the people he wants as part of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT). So 2015 was when most of the changes really started to come into focus. Experienced Engineering professionals still probably didn't want to come work here based on the toxicity of the workplace pre-Caufield so GF hired a bunch of New College Grads (NCG's). If those NCG's received relocation bonuses then they were locked in for two years. Also, they're most likely millennials who, if you believe the latest articles, get bored easily in their jobs and will be looking for something new to do after 2 years anyway. So two years later in 2017, you see a high rate of turnover as these "kids" decide they want to do something else or live somewhere else (upstate NY not the best place to live year round). Not saying that this is the only reason the attrition rate is high, but it's surely a contributing factor. Yes, it's up to the front line managers to keep these kids happy, but if they're hamstrung by upper management, there's not much anybody can do.

4. Location - Personally I didn't mind living in the Saratoga area. I liked to travel so being 3 hours from NYC, 3 hours from Boston, 4 hours from Buffalo, 4 hours from Philadelphia, and 2.5 hours from Hartford was a bonus for me. However, I can see how others would not like living there especially in the Winter. I mean, seriously, if you were in your 20's and had a choice between working at Samsung in Austin, TX or GF in Malta, NY, where would you live? Yes, Austin is hot, but it also has a lively film, music, and tech scene.

5. If you want to get your boss fired, don't bother talking with their boss, call the Ethics Hotline anonymously and see the fireworks begin.

Advice to Management

Sure, blame the front line managers for the high attrition rate (no idea if it improved the last 3 months of 2017), but give better raises...do whatever it takes to make that happen in fact. Also be a little more liberal with promotions. You have over 3000 employees...sure not all are top performing, but there are many deserving candidates.

3. "Principal Maintenance Technician"

Current Employee - Principal Maintenance Technician in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Maintenance Technician in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

State-of-the-art equipment
    High level of automation

Cons

Long hours. The 12 hour shift is more like 13+ hours.
    Most of the shift is spent in the cleanroom
    Way too many acronyms

"GF_Fab9"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Process Engineer in Essex Junction, VT
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Process Engineer in Essex Junction, VT

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits, vaca, opportunity to select projects

Cons

compensation has been unchanged since I started 3 years ago

Advice to Management

compensate and reward or young and old people alike will walk

5. "IC Design Engineer"

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Cutting edge tech. Good for Engineers

Cons

Company still young. lots to learn.

Advice to Management

Tke more initiatives

6. "Workplace Environment"

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Good company to start career, opportunity to learn

Cons

Career progress very slow for most people, unless you can make your way up pushing others

7. "SMTS"

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Work life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Not competitive salary and promotion is difficult.

8. "Senior Member of Technical Staff"

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great capabilities, One GF spirit, good incentives, good health plan, great support for people moving from abroad

Cons

Slow decision making process process

9. "Busy busy"

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will always have something to do and will not be bored. The facility and office space is nice and the option to work from anywhere can be a good convenience when necessary. The diversity is great as is the young work force.

Cons

It's almost overwhelmingly busy at times and you feel guilty taking time off because you know you'll come back to more work that you're behind on. Culturally, it's obvious that this can be an intense environment given the culture of other people and their expectations of you.

"Principal Technician"

Current Employee - Principal Technician in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Technician in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

State of the art equipment. Available training.

Cons

High turnover effects morale and productivity. Folks leaving tend to be the more experienced and/or skilled leaving behind unmotivated, less skilled and experienced behind which further erodes the whole experience. Raises and bonuses are barely worth distributing. Promotions are few and far between and often based on nepotism. Being an experienced technician I find it extremely difficult and frustrating performing at my capacity due to ineptness in engineering team who deliberately erect and maintain barriers to protect their interests.

Advice to Management

This fab has so much potential. We need to focus on quality recruitment and not quantity. We need to strengthen our on boarding requirements and not continue to relax them as we have recently done. We should be trying to recruit those who want to excel and hold them accountable for performance vs hiring those that just want to show up for a paycheck. The quality of people we bring in will dictate the culture moving forward.

Showing 1,097 of 1,151 reviews