KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 1,876 of over 2K reviews

3.5
GLOBALFOUNDRIES Chief Executive Officer Thomas Caulfield
Thomas Caulfield
Pros
  • "Global Foundries has a Good Work Life Balance(in 155 reviews)

• "good benefits and good remuneration(in 53 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There's still much work to be done on work life balance(in 77 reviews)

• "Malta is a bit isolated and away from the city(in 44 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of GLOBALFOUNDRIES and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company

May 4, 2021 - Instrumentation and Controls Engineer in East Fishkill, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Comfortable Environment Great opportunity for Learning

Cons

Mainly older workforce retiring and taking most of their expertise with them

2. 3.0

much potential

May 27, 2021 - Principal Engineer in Malta, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

No shortage of ways to make a name for yourself in a keystone industry. There is always something new occurring here, and many opportunities to step in and own transforming processes through continuous improvement efforts. Upward mobility internally is much better than it has been in the past

Cons

Lazy management. So many "one-size-fits-all" policies that actively disparage employees -- a little more situational focused management would go a long way. Make decisions based on the facts of individual circumstances without relying on "my hands are tied, we have a global corporate policy". Micro management to the extreme. Very poorly developed project management practices. Very poor understanding of opportunity cost -- absolutely 0 understanding of internal development cost. If a project only requires internal effort, the cost is treated as 0, making it impossible to value multiple internal projects against one another correctly. Major oversight. Compensation is still lacking. Most people move in and out of the company every few years to make the income they deserve. If you aren't doing this (like myself) -- you are missing out on 10s of thousands of dollars in compensation.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

By far the Most Interesting Place to Work if you Wanna Feel Inspired

Jun 14, 2021 - Machine Operator in Essex, VT
      Business Outlook

Pros

I LOVED working here during my summer; Global is full of brilliant people who are great to have a conversation with during lunch. Maintenance staff and EBIs would even feed my curiosity by giving me crash courses into every tool (even taking time out of their busy scheduler to do so)! Finally, I’ll end by saying that there was only a single day working there where I was unhappy. Every other day felt like I won the lottery for job placements.

Cons

Everyone who works there will agree that managers are probably the people everyone is most intimidated (I being nice here) by because they like to skulk around and ask you questions about specific tools you have no control over (even after telling them why the EBI (Engineer Built-In) is looking into it). But if you just do what everyone is doing and no more, you’ll be fine.

4. 2.0

Done

Jun 19, 2021 - Member Of Technical Staff in Malta, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at GF for 10 years; advancing through a few different career ladders. I am an engineer now. The transformation GF has made is clear: it's obvious here, on Glassdoor, considering it was rated as low as 2.1 stars at one point, and is at 3.6 stars when I write this review. The reviews now are much shorter and more positive than they were in the past; I'm not sure what has influenced this change. Maybe this happened organically, maybe not. The transformation is obvious in Malta too. There have been improvements since Tom took the reigns as CEO. The company's vision is clearer, there's a little more transparency in decision making and compensation has improved for us in Malta since we've been a major revenue generator for the company. This will probably change when the technologies we're manufacturing become obsolete or less profitable. It's an ongoing challenge to introduce new technologies, and whether they will bring equal success to Malta/GF is not clear, but for now things are okay. One major thing to consider at GF is the specific organization/module you will be joining. The quality of your manager will likely affect how happy you are in your position. Take the time to ask questions to learn what the reporting chain will look like, and try to learn more about the person influencing your daily work. This is very important. The company's COVID response was positive. A lot of people stepped up and I hope they were rewarded accordingly. D&I is a new, visibly at least, topic at GF. I don't see much change myself, but I am part of a traditionally non-affected demographic. The cynical part of me believes the primary reason for it is to make GF's valuation higher. There was some language where they suggested merit was no longer the only consideration for advancement into certain positions. This was a year ago and I think they stepped back a bit, at least openly. Overall, GF has allowed and supported my maturation/growth and rewarded me well for contributions financially and nominally through promotions. I am at my limit now, with all of what you will read in the cons section below. I've learned that a lot of what happens at GF is not normal and not conducive to creating a healthy culture, but people pretend it's normal. If you're joining with experience, you will see this right away. If you are new, you will realize it, or be indoctrinated and deal with it. I only realized it after discussing with people who joined and soon left, and then people who left after years of dealing with the same. Most people say the grass is greener, and I trust them.

Cons

Work/life balance is an interesting topic, but it leans more to a con for me -- read the below regarding attrition and you will understand. There is a policy that provides flexibility now, but this does not eliminate or reduce the amount of work that needs to be done. Also be prepared for early/late meetings depending on your organization and what the expectations are. If you are expected to work with international colleagues then you will likely need to consider this. Luckily the world revolves around Malta for now and we're in an advantageous time zone, so it doesn't happen too often. Re-orgs are still common. Senior leadership will sell you on these decisions with full confidence, but months later, sometimes weeks, there's another change. Attrition is still an issue. Leadership denies the lower attrition rate is due to the pandemic. What's the saying? "I've got a bridge to sell you"? Seriously! With the departure of colleagues you will find your workload increasing with no improvement or plan for improvement. Why? No suitable backups, hiring freezes (slow business), lack of suitable candidates, lack of interest in the positions available or offers that aren't competitive. Or they just want to save money and not hire someone new. If you are unlucky like me and some of my peers, you will also be chosen to take on work for other fabs. Why? You might be a subject matter expert. Great! Your workload has now increased. There is no shortage of good ideas and initiatives to pursue those ideas. The problem goes back to resource availability -- there's not enough people to help bring those ideas to fruition. There are boards/panels/teams in place to discuss merit and they attempt to prioritize those ideas, but there still ends up being too much for most people. Cost is too strong a deciding factor in decision making, at least in my organization. We are an organization spread across the globe that supports corporate and fab teams. We made a switch that affects the whole company, and now it takes longer to do most things. With lack of transparency in this decision, we assume it was primarily based on license costs because the actual cited reasons for the switch are inconsequential or flat out wrong ("x is quicker" [it actually takes longer]). Kind of on the same topic, my organization's leadership issues rigid directives without relative consideration to other factors. This has led to bad decisions that result in the wrong change or no change at all. This means you're stuck with a lemon either way. GF tries really hard to educate its managers, but it doesn't resonate with some. I know I benefitted from the trainings I received and am thankful for that. I have had good and bad managers, and unfortunately my current manager is new and not a good fit for me while he learns. I have no doubt he will eventually be a good manager, but I have no desire to be a test subject. Cronyism exists, this is especially obvious in upper management. Someone new gets hired and they bring former colleagues. People find out what they accomplished (positive or negative) at their last company and it's usually not good.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Great place to work while seeking an education

Jun 14, 2021 - Team Lead/Trainer in Waterbury, VT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great time off, if driven management is willing to work with you

Cons

PM hour shifts, 12 hour night shifts

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to start out

May 14, 2021 - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good coworkers a lot of room to grow and learn the industry for someone with the drive to push themselves.

Cons

Pay is not competitive to industry competitors beyond NCG salaries, or in other words, the longer you stay the more you get underpaid. They promise a capitalistic approach to promotions, where if you work hard and go above and beyond you will get promoted faster, but in actuality it seems to be more that they promote based on a set schedule. Constantly chasing a new metric every quarter, which requires eng to reprioritize projects and work constantly. The promises made from the top often fall short by the time they are implemented, a lot of over promising and underdelivering to employees.

7. 4.0

Great opportunities ahead

Jun 7, 2021 - N/A in Essex, VT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Full fabs with more demand Vital technology Strong D&I initiative

Cons

A massive undertaking to go public Attrition

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Get day shifts if possible

Jun 2, 2021 - Process Technician in Malta, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is decent, the job is pretty easy if you can operate a computer and Microsoft office.

Cons

Night shift is terrible try to avoid if possible

9. 3.0
      Current Employee

Impartial

Jun 13, 2021 - Principal Manufacturing Engineer in Malta, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good growth, cannot keep up with demand.

Cons

Many hours and saving huge costs for company does not deliver promotions. Have to fight and over justify things that should already be available. Constant change in management, never know what company will be like.

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Not a bad place to start your career

Jun 16, 2021 - Principal Engineer in Albany, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunities to learn, good work-life balance

Cons

Future of the company uncertain, maybe not for long term career

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,876 Reviews