GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
GLOBALFOUNDRIES CEO Sanjay K. Jha
Sanjay K. Jha

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance could be better (in 50 reviews)

• Managers are not consistent upper management seems to have there head up there A55es (in 33 reviews)

"Deepwater Horizon"

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, nice new gym, great people, nice new gym, great people, nice new gym

Cons

Absolutely no career. Absolutely no training. The work load is so demanding that there's no way you can do anything correct, the right way or do proper research or planning to prep the work required. Management in California micro-manages, and what's most scary is that they know nothing of what we do, what our challenges are, what is required to do the jobs/task at hand; nor do they care. Their actions are wanton, and they lead with an arrogance and ignorance I've never experienced or seen in my career. They are leading us full speed into disaster. They do not want professional opinions, input, or to hear of any concerns. They provide no support only demands and dictations. Their favoritism and rewards are only for their own. The HR review process is so broke and so corrupt it drives the workers to a point of not caring and not trying. All managers only manage upward- they say, do and report ONLY what the level(s) above them want to hear, because they know they can't do anything to affect the chaos which I lived and others continue to live.

Advice to Management

TRUST the people below you to manage their domain. If you cannot trust them, then why are they there?

"Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The cafeteria was the only pro. Nothing esle.

Cons

It sucks. No life balance. No vision

Advice to Management

Waste of time

"Great company/benefits but Terrible management"

Former Employee - Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and many good people to work with

Cons

Management sucks, Very discriminatory managers especially upper level managements

Advice to Management

Quit and retire.

"This place sums, no raises or good bonuses."

Current Employee - Fab Specialist in Essex, VT
    Current Employee - Fab Specialist in Essex, VT

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

0, pay is substandard, benefits are minimal at best

Cons

Where to begin, let me just say management is clueless, employees on the floor get treated horribly, too many raises for people in support areas while manufacturing operator that do the work get nothing, just a big smokescreen. Hr is the absolute worst and very unprofessional and totally pro management.

Advice to Management

Try paying and treating people that actually work with dignity and respect, most people I know are on some kind of public assistance working here, also, people with experience are castrisized and downgraded and not given any raises or bonuses. Embrace your older and experienced operator and pay a equal days pay, value floor personnel.

"Poor business practices, poor communication, treats employees poorly."

Former Employee - Field in East Fishkill, NY
    Former Employee - Field in East Fishkill, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really the pay is the only thing worth while. The skills you can find anywhere in the industry. If you are entry level, don't worry they will hire you because they can't keep techs.

Cons

If I could give no stars I would. Frankly my time here has been horrible, and it's sad that a lot of other feel that way as well but can't leave. They do a good job of keeping you in Golden Handcuffs. My last department meeting they asked for "volunteers" to go to Malta because so many people had left. When asked why management said "they all said they were not being challenged enough" Looking at the reviews on here it's pretty obvious it's the work conditions. From the Work/Life balance, to the treatment of employees, no progression, no growth (if it's not what management wants) to the latest I have been a part of - the withdrawal of a bonus after being paid out. There are a lot of great techs, process, and engineers here (Malta and Fishkill) and frankly some awesome managers (who unfortunately get overshadowed). I suspect more and more will finally have had enough of working in these conditions and turnover will continue. As far as the East Fishkill site goes, there is really no product running and probably won't be after IBM is done making server chips there.

Advice to Management

I won't be as nice as some of the reviews I have read. Frankly, this is the problem with the company as a whole. It really seems like upper management and HR turn a blind eye when someone complains about being mistreated. I can't really say I have ever worked somewhere so bleak and blindly guided. The rules change by the hour, recently after being told to never deviate from procedures and employee was told when questioned how long something takes to do "well don't do it by the procedure then". From being harassed about taking time of or calling in sick, to being told to make someone cry, it's a belittling, unsettling, nervous environment to work in. When we asked upper management if leaving night shift was a possibility they said yes, asking your direct manager and they said "you can do everything on nights why are you asking to leave". The passive aggressive nature is nasty and down right disheartening. The number of employees that are beaten down because "they make good money" is discussing. talking about employee's personal issues, pay, or anything else in a meeting setting in front of other is completely unacceptable. Putting employees down, and belittling them in front of other is mortifying. It's a big game to management, and if you want to join little skill is required. Just have to join the team and drink the cool-aid and wait your turn.

My advice to Management (Upper that is) and HR?
    It's time to restructure and get rid of the waste of lower management. There are too many managers on a lower level because someone else didn't want to have something on there plate. This causes these lower managers to have too much power and very little respect for almost anyone. HR really needs to do a deep dive investigation. The only reason others aren't coming forward is because "but the pay is good" but I'm sure HR already knows about it.

"Pretty bad"

Former Employee - AMHS SENIOR TECHNICIAN in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - AMHS SENIOR TECHNICIAN in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work schedule was good. I used to feel obligated to come in early and stay late, but people here have given up, so you can pretty much come and go as you please as long as you log 40 hours per week.

Cons

Too many to list. Money being thrown around and nothing seems to get accomplished. No raises. Bonuses amount to about a weeks' pay after taxes. Everyone worrying about layoffs and potential sale of company. Toxic politics. Etc...

Advice to Management

I have been offering my advice for years and you didnt even pretend to listen. Hate to say I told you so...

"Nightmare worse than hell"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New office area. Cost of living in the area is good. No layoffs. Benefits (base salary) pretty comparable to other competitors within industry.

Cons

I have worked for several companies. But nothing prepared me for the appalling work-culture at Globalfoundries. Engineers and technicians are subjected to extremely high stress levels with very little appreciation from bosses and managers.
    Engineers are burnt out to the core working extremely long hours despite no bonuses.
    GF also has a very skewed grading system where getting promoted depends entirely on the employee's manager and the politics involved in this is beyond words. In no other organization have I seen work politics spill over to the engineering and tech level to this extent.
    Mid-level managers make their own rules per their whims and fancies and force engineers to follow them with little explanation or reasoning behind it. As an example, the SPC chart access to hundreds of process engineers were revoked after one engineer made a mistake.
    Engineers barely have a say in technical decisions made my mid-level management. Vendors rule the fab and are seen as indispensable assets whereas GF engineers are perceived as dispensable liabilities.
    I joined GF after quitting my position with another reputable company and regretted this decision for 3 long years. Living through this nightmare for 3yrs was not at all easy. To say that life at GF is worse than hell is an understatement.

Advice to Management

Continue your current ways and you are sure to run the company into the ground. I pity the investors.

"Don't work for Logistics"

Current Employee - Logistics Technician in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Logistics Technician in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are decent. You can get some good time off if you use your vacation time wisely, god knows you'll need it if you work here. All that time off will benefit a job search to leave.

Cons

There are reasons that people are leaving this place in droves. They don't uphold any of the "values" that the company is supposedly founded on. Logistics refuses to acknowledge the hazards of the job so that they don't have to pay a premium for people who work around chemicals. Safety around these items is abysmal and is only convenient around audit time or when someone really screwed up. People are incredibly under trained for the serious nature of the materials they work around. It's only a matter of time until someone is harmed by the negligence of this department. Middle management are nothing but yes men who have been emasculated by the top level of the department. Not one section manager could actually do the work that the techs do in this place, and it shows when they have to actually "pitch in" when their manager is around. If you voice concern you are labeled a cancer to the department even if your argument is entirely valid and it will constantly haunt you. Raises are pathetic as the company constantly praises itself for acheiving "milestones" that they should have hit years ago, but when it comes time to pay people they cry poor. There is zero incentive to work really hard because the performance rating system is bell curved to work against you. Every year they try to church it up with a different title but its the same rating structure. There is a fine line between the people who look at this place realistically, and the yes men crowd who have no qualm with ratting on you for anything you do. that doesnt toe the line. The department has trained them that such is the way to the top. There is no career path here as the people that are to advance were decided awhile ago. It is favoritism to a tee.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. You can't keep underpaying, under training and testing the limits of an already exhausted and spread thin workforce. See through the yes men facade and understand that there are serious flaws to your processes. The people who give a damn but have the balls to raise their concern will straighten out and truly produce for you if you actually try to invest in them and show them that you value them as employees. Hire a few of these people to be managers and you will be able to have a real structured team that are trained in all facets of the operations. Stop hiring people from Target. There is a reason they keep coming here and I can tell you right now it isn't the money. Fire the ones that can't hack instead of shuffling them around. You want good talent to work here then you need to get the morale of the current staff up, and the talent you desire will find it's way there. Word of mouth spreads fast.

"No appreciation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The wage seems to be decent. The benefits seem to be pretty good as well. Working with some great people but it pretty much stops there.

Cons

Been here for almost 4 years, have been working above the level that I am currently at, have been passed over for promotion twice. Have been forced to change shifts twice in the time I've been here due to business needs and because they needed someone experienced to move over, yet being passed over for said promotions. Big disconnect between engineering and technicians. Engineers responsible for the tools barely know how the tool works and have no practical experience with them, but believe that is to no fault of theirs and due to a lack of training.

Advice to Management

Figure out that the company runs on the little guy and not you and appreciate them more.

"Limitless chaos, fruitless sweat shop, thriving on nepotism"

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Several new tools and good investment in technology development
    2. Health insurance and compensation benefits are comparable to other semiconductor facilities

Cons

1. Most of the fab systems are under-developed and chaos thrives in the production environment. This forces a high level of manual work for engineering teams in the fab, causing a massive stress and workload crisis. Managers are aware of gaps but do not invest in addressing long term systematic issues. It is not uncommon to see most salaried engineers working 70+ hours every week for months in a row.
    2. No reward for hard working employees. Bonuses have been bypassed year-after-year due to the business situation. Promotions are very limited and are usually used as a playing card to satisfy employees that threaten to quit.
    3. Too much politics in the workplace making. Most technical decisions made my management are based more on politics rather than data from engineers. Workplace environment is very unfriendly and disturbing.
    4. Absolutely dysfunctional mid-level management that ignores and walks over their employees for the sake of making themselves look good to their next level managers. Top management is willfully ignorant of this and lives in their own land of elusive excellence.
    5. Changes in management are too frequent providing employees very little time under the same manager. This leads to managers grading employees in an arbitrary and questionable manner because they don't have sufficient time to evaluate the strengths/weaknesses of employees.
    6. No investment in employee-engagement or employee-development. Focus is on employees only when a scapegoat is needed for massive business and quality issues.

Advice to Management

1. Shed your arrogance and listen to the employees. Take some action....because people are quitting left, right and center.
    2. Fire all the mid-level managers because they are evasive, apathetic and self-centered. Recruit new ones from successful companies that know what management is and means.
    3. Stop the favoritism and nepotism towards the IBMers. Remember that IBM was a failing (now failed) fab and you can only expect failure if you get these guys to run the fab.
    4. Remember that your investors and AMD are not showering boundless affection. Once the cash runs out, you are gone. Do something to fix the situation. You certainly don't want to take the blame of shutting down the fab once and for all.