GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews | Glassdoor

GLOBALFOUNDRIES CEO Sanjay K. Jha
Sanjay K. Jha

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Sr. Dir of IT"

Pros

Alot of hard working people

Cons

Semi biz is very incestual

"Fired for no reason"

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good shift schedule, company is doing well

Cons

Overworked, poor management, wrongful termination

Advice to Management

Before someone is fired, you should tell them that they are in danger weeks before.

"I would rather not work here again"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Malta, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES as an intern

Pros

I was an intern working with a process improvement team. I'm a mechanical engineer, so right off the bat I wasn't doing anything that I found particularly interesting. So, I can't speak to technical internships. But I did find it interesting learning about how the chips are manufactured, and having the opportunity to explore the clean room. Also, my manager was friendly, easy-going, and passionate about the work we were doing.

Cons

Probably the largest issue I had here was that the internship project was very disorganized. Our manager walked us around the facility and introduced us to some contractors installing tools for the first few weeks, but then was caught up in his own work and other meetings- it seemed like he forgot about us for about a week. Then he assigned another manager to us who would report to him. Meanwhile, the information about the actual work the interns would be doing was very vague and undefined. We didn't start actual work until about halfway through a 10 week internship. We spent a lot of time sitting around waiting for meetings, of which some were cancelled anyway. I'm always very motivated to do good work and am excited to succeed, but I found it hard to stay optimistic about this internship. I didn't feel that we were treated in a professional manner either.

Advice to Management

I think it would be better if future internships of this nature were planned and organized completely, with committed a manager before assigning a team, so that they don't waste their own money on 11 interns doing almost nothing for 5 weeks.

"Poorly organized, needs better senior management to eliminate chaos."

Former Employee - Principal Technician in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Principal Technician in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Low stress (compared to the competition where I previously worked).

Cons

*The company is bloated, they have no idea what lean manufacturing is. All of their operating procedures are 10X longer than my previous employer. I could not keep up with my work sometimes because I was performing useless non-value added tasks that should be eliminated. When I brought this to the attention of my boss with some solutions, I was told there was nothing they can do, "that's just how it is." I was never told this at my previous employer. Maybe that's why this company will never be profitable.
    *Training is subpar. I had no idea how to use their company specific software to perform my job. They offer no additional training classes or online help. Their software is extremely complicated and non-intuitive to perform basic job functions.
    *I was a non-exempt hourly paid employee. This company did not properly pay me on several occasions, and it was always to their advantage. Yes, they eventually corrected their errors, but its up to you to force them to do it. I did not appreciate having to check every paycheck to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off. Get your payroll act together! I heard the same complaint from many employees, so I wasn't the only one.

Advice to Management

I have 20 years experience in hi-tech manufacturing, 14 of which are in semiconductors. Globalfoundries desperately needs to implement lean manufacturing methodology throughout the entire organization. You can't be profitable without eliminating waste (costs) that the customer is not willing to pay for. All I encountered at Globalfoundries was roadblocks, ineptitude, and non-motivated employees. That's why I left after less than a year of employment.

"senior engineer"

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

good medical insurance, good conditions

Cons

bad management , too many managers

"My Review"

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working shift schedule is nice.

Cons

Promotion and raises are an absolute joke. Actually, jokes are funnier....

"Sound bites"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

intelligent folks who make the mistake to join

Cons

Lazy folks who made the right decision to join

Advice to Management

Fire managers who don't perform, unfortunately there is no manager performance metric

"Stay away if you are a process or equipment engineer"

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Life is great in support group

Cons

Life sucks if you are in any engineering role because support group does;t provide any support and works 9-3 schedule. if you are a process or equipment engineer, you are screwed.

"Not a viable long term option for new college grad."

Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Latest and greatest technology. Company has deep wallets to invest in new equipment. Still going through growing pains which makes it easy to make a difference.

Cons

Understaffed. Yearly raises will leave you unsatisfied. Will recruit from outside sources and give out higher salaries and positions rather than promote and develop from within. Managers are managers, not leaders. No accountability.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Pay your employees what they deserve.

"Senior Equipment Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Equipment Engineer in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to work and learn as you see fit to achieve the goals you have. Engineering team members are good people and are fun to work with.

Cons

Accountability does not exist in any way, and there is no incentive to adhere or strive for others to adhere to the culture and standard that is attempting to be built.

Managers do not manage, or remove road blocks. They are more closely described as glorified reporters who do not stand up for the members of their team.

There is a massive disconnect between the top level management and the first and second line management. The top level have goals and ideas for the company, but that is somehow completely lost on its way down to the middle and lower management, who solely deal with whatever daily fire there is. It is possible that this exists because there is about six levels of management in between.

Pay raises and bonuses are an absolute joke here for any member of the team who is actually working hard to move up. There is far too much nihilism and less focus on actually performing the work, and more focus on having your name on every duplicate report that must be made in the redundant meetings that are held.

Slim to no actual focus on the people in the company. They are not treated as the most valuable resource and not taken care of as a result.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people. There is currently no incentive or reward to doing hard work.

Showing 266 of 1,072 reviews