GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews | Glassdoor

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Reviews

Updated November 5, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Just a job"

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can't think of any truly outstanding things that GF does for employees that set it apart from other companies.

Cons

The HR department is atrocious. Senior IT management is so out of touch with what really drives the revenue, and as such, focuses only on corporate IT and taking care of the technology needs of executives.

Advice to Management

Senior IT management should wake up and realize where the focus ought to be.

"No raises = High turnover rate"

Current Employee - Equipment Maintenance Technician in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Equipment Maintenance Technician in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady income and schedule. Flexible when emergencies come up. Good if you need the experience. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Manager couldn't care less about technicians and pretends to care about production when he is actually there, only to breathe down our backs like we don't know what we are doing. Have to wear the clean room suits the whole time on shift when it isn't necessary and other departments don't have to. Managers have no accountability, will leave for hours while on shift. No yearly raises, last years "bonus" was basically gas money for a week. Compared to the cost of living, pay is low. I have to live 40 minutes away just to afford a home for my family. Everyone in my department is looking for a new job after their contract is up.

Advice to Management

Engineers and technicians need better communication. Managers need to be reevaluated.

"overworked and poor mentorship"

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

learn lots, but must be self motivated

Cons

thrown into the wild and fend for yourself

"Not a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people in the company. Unfortunately, many may leave as a result of poor management or weak managers.

Cons

Way too many management levels, wrong people get promoted, ranking and rating system for employees is useless and meaningless, salary levels are all over the board for the same level employees, no real career paths, promises not honored by management

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of your own. There are too many Managers, particularly at senior levels. It appears that hiring friends into management positions is standard operating procedure.

"Maint Tech"

Current Employee - Equipment Maintenance Technician in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Equipment Maintenance Technician in Albany, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Cons

there is an operational norm to validate "what is", and/or "what I'm selling" opposed to this is best improvement despite personal glory.
    How an employee affects his or her coworkers is verbally encouraged but not a measurable in any way in any review format. This reinforces the "me" and "my glory" above all. That working atmosphere clogs the gears of true team work.

Advice to Management

Improve ground level employee involvement and respect. Fab direct labor employees get very little respect from the "office dwelling" staff.
    Although the site has made great strides forward in the last couple years, there is still needed improvements.
    This site needs to continue to improve on "new world manufacturing, 1st world manufacturing, Toyota principles" methodology of operations.
    i.e. there is still an operational norm to validate "what is", and/or "what I'm selling" opposed to this is best improvement despite personal glory.
    How an employee affects coworkers is verbally encouraged but not a measurable in any way in any review format. This reinforces the "me" and "my glory" above all working atmosphere which clogs the gears of true team work.

Over all not a terrible place to work, but it has a long way to climb before becoming truly attractive for "ground level" employment.
    For engineers and other "office dwelling" roles the site offers great opportunities and options.

"Unprofessional and Dysfunctional Environment"

Current Employee - Principal Technician in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Technician in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the area

Cons

No accountability, no structure, no data driven decisions, not a collaborative environment, very poor management, no respect for non-engineers, no training and no growth. It's a very immature environment, literally and figuratively. Many managers and engineers have no experience and are only two or three years out of college. The environment is very unprofessional and seems reminiscent of a poorly run high school.

Advice to Management

Change the culture. Look to improve the atmosphere. Close the gap between technician and engineer. Utilize all resources. Work as a team. Mentor your employees for growth.

"logistics sr tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits arent bad, they used to be better. schedule is great if your on shift. 3 on 4 off, then 4 on 3 off. differentials on the night shift (but they limit your pay if they know your going on nights to make up for it.

Cons

management sucks, pay is well undercut for the average- no extra pay for hazardous chemicals. training for important things that would be a three day class they cut and give it to you in a half hour and expect you to know exactly what is expected of you. forced vacations to make their budget look good. raises are all bull, promotions are few and far between. management takes credit for hard work of the actual workers, management also only seems to be able to email. If a whole shift walked out the managers would literally not be able to do the work. they hire contractors at very low wages so that way they dont have to pay their hard working employees fair shares. They treat ALL contractors like dogs/ slaves, and if there is any problem whatsoever they will fire them, without a glance.

Advice to Management

listen to employees when they say that you are telling them to do a procedure and we know it is wrong and have the docs. to prove it. learn the job and know it so you can see that things wont work out before you implement them.

"Principal Engineer"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Ballston Spa, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Ballston Spa, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good technical environment. Lot to learn. Good salary and benefits.

Cons

Highly political place. Grouping can been seen easily.

Advice to Management

Instead of playing politics pay attention on serious attention on targets.

9. "A good place to work? ...really?"

Current Employee - Principal Engineering Technician in Malta, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Engineering Technician in Malta, NY

I have been working at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay isn't bad, but overall, not up to industry standard. Benefits are good but they still use time clocks. ...Really?

Cons

The FAB is dark, noisy and because of the lack of good laminar air flow it runs on the warm side. I take a bath in my own sweat on a daily basis. Their factory systems are a joke.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old IBM'ers. Their stagnant old way of thinking will be the undoing of the company.

10. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malta, NY

I worked at GLOBALFOUNDRIES full-time

Pros

Salary and vacation. Clean facility

Cons

To many foreigners taking American jobs.

Advice to Management

Hire American

Showing 270 of 1,109 reviews